The new Ruger SR-556

The new Ruger SR-556

This is a discussion on The new Ruger SR-556 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I posted a thread a few days ago where I was trying to decide between the Stag Model 2 or the S&W M&P 15 for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new Ruger SR-556

The new Ruger SR-556

I posted a thread a few days ago where I was trying to decide between the Stag Model 2 or the S&W M&P 15 for my first AR. I had decided on the Stag but then today I read about the Ruger SR-556 and I saw a segment on the rifle on tonight's Guns & Ammo TV show!

I really like the look of this gun and I am intrigued by the claims that it being a piston driven gun instead of a direct gas impingement system, that the gun runs cleaner and cooler than a standard AR.

It's a bit out of my price range (at least by the MSRP) but I sure like the way it looks)

I doubt anyone has one of these yet (I could be wrong and if I am please post your experiences with the gun) but has anyone else researched this rifle and if so, I'd like to hear thoughts on it.

If you want to see the page on Ruger's web site you can find it HERE
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I played with one at the local gunne shoppe; I like it, but it's a heavy tank of a rifle.

Piston systems do run cooler & cleaner at the bolt than DGI guns, that's a fact; however, for most recreational shooters, that's a non-issue; it really only rears it's head under extremely adverse conditions, when shooting full-auto, or when using a supressor.

I think it's a cool rifle, but at that price point, I think I'd rather get a Colt 6940 or a Noveske.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Administrator
    Its far overpriced. If you really want one, I'd wait until the market cools off on them. You should be able to pick one up at a reasonable price in a year or two.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The "expert" behind the counter at my local gunshop told me they have been having problems with the bolt. Apparently the piston has been driving the bolt back at an angle resulting in some metal getting shaved off. He didn't clarify too much more, seemed to be of the opinion that no one should buy a Ruger firearm until 1 year in or "after the first recall."

I've played with a few at stores and I saw someone shooting one at the 50 yard line with all sorts of stupid attachments on it, seemed like he was getting good groups.

BAC
    Rainyday, that phenomenon is called "carrier tilt", and is more or less present in about every op-rod driven AR unless some clever design changes are given to the bolt or to the buffer (this link also has some pictures of what's getting 'shaved off' due to carrier tilt). Personally, I love the way the KAC PDW and Remington/Bushmaster ACR handle this, but that's my personal opinion.

I agree with SIXTO. You can do much better for the same money.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

I'm with Sixto on this one; not to mention the inevitable bugs that always seem to occur with Ruger's new product entries, I'll just hang back for a year or two and look and see......

Or, I will just buy a piston top end for $400 from somebody and retrofit what I already have....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I'll wait for the post recall models to come out LOL I kid I kid!

I agree with SIXTO on this one, wait for it to go down in price.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member
    I don't know what in the heck has gotten into me, but I am tending to agree with SIXTO a lot lately!

By the way just to add a bit more, don't be the guinea pig on this new rig. Let them get a few under their belt.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Good news, Stag has a piston gun in left and right versions.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

I just can't trust it. I'd wait until it's proven or go with another version of the piston system.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Haven't heard much about the Ruger yet..but if you like piston AR platforms check out LWRC. They seem to have a "cult" following. Only hear good things about their rifles.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

kpw
    I'm hoping they turn out to be good rifles. Local shop just got some in and they look nice for $1499. Little heavy up front but that's expected with the piston and Troy quad rail.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Looks like a nice rifle, but not enough to make me want to pay $2,000 for a basic AR.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP4ever View Post
    Looks like a nice rifle, but not enough to make me want to pay $2,000 for a basic AR.
    Are they really going for that much? A shop here has them for $1499 new. Seemed like a decent price for a piston AR and other equipment.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

yea....bout $1500 should be the norm..... have not heard from a hands on point of view, but seems to have lots of neat things to it....... primarily on MY list is the adjustable piston control. 4 diff. settings for diff. ammo. Lets you shoot great ammo to crappy ammo just by adjusting the gas control. Even has a setting to lock the bolt for single shot use with a suppressor! :)
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links