Home Defense ammo? - Page 2

Home Defense ammo?

This is a discussion on Home Defense ammo? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Those are "Game Loads" like the picture of the bird on the box... not a defensive load... it's good for birds, snakes and skeet, not ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Defense ammo?

VIP Member
    Those are "Game Loads" like the picture of the bird on the box... not a defensive load... it's good for birds, snakes and skeet, not bad guys... Get some sort of buckshot load... those aren't bad for practice or plinking, but not defense... I'd keep them, you'll use them for something...

Buck shot typically comes in 5 round boxes and will run around $5-8/box. Get some different sizes of buckshot (#4, #1, 0, 00) and see which patterns best in your shotgun. Stay with the 2 3/4" loads, there's really no need for 3" loads in defensive situations...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Those are "Game Loads" like the picture of the bird on the box... not a defensive load... it's good for birds, snakes and skeet, not bad guys... Get some sort of buckshot load... those aren't bad for practice or plinking, but not defense... I'd keep them, you'll use them for something...

Buck shot typically comes in 5 round boxes and will run around $5-8/box. Get some different sizes of buckshot (#4, #1, 0, 00) and see which patterns best in your shotgun. Stay with the 2 3/4" loads, there's really no need for 3" loads in defensive situations...
    thanks!! i was thinking the same about the bird as he suggested this box, but i was like eh ill use these to fire the first shots LOL.

ill go out tomorrow and get some better shells!! i like the black shells some guys have, what are those? even the clear shells are sweet!!

VIP Member
    Just about any brand of buckshot will do...Remington, Winchester Super-X, Federal... I think the dark shells are mil-spec loads... not sure about the clear shells... Check ammunitiontogo.com they have some pretty good deals on buckshot, even some LE, LE reduced recoil loads and mil-spec loads...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Just about any brand of buckshot will do...Remington, Winchester Super-X, Federal... I think the dark shells are mil-spec loads... not sure about the clear shells... Check ammunitiontogo.com they have some pretty good deals on buckshot, even some LE, LE reduced recoil loads and mil-spec loads...
    whats LE??

VIP Member
    LE = Law Enforcement... Some loads are reduced recoil or could be a hotter than standard load... Also, buffered loads will typically pattern better... the pellets will not deform, so the pattern stays smaller... I just looked at ammunition to go and they had a good selection of loads in stock, check them out...

Many retailers won't stock LE loads... The manufacturers typically designate them for sale only to LE agencies...It's not against any law for you to buy or have them, they are just harder to get unless you order them from someplace like ammo to go...

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Birdshot can do some nasty damage at extremely close ranges, but I still use 00 buck, more specifically Federal LE Tactical 2 3/4" 9 pellet 00 buckshot. Even birdshot is better than nothing, and I can certainly understand using it in an apartment because some of those walls are super thin.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

TX-JB is tellin' ya' straight.

And that's fair dinkum.

Biker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links