Need a reccomendation for

This is a discussion on Need a reccomendation for within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; a cheap AK style SHTF rifle. I am looking for something cheap w/o sacrificing reliability. What are my options. I understand that by stating I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

a cheap AK style SHTF rifle. I am looking for something cheap w/o sacrificing reliability. What are my options. I understand that by stating I want cheap, that it might be a contradiction for reliability, but there have to be some inexpensive options. what are they?
    Many thanks

Forget the AR route...you want to protect the home front? Get an ole' dependable Marlin 336, a 30-30 (for 1/3 the price of an AR)...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The Romanian WASR10s are about as inexpensive as you can get for an AK clone. I recently sold mine to fund an AR-15 purchase because I enjoy the AR a bit more due to its accuracy and modularity. Three years ago I paid a little over 400 dollars for a WASR10, now I think for a NIB one, expect to pay at least 500 dollars give or take fifty bucks.

I can certainly vouch for the WASR10's reliability. It wasn't much of a tack driver but it had it where it counted as most AK-47s do.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

SKS

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Just get a cheap 200 dollar 20 or 12g pump gun. You will not miss the target loaded with some 3 inch buck.

Why risk taking the neighbors kid out!
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

SKS, AK, Mini-14or30, these places seem to have good prices and you can have them shipped to a local dealer. personally I think the sks gives you the best bang for your buck.

Romanian Firearms at Impact Guns Home

SKS Rifles - GunsInternational.com

AK47 WASR-10 Rifle & Saiga 12 Shotgun & Walther P22 Pistol ON SALE!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The OP never stated his use for the AK other than a Katrina type scenario so we don't even know if its going to be used for home defense.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Maybe a Century Arms WASR? I like the 7.62x39 personally, but the 5.45x39 may be a new wave worth looking into. If your definition of "cheap" is $500 or less, then this might be the way to go. I haven't really researched magazine and ammo availability for the 5.45x39. I do like what I hear about the ballistics of the cartridge though.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    a cheap AK style SHTF rifle. I am looking for something cheap w/o sacrificing reliability. What are my options. I understand that by stating I want cheap, that it might be a contradiction for reliability, but there have to be some inexpensive options. what are they?
    Many thanks
    I would consider most AK's or SKS's as cheap.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    SKS is one of the best options. If you really want an AK platform, the Saiga is one of the cheapest ones if you don't need a pistol grip. I have had no problems with reliability.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

+1 For the SKS
    Better built then the AKs and cheaper. Put a longer stock on it and you have a semi-auto hd/ deer rifle w/ 30-30 ballistics.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Many thanks
    I would check out a Kel-Tec SU-16C.

Ak type? WASR10 is about as cheap as you'll find that still is reliable.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Many thanks
    Cheap? Not possible with todays prices

How about the Kel tec Sub 2000? 9mm or .40

Kel Tec

Fleet Farm here keeps a few of the WASRs in the case. This week, they even have two under folders. They are not very expensive.

My preference would be the Levergun or the Mini 14 for rifles. But my 12 gauge is a great gun. That would "Lay the Smack Down" pretty well all by itself.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links