Which Ammo Is Safe For My AR?

This is a discussion on Which Ammo Is Safe For My AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK...just when i was starting to get a handle on my understanding of which ARs could and could not fire 5.56, I am re-confused by ...

Thread: Which Ammo Is Safe For My AR?

Question Which Ammo Is Safe For My AR?

OK...just when i was starting to get a handle on my understanding of which ARs could and could not fire 5.56, I am re-confused by my own rifle. I have owned my COLT AR-15 a3 LE/govt Carbine, for several years now. I bought it NIB for an absolutely awesome deal. Had it not been for this deal I would not be an AR owner probably. I have shot it very little. Always using .223. I was fondling it a little and putting on a light coat of oil yesterday. It was part of a special run getting 16" heavy target barrels. The receiver is marked .223. The barrel says "5.56 NATO/HBAR". For you AR gurus, am I safe to shoot 5.56?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

Mine is marked .223/5.56 so I use both? But, I'm not an AR guru.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Should be safe to use 5.56mm.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    OK...just when i was starting to get a handle on my understanding of which ARs could and could not fire 5.56, I am re-confused by my own rifle. I have owned my COLT AR-15 a3 LE/govt Carbine, for several years now. I bought it NIB for an absolutely awesome deal. Had it not been for this deal I would not be an AR owner probably. I have shot it very little. Always using .223. I was fondling it a little and putting on a light coat of oil yesterday. It was part of a special run getting 16" heavy target barrels. The receiver is marked .223. The barrel says "5.56 NATO/HBAR". For you AR gurus, am I safe to shoot 5.56?
    You can shoot either round with that Colt barrel, there are other specific rifle models from some manufacturers that you can only shoot .223 (Some bushmaster models etc.) When I first got my AR i shot quite a few 5.56 just to test it out and I didn't see any real differences.

By the way, keep that AR wet!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Can't remember the particulars, but you can shoot .223 in a 5.56mm, but you can't shoot 5.56 in a .223. If your barrel is marked 5.56, then you're ok. I can't remember if it has something to do with headspace, case shoulder dimensions, chamber pressures, or what. If I'm wrong, anyone please feel free to correct me.

"...you can shoot .223 in a 5.56mm, but you can't shoot 5.56 in a .223. If your barrel is marked 5.56" - Nitrohead

Correct ^^

Same as you can fire .38 out of a .357 Mag but not .357 Mag out of a .38.
    The reasons for this are different as from that of a rifle (not just ARs) but the concept of ammunition interchangeability remain the same there.

For maximum flexibility in a rifle/carbine/pistol get one that is chambered for 5.56 and you can support conventional .223 Remington no problem, including .223 Wylde as well.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    If the barrel is marked 5.56, this means its chambered for 5.56.

Mine is marked .223/5.56 and I can shoot either. Your questions may be better answered at ARFCOM, AR15.Com This is where the guru's are.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    "...you can shoot .223 in a 5.56mm, but you can't shoot 5.56 in a .223. If your barrel is marked 5.56" - Nitrohead

Correct ^^

Same as you can fire .38 out of a .357 Mag but not .357 Mag out of a .38.
    The reasons for this are different as from that of a rifle (not just ARs) but the concept of ammunition interchangeability remain the same there.

For maximum flexibility in a rifle/carbine/pistol get one that is chambered for 5.56 and you can support conventional .223 Remington no problem, including .223 Wylde as well.

- Janq
    Spot on.

Good to know. Dont know why I had never noticed that the receiver was marked one way and the barrel another. Guess I dont shoot it enough. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    That 5.56 barrel will shoot them both just fine. Good luck finding ammo that isn't a ripoff though!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    That 5.56 barrel will shoot them both just fine. Good luck finding ammo that isn't a ripoff though!
    I have seen 500 rounds for 145.00 here... not too bad

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I have seen 500 rounds for 145.00 here... not too bad
    Where?!? Please tell. If it is someplace that is a national chain, I'll go get some now and I don't even own an AR yet!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Where?!? Please tell. If it is someplace that is a national chain, I'll go get some now and I don't even own an AR yet!
    These guys are top notch in my area, I shoot the BVAC all day long and right now that got 1,000 rounds for 319.00

SurplusAmmo.com, Affordable Ammo

Links