AR Opinion, Stag or S&W

AR Opinion, Stag or S&W

This is a discussion on AR Opinion, Stag or S&W within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am thinking of getting myself an AR. I have an AK, but I want the American EBR in the collection as well. I have ...

View Poll Results: Which AR brand do you like better?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stag Arms

38 70.37%
  • Smith & Wesson

16 29.63%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR Opinion, Stag or S&W

AR Opinion, Stag or S&W

I am thinking of getting myself an AR. I have an AK, but I want the American EBR in the collection as well.

I have narrowed it down, for my own reasons, to either a Stag Arms or a S&W AR. I would like to see what you all think. Just curious as to what the members here think is the better AR between these two.

And if you want to pitch a different brand, go a head. I'll listen to what ever you want to tell me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I voted S&W.

According to the chart here, the S&W has a properly setup BCG which is HPT/MPI tested (Stags are only batch tested) and the S&W has M4 feedrams whereas the Stag doesn't.

Though for the money I'd rather have one of these rifles:

BCM 16" Mid-Length Complete Rifle at G&R Tactical

or

Daniel Defense XV M4 Carbine at G&R Tactical

Both of which are pretty much blue straight down on the above linked chart...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

I learned more from this site than any other.

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

I bought a Colt, but many brands are discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    I voted S&W.

According to the chart here, the S&W has a properly setup BCG which is HPT/MPI tested (Stags are only batch tested) and the S&W has M4 feedrams whereas the Stag doesn't.

Though for the money I'd rather have one of these rifles:

BCM 16" Mid-Length Complete Rifle at G&R Tactical

or

Daniel Defense XV M4 Carbine at G&R Tactical

Both of which are pretty much blue straight down on the above linked chart...
    I REALLY like that AR featured in the second link! But, I am trying to stay in the $700 to $900 range.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I don't know anything about the Smith unit. Had a Stag 15 3L, myself, and liked it well enough.

If I were to get into the AR-15 game, I would take a serious look at this unit: Noveske N4 Light Shorty, Basic. It's in the $1500 neighborhood, plus extras, whereas the Stag's about $500 less for a more-basic AR.

I think that my Stag, fully configured with lefty/ambi everything, sights, and a better grip, was under $1200, including a stack of 4-20rd and 6-30rd magazines.

Something about the shorter layout has grabbed me. I'm much more comfortable with the Marlin 1894 .44mag lever-action rifle w/ a 16" bbl, AR platform with 10-12" bbl, 12ga shotgun with 12-14" bbl. For me, at least, the balance and ability to deal with coming around corners is helped sufficiently to reduce my anger over the BATFE being involved in such a decision. Had to do the ATF two-step on the shorty Remington 870P, with the 14" bbl. My Stag AR-15 had the standard 16" carbine bbl, but the Noveske "shorty" comes with a 10.5", requiring the NFA mess. *sigh*
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You may want to look a little further down the forum.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-exploded.html

I've never owned a S&W Product and most likely never will based on the BS they seem to be putting this gentleman through.

If your not looking for a gas piston gun, then I'd stay away from the S&W. Just my personal, and semi professional opinion.

Actually I'd rather go with BCM or LMT or maybe even Rock River before Stag or S&W.

If you look at Bravo Company USA, Inc. AR-15, M16, M4 Tactical Gear, Parts, Accessories. they have the BCM uppers and you purchase a lower from just about anybody and keep your rifle under $2000

As you can see in my recent thread I ponied up the LWRC M6A2 chambered in 6.8 SPC with a 14.7" bbl. and I couldn't be happier with my purchase, of course the LWRC is a short stroke gas piston, not a gas impingement operation, so the cost is probably out of the range that your looking for.

Go with BCM or LMT. That's just my humble opinion based on the quality of the uppers and lowers that I have owned and or shot. MPI tested, HPT tested, M4 feed ramps, M4 barrels extension and 4150 steel barrels with 1:7 twist.

Read more about the BCM uppers over @ Bravo Company USA, Inc. AR-15, M16, M4 Tactical Gear, Parts, Accessories.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Administrator
    In your price bracket, I'd go with the Rock River. Fit, finish, components and customer service blow the rest away in that bracket.
    "Just blame Sixto"

TN why not just build it. Not really all that difficult and might be cheaper that way.

Of the two choices go with Stag. They use CMT mfg. parts and CMT makes parts for the .mil guns.

If you can though, I would take the previously offered advice and go with a BCM upper and order a BCM lower to mate it to. Colt quality at a great price, for sure.

I own 2 stags (plus some others)- they have worked great - If you were going into battle, I would recommend something else. But for the 2-3000 rounds a year and with maintenance, they with be a dependable gun.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I vote S&W....but why not have any other options on this one to vote for?

Personally I would build it with mil-spec parts from spikestactical.com and other reputable sites.....but if it HAD to be b/w those two I would go with the S&W.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Id probably go Stag. Both fine guns. Stag makes a good product at a good price.

I've had both. Sold the S&W, kept the Stag. But really...you're picking the fly crap out of the pepper. There's not enough quality/durability difference between 'em to make anything but a subjective choice. (IMHO, of course)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    In your price bracket, I'd go with the Rock River. Fit, finish, components and customer service blow the rest away in that bracket.
    I'm with you on this one.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links