Thinking about buying some TEOTWAWKI rifles

This is a discussion on Thinking about buying some TEOTWAWKI rifles within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So here's what I'm thinking: I want 5 or 6 cheap, durable, simple and reliable repeating rifles (semi-auto is preferred, but manually cycling will be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about buying some TEOTWAWKI rifles

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar

So here's what I'm thinking:
    I want 5 or 6 cheap, durable, simple and reliable repeating rifles (semi-auto is preferred, but manually cycling will be considered).

My intent is to leave them packed in cosmoline along with a couple thousand rounds at a bug out location for the purpose of loaning to family and friends who happen by.

I would prefer .223 or 7.62x39. Commonly available ammo is an important factor (cheap ammo doesn't hurt either)

Local and state laws should not be a major concern as the weapons will be in Kansas.

My first thought is the SKS. What else should I consider?
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

mosin - nagant, I bought a case of 12 a couple of years ago - come in a really strong wooden box...

get a spam can of ammo and you are good to go!

If you're considering an SKS, it's tough to overlook the AK. Production volume is estimate at ~90,000,000 (!?!). Uh,...so spare parts shouldn't be a problem.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

The AK would be a great choice were cost not in the equation. I do have one for myself, but I'd like to keep the cost of this project around $1000-1500. I might get 2-3 AKs for that, but quantity is also important.

The Mosin-Nagant is a great suggestion. The price is certainly right. I don't see the ammo as often as 7.62x39, but should probably be able to get enough of it before the zombocalypse. Bolt action is a minor disadvantage, but not a deal killer.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

a great choice were cost not in the equation.
    What's your budget?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Classic Arms Inc.

$389 each. You can probably get 3 plus ammo/accesories and stay within budget.

ROMANIAN AK RIFLE

FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSE REQUIRED FOR PURCHASE
    THE ORIGINAL WASR-10 HI-CAP ROMANIAN AK RIFLE. WE HAVE PROBABLY SOLD MORE UNITS OF THIS AK RIFLE OVER THE YEARS THAN ALL OF OUR OTHER AK TYPES COMBINED. 7.62X39, SEMI-AUTO, RIFLE ITSELF IS FULLY U.S. COMPLIANT TO ACCEPT ALL HIGH CAP MAGS AND DRUMS REGARDLESS OF THEIR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN. THIS IS THE BEST VALUE ON THE MARKET FOR AN ENTRY LEVEL AK RIFLE.... COMES COMPLETE WITH 1-30 RD MAG, SLING CLEANING KIT, OILER AND MANUAL...........ROM-AK.......$389.95
    Oh and ditch the cosmoline. It is so WWI. Get some Mylar bags, heavily oil the firearm, add silica gel dessicants, and seal with an iron. Cut it open, run a patch down the barrel for safety, and you are ready to fire. Cosmoline takes hours to clean.

I did something different...
    I sold my AR and bought a couple of other rifles, a Marlin 336SS and a Henry .22mag. Plenty of firepower, lots of extra ammo and all the security I need around the house without scaring the sheep.
    I'm satisified with the trade-off.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I sold my AR and bought a couple of other rifles, a Marlin 336SS and a Henry .22mag. Plenty of firepower, lots of extra ammo and all the security I need around the house without scaring the sheep.
    I'm kinda thinkin' the same thing. Instead of dumping $X,000 on a new rifle, maybe I'll stock up on .30-.30 and .30-06 to feed the old Winchesters.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Darn it! I was all set to buy an AR and you had to go post this. Got to admit it has some appeal to me. Maybe not the same mix of guns, but something besides an AR. I'll have to ponder this for awhile.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Classic Arms Inc.

Oh and ditch the cosmoline. It is so WWI. Get some Mylar bags, heavily oil the firearm, add silica gel dessicants, and seal with an iron. Cut it open, run a patch down the barrel for safety, and you are ready to fire. Cosmoline takes hours to clean.
    +1 on avoiding the cosmoline, it can be a bear to get off the guns and time may be of the essence in the scenario you describe.

+1 on the Mosin-Nagants. They can be found between $80 and $150 each (watch Big 5 for a sale) and the 7.62x54r is a formidable round. Spam cans of 440 rounds are currently going for about $80-$90.
    Last edited by PastorPack; September 30th, 2009 at 12:32 PM.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member
    I recently did the exact same thing as well, with the exception of a Remington 552 Speedmaster instead of the Henry. You can still get a Marlin 336 (non stainless) from Wallyworld for about $341. Some will recall me agonizing over an AR a while back, and ended up with this solution based on some really good feedback from this board.

I would suggest that you buy Marlin lever actions. They are reasonably priced, and easy to learn manual of arms. They are some of the strongest and most dependable firearms around.

Ammo is always available in 357 mag, 44mag, and 30-30.

Whatever else you get, include a few Mosin-Nagant’s. They are dirt cheap, indestructible, and pretty darn accurate. There is still plenty of cheap surplus 7.62x54R ammo available, and it is a powerful cartridge similar to a .308 or 30-06.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

A Marlin lever gun in .44 or .357 would without a doubt be a great SHTF rifle and I have considered getting one.

Unfortunately, while I could probably afford one or two, I'm not so sure about 5.

I have arms available for myself and Mrs. Warcrimes. What I'm really looking at is my two brothers, sister (she only has shotguns and a pistol), and their families out in California. When it comes down to it (training aside), 5 people with a bolt action beats 1 with an AR any day of the week.

I'm starting to have a bit of reservation about the Mosin-Nagant because of the recoil. It might not be a good beginner rifle. The price however is certainly right.

My hope is to keep it down to $100-250 per rifle.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

One of the things I would look at is what range are you expecting to possibly be engaging targets at? If you are talking about clear fields of fire going out six hundred plus yards then a real rifle caliber would be called for. If you are talking about a cabin in the woods with a maximum range of one hundred fifty yards things are a little different.

Would some pistol caliber carbines like the Hi point work?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links