Can I make my Remmington 870 Super Mag Turkey Gun into a better HD Shottie

This is a discussion on Can I make my Remmington 870 Super Mag Turkey Gun into a better HD Shottie within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey All, So this was the first gun I ever bought when i turned 18 -- several years ago. Remington Model 870™ Express® Super Magnum ...

Thread: Can I make my Remmington 870 Super Mag Turkey Gun into a better HD Shottie

Can I make my Remmington 870 Super Mag Turkey Gun into a better HD Shottie

Hey All,

So this was the first gun I ever bought when i turned 18 -- several years ago.

Remington Model 870™ Express® Super Magnum Turkey Camo

Mine has tru-glu fiber optic sights and a thumbhole stock

It was a complete impulse buy, I saw it thought it looked cool. The thing is I don't turkey hunt -- never will. Since I am into just shooting/self defense training ... figure I could make this into a better HD shottie. The gun is in great condition. Any ideas?

I'm thinking...

shorter barrel (18'')
    mag extension
    can I/ should I change the sights?
    New forend so I can put a side saddle on the reciever and maybe a light on the forend
    Knoxx Spec Ops stock.

Or should I try and sell it and just start over w/ a basic 870 express (or a Mossy 500/590) and customize that... I'm thinking this because I've had a lot of difficulty finding parts online compatible w/ the Magnum reciever (forend, barrel esp.)

What do you guys think?? Thanks all!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeEric View Post
    Haha nice..... but seriously

Personally I'd keep the Turkey Gun as it was designed and get another shotgun for home defense duty.

If you ever need to use your home defense weapon the chnaces are really good that it will be taken from you as evidence. That being the case, it never hurts to have a "spare" gun that can be used in a pinch.

If money is tight, and when is it not? You can find a good Used Police Trade In at many online gundealers. That would be my recommendation.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Personally I'd keep the Turkey Gun as it was designed and get another shotgun for home defense duty.

If you ever need to use your home defense weapon the chnaces are really good that it will be taken from you as evidence. That being the case, it never hurts to have a "spare" gun that can be used in a pinch.

If money is tight, and when is it not? You can find a good Used Police Trade In at many online gundealers. That would be my recommendation.

Biker
    I hear what your saying... I just think its a waste to have a gun that I never shoot -- I was thinking that something like this is more along the lines of what I should have bought several years ago Mossberg 50660 590 12 20 CB 9SH CB PARK for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $373.00

I have other guns to protect my family w/ in case my HD shottie is taken as evidence one day. The thing is your right money is always tight which is why I would like to only have one shotgun instead of some extra $$ just sitting in the form of my turkey gun which I dont use.

I dont know does this make sense/// is that a good shottie/price/dealer?? Thanks Biker

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I wouldnt worry about changing anything except choke, just load it up with whatever shot you want, change the choke to "open" and it will work fine as a HD shotgun. I'm kinda frugal though, I use my hunting shotguns for HD too. I would rather have the money for another handgun or ammo.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

23" of barrel is just too much for HD use...Unless you live inside the Astrodome, and only amongst the field.

I'd suggest two items.

1) Replace the stock with a youth sized short LOP stock;
    2) Purchase an 18" used 870 barrel.

No sights required for HD application.
    It's point the barrel at the target and shoot.

Unlike with turkey hunting you are not attempting to make a single fine accuracy shot, in that case to the head and upper neck.
    You are aiming at Deebo's torso which is a thousand times larger in surface area to target than that of a turkeys head.
    No sighting equipment required at all for the specific application of HD which occurs at very short and close distances (21' and less).

But for the cost of a stock and replacement barrel you are with tax and shipping already into a new Mossy 500 or used 870 Express HD price range.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    If you are never going to turkey hunt, I would sell it, or trade it, and get a HD shotgun. What you are going to spend on making this into a HD shotgun, is more than the cost of a new base model Mossberg or 870.

Summit Gunbrokers has police trade-in 870's starting at $229. Bud's has them for $270. If you are just looking for a pure HD shotgun, I'd get a used police trade-in.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    If you are never going to turkey hunt, I would sell it, or trade it, and get a HD shotgun. What you are going to spend on making this into a HD shotgun, is more than the cost of a new base model Mossberg or 870.

Summit Gunbrokers has police trade-in 870's starting at $229. Bud's has them for $270. If you are just looking for a pure HD shotgun, I'd get a used police trade-in.

I would agree with this. If you really will never use your shotgun for anything but practice and HD, then you could consider converting it but you'd probably be money ahead just selling it as-is and picking up an ugly but functional LE trade-in, used Express, of whatever you want. You sure don't need 3.5" shells for HD. I've got a Wingmaster SM that I considered trying to make do double duty, but after figuring up what it would cost and considering the hassle of swapping parts around on it, I realized I might as well just look for a second gun. Plus, my WM is just too pretty to drag around in the truck, haul up the crib to dispatch coons, etc... It's nice to have a tough old "beater" that you're not worried about dinging up. Then again, I'm a little anal about my guns. Some people don't care.

The other thing is, if you have a gun purely for HD, you can tailor it to that application w/o having to compromise. For instance, I like my full length stock for sporting use, but for HD, a shorter stock is handier and would be necessary in case my GF ever needed to use it. Swapping barrels is no big deal, but I'm not gonna swap stocks around on a regular basis. I also don't want extra accessories weighing down my sporting gun, but it would be handy to have extra ammo storage and maybe a small light on a HD weapon.
    -Posi
    WTB: older model 870 Police Mag. w/ wood stocks and 20" IC RS barrel for reliable truck/camp/HD gun. Can be ugly as long as it's in good mechanical condition. Please PM or E-mail me if you have one for sale: positrack78@yahoo.com

Links