Defensive Carry banner

Pawn shop shotgun to HD shotgun w/ Duracoat. Not dial up friendly.

8K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Rayman 
#1 ·
I told someone on here I'd let them know how my little duracoat project went. So here it is. I appologize for the subpar photos.

I bought a pretty beat up looking Remington 870 Wingmaster at a local pawnshop. Internals were still good, it just looked like crap. Blue was worn down in multiple places. Scratches all over the place.

I didn't have a pump yet for HD, so I decided it was time for a little transformation. Bought a Rem police 18.5' barrel with rifled sights. Added a Rem 2 shot extension. Stock got changed out to Speedfeed I. Forend now has rails, made by Ergo.

There are more then enough write ups about duracoat, so I'm not going to go in to that much detail. I chose basic matte black. They offered an self-lubication additive for a couple bucks, figured it couldn't hurt. I had a airbrush compressor and airbrush kit from Harbor Freight that I used. I used the degreaser that duracoat offered, figure I'm play it safe.

Blued surfaces require no sanding according to the instructions. So I just put on my gloves and degreased everything. I rigged a stand so I can hang the parts. Then I just sprayed it on. It was easy to work with. Started out with very thin layers and when I got the courage, I started laying it on thicker. I am very impressed by how well duracoat worked. Turned out pretty good. It's not perfect, there are light imperfections here and there. But I'm positive I can fix those problems the next go around. All in all, a good first experience with the stuff.

I'd recommend anyone to do it themselves, if they're on the fence about it.

See less See more
#10 ·
I think that's an excellent job and a good transformation! What we might do with a little bit of love in what we do and how we do it. Awesome. I'm in the middle of a custom 10/22 stock finishing project myself. No price you can account for in the DIY projects. Some of them you just have to dive in and do it and it all works out well. Other times it takes a little bit of disappointment and more hard work to turn it around. Projects created out of a good deal and the willingness to undertake them is priceless. These sort of things keep our minds working in order to make things right. I'm saying your project appears to have turned out in good condition, and you should be proud of your accomplishment. You'll be ready to do it all over again in no time, and I'm sure those who have been thinking of doing the same feel a bit more confident now in their venue.

#11 ·
If you don't mind, where'd you get your 18.5" barrel with sights? I can't find one for my 870 Express

#12 ·
Nice deal for a Wingmaster and great finishing job...You like the railed pump? Im not sure that would be my cup o tea?

#15 ·
Hey, looks like a damn fine refinishing job! :congrats:

Great deal on the gun too!

Win - Win!

#18 ·
good job on picking up the shotty at a good price, and good job on the DIY coating

I got my patrol shotgun (wingmaster) at a gun show for $300, bought my 18" bead sight parkerized barrel for $100 from cheapter than dirt

#20 ·
What a great deal, and what a difference. Now that's what I call NO SWEAT equity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.