Which AR brand do you like better?

• Stag Arms

Votes: 38 70.4%
  • Smith & Wesson

Votes: 16 29.6%

AR Opinion, Stag or S&W

6K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  BAC 
#1 ·
I am thinking of getting myself an AR. I have an AK, but I want the American EBR in the collection as well.:image035:

I have narrowed it down, for my own reasons, to either a Stag Arms or a S&W AR. I would like to see what you all think. Just curious as to what the members here think is the better AR between these two.

And if you want to pitch a different brand, go a head. I'll listen to what ever you want to tell me.

#43 ·
I have a Stag, and I couldn't be happier. Put over 1000 rnds. of manufactured ammo, and well over 2000 of reloads through it, and have not had one single malfunction. Very accurate, and very reliable.

Higher cost, to me, doesn't mean higher quality. Pay for functionality, not the name. People told me long ago to buy a Beretta 92 FS, but I bought a Taurus PT99 instead. Basicaly he same gun, half the price, and just as good, IMHO. The M4 platform, same thing. Bushys, Stag, Wilson Combat, etc. to me are all the same. My Stag cost me $740 out the door, added a quad rail for $75, an MI rear sight for $40, and an EoTech for $340. $1195 total. I think that the big name brands are out there for the "Harley" types. I would put my life on my Stag, just as I would on the big names, and it didn't break the bank.

#45 ·
I appreciate everyone's input. I really do.

I spent a good bit of today doing research on the AR platform and some things I have learned are:

Gas key staking. Doing it properly is the best way to go BUT, it isn't as big an issue on a gun that is not a full auto model. The hex bolts rarely loosen if the gun is just a semi auto that is not subjected to prolonged sustained fire.

Parkerizing under the FSB is desirable but not a deal killer. Again, if the gun is not going to be carried around out in the weather and mud of a battlefield, no parkerizing under the FSB isn't a big thing to loose sleep over.

4140 or 4150 steel? Again, 4140 is not as desirable as the 4150 but, again, if not a full auto and just the occasional range gun and home defense gun, 4140 is fine.

The refiling twist rate, 1:7 or 1:9. From what I have read time and time again, a twist of 1:9 is fine as long as you do not plan on shooting out at very long distances. The 1:7 will stabilize heavier bullets like 75 grain when shooting out at long ranges and will shoot the top of the line self defense ammo a little better, again, out to further ranges. But I have to say guys, honestly, a 55 grain bullet fired at a bad guy at something like 50 to a couple hundred feet is going to screw someones day up royally. And I plan on this being a HOME defense gun. My house isn't the size of an airplane hanger.

What I have learned basically is this: I am not going to be going into combat in the jungle or the desert with this rifle. I am going to go to the range from time to time and other than that (and maybe a self defense rifle training course) it is going to be at home as a home defense rifle. And with that in mind, I honestly think that the Stag would serve me just fine in this role. So, at this point, I am still leaning towards the Stag.

If any of you have not seen this article and want to read some good info here is the link to So You Want To Buy An AR 15? and here is a link to what I have seen described many times as "The Chart" that compares specs between several different brands. THE CHART

#47 ·
Good job on the research indeed. Keep in mind that a barrel twist of 1.9 can shoot hundreds of yards. I have not had the chance to go out past 500 yards too many times (I live is a heavily forested area), but I have been accurate at 300 yards easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.