I think I'm gonna go with the M1!

This is a discussion on I think I'm gonna go with the M1! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Based of my last thread in which one should I get... http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...new-rifle.html I've decided I'm gonna go for the Garand. I know I will inherit ...

Thread: I think I'm gonna go with the M1!

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Thumbs up I think I'm gonna go with the M1!

Based of my last thread in which one should I get...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...new-rifle.html

I've decided I'm gonna go for the Garand. I know I will inherit another one god forbid my father in law passes, so it won't hurt to have two. I do want a Dragunov at some point, and will get one down the road... but I can hold off on that for a while as someone mentioned there are warehouses of them in Soviet bloc states, and that the price will be pretty steady on a Romanian Dragunov or a variant. So it's not a matter of if I get a Dragunov, it's more of when. I think I'm convinced I can hold off on the Dragunov for a while.

That leads me to my next question... what can one expect to pay for a regular half decent run of the mill M1 Garand? I looked on Gunbroker and saw everything from a bent and dent around $400
    M1 Garand Springfield 1,978,xxx : Curios and Relics at GunBroker.com

Clear up to mint condition for $1000+.
    Springfield M1 Garand in 30-06, Mint! : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

I'm not looking to break the bank, but would also like a decent Garand. I'm assuming they are pretty tough guns, I'm not looking for anything purdy so a bent and dent is fine to me, as long as it shoots and it's reliable I'm happy. What do you guys think?

What would you pay? Pros and cons of a bent and dent or a mint condition etc...

Thanks again for the help.

2. Remove Ads

Check out the CMP

Military surplus, some of it in pretty good shape.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Try Civilian Marksmanship Program. You have to qualify for a direct purchase, ( no FFL involved, sent to your doorstep). The condition varies so read the descriptions. The price is very reasonable. They also have M1 Carbines.

Could someone give me a brief lowdown on this CMP?

VIP Member
    Last December I had to make a trip out to Texas and it just so happened that the CMP store in Anniston AL was just right along the way (credit card still recovering) and picked up 3 Garands and an M-1 Carbine plus 1000 rounds of 30/06 ammo. Before leaving I filled out the paperwork online plus took a copy of my birth certificate, shooting club membership card (CMP affiliate) and CCW. After they check you in at the front window they send you to the back where they check your paperwork then give you the go ahead to shop. The store not only had Garands and Carbines but other rifles that are not listed on their website such as M1903 Springfields and 30/40 Krags. Hardest part was picking out which ones you want to buy, the people there are happy to answer any questions you may have and rifles are sorted according to grade and price. After choosing your rifles take them to the window then back to the back to pay. After paying you come back around to the front where they verify the serial numbers and you take possession of your rifles. All in all no hassle and great people to deal with. Being in Pennsylvania you might want to make a road trip to Camp Perry and check out the CMP store there.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'm a true believer in the M1. I'll lose the AR 15 long before I'd ever give up an M1.

I also like the CMP program. I've ordered a few rifles from them over the years and have seen a number of other CMP guns. The rifles tend to be in better mechanical condition than they are represented to be.

Hate to say it but there's not a dime's difference in the $400 rifle and the $1400 - $5 rifle that you chose for illustrative purposes. The $400 gun is a deal and the $1395 gun is a rip. That impressive listing of drawing numbers and parts revision numbers only indicates is that it is a generic rebuilt rifle. "100% original and correct" means exactly what? That it is exactly like a million and one other existing M1 rifles that were arsenal rebuilt?

The more expensive rifle has the nicest stock but not really by that much. For the $995 difference one could disassemble the $400 rifle and catalog and list the markings of the individual parts. Such a listing doesn't add value. Both of the auction rifles feature receivers that were manufactured during WWII. One wishes that they could talk.

I don't imagine that decent looking $400 rifle will be that low by the weekend.

Here's a link for the CMP.
    M1 Garand Sales

Check out that "service grade" Springfield (SA) listed for $595. Even the lesser grades are quite serviceable. Also review the DMP grading criteria at the bottom of the page.

180 days.... that’s quite a long time to wait for a rifle. To be honest I'd rather buy one privately or at my local FFL. I guess what I’m looking for is what would an average price be for one so I know I’m not getting ripped, but I’m not getting a POS at the same time.

VIP Member
    I too have been pondering the purchase of a Garand through the CMP, and yes 180 days is a long time, however, I think it will be worth the savings.

Not just the savings, it's worth supporting the CMP. Keeping CMP activity at levels that tell regulatory & legislative agencies to KEEP THEIR PAWS OFF the program. A dip in the volume of CMP purchases would be cause for the anti-RKBA factions to drool with anticipatory delight. I can imagine the resulting propaganda headlines "America Says NO to Surplus Military Arms!". So, by all means, buy CMP offerings .
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    And if you're not in a hurry, check these out...............

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...m1-garand.html

No word on when these will hit the ground. I've been hearing rumours about these for years.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Links