My New SKS

This is a discussion on My New SKS within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Before replacing parts, you might want to look into 922r law requirements/compliance....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My New SKS

Before replacing parts, you might want to look into 922r law requirements/compliance.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by gumaro View Post
    Before replacing parts, you might want to look into 922r law requirements/compliance.
    Correct you need to have at least 10 US made parts to get over that. I remember that there were kits you could purchase to install 10 US parts.

Here is a version of that kit: http://www.sksman.com/part/parts3.php

VIP Member
    They are a fun gun. Moderately accurate and completely reliable. I would find some 30 rnd mags for it and attatch whatever you want. "Useful" is a pretty generic comment. Years ago this was my play gun, so I added a lot of toys to it. You can find anything you want at cheaper than dirt or brownells.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    congrats
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

There's just something beautiful about the com-bloc guns that I love. Be it the durability, the reliability, or the dirt cheap ammo(well, compared to most ammo prices nowadays it still is), it's just hard to go wrong with one as a defensive rifle or "fun" gun.

I always kick myself for not buying at least one when they were $120 or less. I always assumed that with as many of them made it into the states they'd never go over $150.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Thanks for the input everyone.

To clarify, my particular stock has a picatinny(sp?) rail in front of the bolt, so it doesn't seem like tapping the receiver would be necessary. You can kind of see it in the pic.

Do they make any bipods that would be useful for this particular gun? I think that would be an interesting and useful piece if it would fold up onto the bottom of the gun like some of the FALs have. A scope would be cool, but I don't know what sort of accuracy to expect.

On magazines, most of you are saying that stripper clips work well. I like the idea of a removable mag, and as I understand, the norinco models normally have much less trouble with the detachable mags than the Yugos and Russians.

In summary, I'm looking into a bipod, scope, and detachable mags. Are these things that would be useful, fun, or would they just detract from the rifle?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sddykstr View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone.

To clarify, my particular stock has a picatinny(sp?) rail in front of the bolt, so it doesn't seem like tapping the receiver would be necessary. You can kind of see it in the pic.

Do they make any bipods that would be useful for this particular gun? I think that would be an interesting and useful piece if it would fold up onto the bottom of the gun like some of the FALs have. A scope would be cool, but I don't know what sort of accuracy to expect.

On magazines, most of you are saying that stripper clips work well. I like the idea of a removable mag, and as I understand, the norinco models normally have much less trouble with the detachable mags than the Yugos and Russians.

In summary, I'm looking into a bipod, scope, and detachable mags. Are these things that would be useful, fun, or would they just detract from the rifle?
    For some reason and I could be wrong, but I thought SKS's had clips and not mags.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I don't know that I know the difference if we are being honest. The tapco website calls them magazines, so does cheaperthandirt. I read the reviews on the 20 rd mag by tapco and they were all good. I'm thinking that would be an interesting possibility. How accurate are these norinco sks rifles? If it's worth a damn, I might consider buying a bipod and scope for the hell of it. If it would make it more fun or useful, I'd be down with spending a little more money to outfit it. The only bipod I found for the sks had crappy reviews, so I'm not sure where to look there.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sddykstr View Post
    I don't know that I know the difference if we are being honest. The tapco website calls them magazines, so does cheaperthandirt. I read the reviews on the 20 rd mag by tapco and they were all good. I'm thinking that would be an interesting possibility. How accurate are these norinco sks rifles? If it's worth a damn, I might consider buying a bipod and scope for the hell of it. If it would make it more fun or useful, I'd be down with spending a little more money to outfit it. The only bipod I found for the sks had crappy reviews, so I'm not sure where to look there.
    The are pretty accurate at 100 to 150 yards, after that they start dropping. As far as mags or clips, the SKS's that I have shot had strips that were loaded from the top. It is pretty slow if you are not used to it.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    They're magazines... Though, since the non-detachable mags can be difficult to reload, stripper clips are used to load them sometimes...

A magazine is an ammunition storage and feeding device within or attached to a repeating firearm. Magazines may be integral to the firearm (fixed) or removable (detachable). The magazine functions by moving the cartridges stored in the magazine into a position where they may be loaded into the chamber by the action of the firearm.

A clip is a device that is used to store multiple rounds of ammunition together as a unit, ready for insertion into the magazine of a repeating firearm.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

HEY!!! RIGHT ON, WITH THE SKS!!!!

Heya!! Nice rifle...I got myself a Norinco SKS serial # makes it made between '68-70.

This rifle is a 'hoot to shoot. Awesome out to 150+yrds!. I've also done a few things to it. All I need is a cheap red dot sight.

First pic is the over view.

Second is a close up of the scout scope mount.Scope mounts for your AK or SKS rifle

Third is the bipod setup. Harris bipod

Fourth is a close up on the fiber front sight I put on it. Fire sight.
    Attached Images

Well here are the better pics as promised. I really dig that harris bipod; is it worth the money spent? Thanks to the member that sent me the manuals as well, I'm sure they will provide a lot of good reading for me!
    Attached Images

B52
    Nice, I have a Yugo with the same TAPCO setup.

It seems solid. Any opinions about the bipod, scope, or detachable mags?

B52
    I really like the TAPCO mags, they have been very reliable with my SKS. I only shoot iron sights with the SKS so I can't help too much with the scope. Nice rifle!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links