Buying my first gun

Buying my first gun

This is a discussion on Buying my first gun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey Y'all, Well I'm 24 years old, I've moved out, gotten married, and made it through undergrad, all without owning my own gun. But now ...

Thread: Buying my first gun

Buying my first gun

Hey Y'all,
    Well I'm 24 years old, I've moved out, gotten married, and made it through undergrad, all without owning my own gun.

But now I'm the man of the house, and I need to be able to defend my wife and myself. (And what little stuff we have :)

I've been looking to buy a shotgun for HD as well as for shooting skeet and plinking around with the boys on the weekend.

I'm leaning towards the Remington 870, as all my research shows it to be a superior weapon with a high level of reliability and effectiveness.

But I am a bit confused on the difference between the P, E, WM, and other various and sundry versions they have.

Is there one that is optimal? I'm afraid I don't know near as much about guns as I'd like. But I am willing to learn here.

Any opinions, advice or hints? I'm trying to pay my way through graduate school right now, so money is a bit tight for us, so the best value/$ deal would be swell.

(I'm sure you get ten or fifteen of these threads a week, and I read through some here already, but I felt I needed to ask anyway.)

870 models difference

Welcome to the forum.

Battle tested for decades, endless aftermarket support, you're g2g with the 870. I recently did transformed an old Wingmaster, you should take a look at.

Welcome from Virginia.

The 870, 1100 and the 11-87 are all fine shotguns.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernGent View Post
    Hey Y'all,
    Well I'm 24 years old, I've moved out, gotten married, and made it through undergrad, all without owning my own gun.

But now I'm the man of the house, and I need to be able to defend my wife and myself. (And what little stuff we have :)

I've been looking to buy a shotgun for HD as well as for shooting skeet and plinking around with the boys on the weekend.

I'm leaning towards the Remington 870, as all my research shows it to be a superior weapon with a high level of reliability and effectiveness.

But I am a bit confused on the difference between the P, E, WM, and other various and sundry versions they have.

Is there one that is optimal? I'm afraid I don't know near as much about guns as I'd like. But I am willing to learn here.

Any opinions, advice or hints? I'm trying to pay my way through graduate school right now, so money is a bit tight for us, so the best value/$ deal would be swell.

(I'm sure you get ten or fifteen of these threads a week, and I read through some here already, but I felt I needed to ask anyway.)
    Hi,

Do yourself a favor and look at a Mossberg 500 or 590. Thousands of US soldiers can't be wrong. It's the only shotgun that passed Mil-Spec 3443E. For around the same price as the Remmy you can get Mil-Spec.

By the way, you can't go wrong with an 870, I am just bringing up another option as you mentioned you are new to all of this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Greetings from UT, and Welcome to the Forum!

You can't go wrong with an 870. There are a lot of different variations of the 870, but any of them will work. Find one that falls in your budget and get it, you won't be disappointed.

-Plop
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

Welcome from Las Vegas, Nevada!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Administrator
    The express models are the best 'deals'. However, they are not the best 870's. I'm not saying they are no good, but the P and WM are a little more refined as pointed out in the link Rayman provided. There are a few little things you can do to make an express a little better, but that is a subject for another thread.
    I guess what I'm saying is, the express is a fine choice. The P and WM are better, but cost double. For the purposes you listed, any of the models will do just fine. Only you can tell us if the added expense of the P or WM is worth it to you. ( it is to me)
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The express models are the best 'deals'. However, they are not the best 870's. I'm not saying they are no good, but the P and WM are a little more refined as pointed out in the link Rayman provided. There are a few little things you can do to make an express a little better, but that is a subject for another thread.
    I guess what I'm saying is, the express is a fine choice. The P and WM are better, but cost double. For the purposes you listed, any of the models will do just fine. Only you can tell us if the added expense of the P or WM is worth it to you. ( it is to me)
    Well I have a friend who runs a pawn shop, so he said he'd keep an eye out for me. Hopefully I can get the P. Is there a difference in durability/functionality between the Oak or synthetic stocks?

Thanks y'all for the warm welcome and all the helpful info.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    The 870 is a great HD shotgun. If your friend owns a pawn shop, stay patient until he finds a nice one for you at a great price and enjoy! Just make sure to take it down and clean it really well, then test it thoroughly. Then clean it again. :)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernGent View Post
    Well I have a friend who runs a pawn shop, so he said he'd keep an eye out for me. Hopefully I can get the P. Is there a difference in durability/functionality between the Oak or synthetic stocks?

Thanks y'all for the warm welcome and all the helpful info.
    No, there really isnt much of a difference. It basically boils down to asthetics and personal preference. I think the walnut stocks balance a bit better, plus I prefer the classic blue/walnut looks. The express guns had a laminate stock, that is made to look like nice walnut. I dont mind them so much; I actually like them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    The 870 12 ga platform is also my favorite. My bbls: 28"vr with a selection of choke tubes, 20" rifled slug with a red dot on the cantilever, and 18" cyl "home defense" (or grouse attack barrel.) I added the sling swivel magazine cap, otherwise I prefer it stock.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

For my HD shotgun, I have the 870 with the 18 1/2 inch barrel.

It is a sweet shooter, and I will have it forever.
    I also added the Knox stock on it.... Which I love.

From grad student to grad student, I assume you already legally posses a handgun + concealed weapons license for self defense + basic self defense training, before jumping into a shotgun/long-gun, right? If not, consider getting them before the long-gun. Make good use of your $$$ for right now. Master what you can carry all day long in most instances, then jump into the shotgun. I was once in your shoes and started out with a shotgun, to quickly get rid of it and get the $$$ for a handgun for daily carry.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Sponsored Links