My New SKS

My New SKS

This is a discussion on My New SKS within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey everyone, this is my new norinco sks with the tapco telescoping stock. I haven't had a chance to shoot it, but it seems like ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My New SKS

My New SKS

Hey everyone, this is my new norinco sks with the tapco telescoping stock. I haven't had a chance to shoot it, but it seems like it will be a blast (pun intended). This is my first high-powered rifle compared to my handgun and shotgun.

Sorry the pic is crap, I just got home and my camera was dead so I had to use the trusty cell phone cam. What do you guys think?
    Attached Images

I'm sure you will enjoy it. These are good solid guns, quite accurate and reliable. The aftermarket stock is a big plus. I never can shoot an AK or SKS worth beans with the too short issue stocks, but both come alive when the stock fits.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Nice rifle.
    Semper Fi

Nice rifle. I remember buying two of them for $119 a piece (Yugo) in 2006. Ending up giving them to my father and my brother. I wonder how much they are going for now.

VIP Member
    It's one of the best defensive platforms going, simple and reliable. I actually prefer it to the semi-automatic versions of the AK. I gave each of my three sons one when they turned of age. (they only cost $79 ea back then) The short stock issue is easily remedied. I even found a paratroop version (shorter bbl) called the DM (detchable mag) that acepts AK mags and drums. It's my wife's crowd control tool.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

How about an update after your first shoot?

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Nice rifle! Enjoy shooting it and let us know how it feels.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'll let you know how it shoots when I get a chance. Is there anything useful that I could add to this rifle?

I've read about scopes and such, and the general consensus would be to skip them. It has a picatinny rail up front, but I doubt I'll scope it as it already has some cool ghost ring style sights. I'm just interested in anyone's opinion on and must-haves or things that would be useful.

I'll try to post a better pic when I get back from work later tonight.

Thanks!

I put a scopy on mine but the rear cover shifts too easily. If you do it, get a scope that requires you to drill and tap the receiver and mount there.

All I put on mine is a tec sight(peep) and its a fun gun to shoot.It may not be as accurate as an ar15 or something like that but its plenty accurate for chest shots out to 100 yds.Just use the factory 10 round fixed mag and stripper clips.With a little practice they can be loaded pretty fast,you don't need the extended mags and such.Besides you can carry a lot more clips than you can mags.I've tried to make mine jam and I can't,so its a great rifle..sj

Very nice tactical rifle. I dont know much about them (im a AR guy) but by looking at the pic......does that take a mag, or a stripper clip?

Pretty sweet! Been a long time since I had my Russian. Say....where's the bayonet?

If you want, I think I have a ton of information on the SKS's, (just have to find the PDF's) if you want them let me know.

Ok found them. Shoot me a pm with your email.

VIP Member
    Because of my old eyes, I replaced the rear cover with one that has 1" rings and locking screws which tighten against the receiver (one of which I lock tighted and the other I retension to "feel" for consistency.) It allows you to see the BUIS (back up iron sights) inder the Millet 3moa red dot. They shoot into a mil (1000 of the range...approx 3.6" @ 100yds.) So by the time groups open up too far, their effective power has also diminished. Intermediate ranges indicate the 308, and long ranges the 338 IMHO.

I fluffed and buffed the trigger mechanism, so it has a long but smooth pull. My SKS is the most fun rifle to shoot, by far.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Im not sure if you can mount it on that stock, but this scope mount doesnt need a deflector plate, and doesnt suffer from shifting mount points.

SKS Sight Base And Scope Rail With Black Anodized Finish : Scout Scopes

Im about to buy one soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links