My New SKS - Page 3

My New SKS

This is a discussion on My New SKS within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by sddykstr Thanks for the input everyone. To clarify, my particular stock has a picatinny(sp?) rail in front of the bolt, so it ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My New SKS

Quote Originally Posted by sddykstr View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone.

To clarify, my particular stock has a picatinny(sp?) rail in front of the bolt, so it doesn't seem like tapping the receiver would be necessary. You can kind of see it in the pic.

Do they make any bipods that would be useful for this particular gun? I think that would be an interesting and useful piece if it would fold up onto the bottom of the gun like some of the FALs have. A scope would be cool, but I don't know what sort of accuracy to expect.

On magazines, most of you are saying that stripper clips work well. I like the idea of a removable mag, and as I understand, the norinco models normally have much less trouble with the detachable mags than the Yugos and Russians.

In summary, I'm looking into a bipod, scope, and detachable mags. Are these things that would be useful, fun, or would they just detract from the rifle?
    The link I gave you is for a sight that sits in the spot where the original sight is. No tapping, or drilling required. I like this particular one because its not on the rear cover, doesn't force me to modify or alter the receiver, and isn't mounted on the gas tube. The rear cover mount, and the gas tube mount are what I consider to be unstable mounting spots.

I love the Harris....I have two of them.

The Scout Scope mount is sweet. Though the rail does get in the way for the lever that unlocks the gas system..but still is more stable that the other areas.

Best option IMO. I'm still in the market for detach mags also.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    They're magazines... Though, since the non-detachable mags can be difficult to reload, stripper clips are used to load them sometimes...

A magazine is an ammunition storage and feeding device within or attached to a repeating firearm. Magazines may be integral to the firearm (fixed) or removable (detachable). The magazine functions by moving the cartridges stored in the magazine into a position where they may be loaded into the chamber by the action of the firearm.

A clip is a device that is used to store multiple rounds of ammunition together as a unit, ready for insertion into the magazine of a repeating firearm.
    That makes sense, because that is exactly how I have seen them loaded (from the top). I don't know if I would want to be in a fire fight with having to load that way, but I assume you get quicker with time.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Hey everyone, this is my new norinco sks with the tapco telescoping stock. I haven't had a chance to shoot it, but it seems like it will be a blast (pun intended). This is my first high-powered rifle compared to my handgun and shotgun.

Sorry the pic is crap, I just got home and my camera was dead so I had to use the trusty cell phone cam. What do you guys think?
    Just curious what the weight is on this rig? Have you weighed it? I would guess about 6.5 to 7 .lbs?

It feels about 7 pounds or so, but I haven't had the time to weigh it.

As far as the scope goes, you're saying I should skip the rail and get the scope mount for the stability factor?

The harris bipod, where is a good place to get one, and how would I go about finding the right one and attaching it to my particular sks?

Thank everyone so much for the replies and input!

VIP Member

As far as the scope goes, you're saying I should skip the rail and get the scope mount for the stability factor?

The harris bipod, where is a good place to get one, and how would I go about finding the right one and attaching it to my particular sks?

7 pounds is good, watch out when you start adding stuff! haha

Well, its what I would do/will be doing to my Yugo. I dont care for mounting it on the rear cover or gas tube mounted rail, because when you disassemble for cleaning, you lose zero. I also don't care for my scope to be that far forward, though that's my preference. Also, IIRC, if you remove the rail form the scout scope mount, it has notched iron sight style sights on it, so it functions as a traditional rear sight.

btw, heres some links for you.

Survivor's SKS Boards - Index

Paul's Guns - The SKSMAN - Products Listing Page- Your source for SKS Rifle and AK-47 accessories

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Very cool SKS Bullpup stock kit...

Price seems pretty reasonable too

Shernic Gun Works

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links