I told someone on here I'd let them know how my little duracoat project went. So here it is. I appologize for the subpar photos.
I bought a pretty beat up looking Remington 870 Wingmaster at a local pawnshop. Internals were still good, it just looked like crap. Blue was worn down in multiple places. Scratches all over the place.
I didn't have a pump yet for HD, so I decided it was time for a little transformation. Bought a Rem police 18.5' barrel with rifled sights. Added a Rem 2 shot extension. Stock got changed out to Speedfeed I. Forend now has rails, made by Ergo.
There are more then enough write ups about duracoat, so I'm not going to go in to that much detail. I chose basic matte black. They offered an self-lubication additive for a couple bucks, figured it couldn't hurt. I had a airbrush compressor and airbrush kit from Harbor Freight that I used. I used the degreaser that duracoat offered, figure I'm play it safe.
Blued surfaces require no sanding according to the instructions. So I just put on my gloves and degreased everything. I rigged a stand so I can hang the parts. Then I just sprayed it on. It was easy to work with. Started out with very thin layers and when I got the courage, I started laying it on thicker. I am very impressed by how well duracoat worked. Turned out pretty good. It's not perfect, there are light imperfections here and there. But I'm positive I can fix those problems the next go around. All in all, a good first experience with the stuff.
I'd recommend anyone to do it themselves, if they're on the fence about it.