The best CQ long arm weapon IMHO - Page 2

The best CQ long arm weapon IMHO

This is a discussion on The best CQ long arm weapon IMHO within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by C hawk Glock SIXTO, You were on a roll! Then you come back with this? Just when I have been in total ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The best CQ long arm weapon IMHO

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    SIXTO,

You were on a roll! Then you come back with this? Just when I have been in total agreement with you lately, you bust out the knife comment! hahaha

Let me ask you this, what if the other guy has a gun? Ever heard the old saying about bringing a knife to a gun fight?
    Stick around C hawk, you'll see soon enough sometimes I just like to stir the pot and shake up some good conversation. Those who have 'known' me around here for some time can pick up pretty easy when I'm playing devils advocate or not.

Knives have their place, but its not in a gun fight.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Gentlemen, I beg your forbearance. The subject is CQ LONG ARMS. Admittedly, one may have to confront a punk with a knife ( in actuality it is a frequent occurrence ) & knowing how to deal with it is important. I have had to twice ( as an LEO ( a wife with a kitchen knife & a crazy out of nowhere )), in the past & I have the scars to prove it. If you confront me on the street today ( I am 68 years old ) you will see that I carry a "Stick"( either a staff or a cane ) & I know how to use them. ( yes I do carry a gun also )

This the brings back to LONG ARMS. If a Punk was prowling, then I would call 911 & prepare to confront him or them if they were so stupid to as to try to enter, they or him, would face my 12 ga. or at least my hand gun. Why not my SOCOM ??? "COLLATERAL DAMAGE. among other reasons. Note - this a draw back to using most rifles, with "stopping power" ( although some ammo will mitigate this problem )

If it were a "home invasion" & if I had the time or was in position to acquire my SG then .. If not then my ever present hand gun.

Puffer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Stick around C hawk, you'll see soon enough sometimes I just like to stir the pot and shake up some good conversation. Those who have 'known' me around here for some time can pick up pretty easy when I'm playing devils advocate or not.

Knives have their place, but its not in a gun fight.
    SIXTO,

I actually like your posts they are pretty thought provoking, but read my sig......
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by puffer View Post
    Gentlemen, I beg your forbearance. The subject is CQ LONG ARMS. Admittedly, one may have to confront a punk with a knife ( in actuality it is a frequent occurrence ) & knowing how to deal with it is important. I have had to twice ( as an LEO ( a wife with a kitchen knife & a crazy out of nowhere )), in the past & I have the scars to prove it. If you confront me on the street today ( I am 68 years old ) you will see that I carry a "Stick"( either a staff or a cane ) & I know how to use them. ( yes I do carry a gun also )

This the brings back to LONG ARMS. If a Punk was prowling, then I would call 911 & prepare to confront him or them if they were so stupid to as to try to enter, they or him, would face my 12 ga. or at least my hand gun. Why not my SOCOM ??? "COLLATERAL DAMAGE. among other reasons. Note - this a draw back to using most rifles, with "stopping power" ( although some ammo will mitigate this problem )

If it were a "home invasion" & if I had the time or was in position to acquire my SG then .. If not then my ever present hand gun.

Puffer
    Puffer,

Not fair, you lure us in with that title of your thread! haha that is pretty funny because I must admit that I didn't fully read the title..
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Puffer,

Not fair, you lure us in with that title of your thread! haha that is pretty funny because I must admit that I didn't fully read the title..
    NOT FAIR I thought the Marquess of Queensberry Rules did not apply. SORRY

BTW, I will give you a "hint" = When you do your threat assessment, "Beware of "old Geezers" especially those who wear KILTS.

Puffer

Administrator
    Beware of old dude who wear kilts and call themselves "puffer".

I sure will, you dont have to warn me twice
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    SIXTO,

I actually like your posts they are pretty thought provoking, but read my sig......
    You lack the tact that Sixto has acquired, and he usually doesn't go out of his way to piss off the staff with this signatures.

Sixto doesnt piss off the mods just every XD or Hi-Point owner...and a few others here and there. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Moderator
    I'll take a 12" or 14" 870 with a bayonet attached.

With my tomahawk backup, I think that about covers the CQB stuff.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Sixto doesnt piss off the mods just every XD or Hi-Point owner...and a few others here and there. LOL
    Hey, sometimes the truth hurts.

Back to topic, I guess I have a different definition of CQB than others. There is no way I want a long gun in a up close and personal fight. CQB to me means contact distance or with very little room to operate. Give me a pistol or knife for that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I agree that a 12 gauge shotgun is the best CQB weapon, but as far as which, my preference is the shotgun that my wife gave me for my birthday 6 weeks ago- the Saiga semiauto. Slap a 20 round drum magazine, and cut loose! The Saiga is made in the same Russian plants as the AK 47. and is built on the AK design, which should say a lot about it's reliability. It was a fantastic present. The 20 rd drums cost quite a bit, around $269, so it will be a while before I get one. I did just get 4 12 round mags yesterday that I ordered. Also, I have to have a conversion done to the gun before I use those mags, as I have to change it from the "sporter" configuration that was used to comply with US laws, and I need to make sure that I have enough US made parts before I do anything that changes it from a sporter to military configuration. But, I'll get that done in the near future.

I'll go along with the shotgun as being my choice for a HD firearm. I have a Benelli Nova H20 and a Benelli M1-S90 as my primaries and a Winchester Defender as a backup.

I would like to address the issue of round count that has been brought up by a few here. While I will freely accept that anything is possible, the likelihood of needing more than one round of proper shotgun ammo per assailant at close range is very low. Not so with a handgun. All of my shotguns are loaded with 3" Magnum #4 Buckshot rounds with the last round in the magazine being a Hydra-Shok slug. My HD handgun is loaded with 17 rounds of 40 S&W with the anticipation that it may take more than one hit per intruder, I don't have the same concern with the shotgun and feel perfectly comfortable with the minimum of 8 rounds available per shotgun between the mag and sidesaddle.

BTW, Winchester is once again producing the Winchester Defender. While I have no experience with the new model, I do with the previous incarnation and have always felt it was an excellent choice as is the Remington 870 though the Benellis are my favorites.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/defensive-rifles-shotgun-discussion/88261-best-cq-long-arm-weapon-imho-new-post.html

Back to topic, I guess I have a different definition of CQB than others. There is no way I want a long gun in a up close and personal fight. CQB to me means contact distance or with very little room to operate. Give me a pistol or knife for that.
    In some ways I agree, BUT, a Long Gun can be VERY effective. ( think "quarter staff" or the drills some of us had in the Military) A "butt stroke" with my "steel butted" SOCOM or even my light weighted Nova, will cause you to "pause" & if the barrel is under your chin or in your gut & I pull the trigger = ????

Puffer

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by puffer View Post
    In some ways I agree, BUT, a Long Gun can be VERY effective. ( think "quarter staff" or the drills some of us had in the Military) A "butt stroke" with my "steel butted" SOCOM or even my light weighted Nova, will cause you to "pause" & if the barrel is under your chin or in your gut & I pull the trigger = ????

Puffer
    There is no doubt you're right as rain about that.

But I still think of CQ as hand to hand down and dirty fighting. Unless you really know what you are doing and are physically fit to be able to pull it off, that long arm will kill you just as easy as it will your opponent.
    Now, in the type of fighting that you are talking about, I can argue with you, cause you're right.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Personally, when I get some bucks, I'm going to get a 12 gage with pretty darn good capacity (12), easily reloaded (12 round magazines), that's reliable and affordable.

Saiga 12 Russian AK Shotgun IZ 109
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links