Chinese SKS - sanity check, please

This is a discussion on Chinese SKS - sanity check, please within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all My local gun store has a Chinese SKS, "very good" bore, "fair" wood stock, for $289. I'm not concerned about the stock - ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese SKS - sanity check, please

Chinese SKS - sanity check, please

Hey all

My local gun store has a Chinese SKS, "very good" bore, "fair" wood stock, for $289. I'm not concerned about the stock - can always be replaced. All matching serial numbers.

Good deal? Good gun?

For the money, I'm actually more leaning towards a Kel-tec Sub 2000 in 9mm, compatible with my Glock mags - if I can find one. I don't have many places near me to shoot more powerful carbines or rifles at longer ranges...and I already have a Mini 14, and a Rem 870 pump shotgun.

Appreciate the feedback!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Without knowning your intended purpose for a new long-gun, and based on the range comment, I'd have to suggest getting the SUB2000. The SKS would fill a very similar role as the Mini 14, and less effectively (fine gun, but not a Mini 14), and the SUB2000 would add a capability (common mags and ammo).

Unless you have another use for the SKS or want to collect them, I'd go a different way.

Neither are particularly accurate guns. An SKS to me , is more fun to shoot. Don't expect more than a 3-4" group at 100 yards.

Sorry - the purpose would be primarily for defensive purposes. The only "fun" guns I own are .22LR.

While that SKS might be a good buy, I am leaning more towards the Sub 2000. With virtually no recoil, and using my Glock's mags and ammo, it would fill a currently empty niche. It would make a great carbine for my wife, who is rather petite. And, it would be allowed at my local gun store/50-foot pistol range.

I do not anticipate any defensive encounters at 100 yards...more like less than 100 feet. Unless you live out in the country, and the bad guys are really obvious about their intentions, I don't see how you could legally justify a defensive shot at distance. As the distance increases, your ability to judge intent decreases (again, unless really obvious), the bad guy's ability to harm you decreases, and your options other than lethal force increase (run away, take cover, call 911, etc). I just don't foresee needing a "sniper" rifle. I'm thinking "minute of Mongo" (MOM?!) combat accuracy, not "MOA" sniper/target-shooting accuracy.

On the other hand, a handy little carbine could prove rather useful at realistic urban/sub-urban distances.

Would still appreciate opinions, however, on the reliability and accuracy of those Chinese SKS'. I know not to expect them to be tack drivers, but my understanding is that the SKS does tend to be more accurate than an AK. Just curious. Thanks!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    I hate to bring up ballistics, but if I'm a BG, I'd much rather you shoot me with the Sub 2000 than that SKS!

I think it's good to have different sized hammers in your tool box.

VIP Member
    Oops. I missed that you said you already had a mini-14.

Mea Culpa

I have a chinese sks that I bought a couple of years ago for $189.With todays prices 289 is a fair price if its in good shape.I love shooting mine and have tried to make it jam,it just won't jam.I put a peep sight on mine and can get about a 2-3 inch group at 50 yrds.I bought it for a SHTF gun and for that purpose its fine.I have no complaints on it at all.The prices are really going up on all guns these days,if you can afford it,I would get it.You can always get your money out of it.sj

I'll echo what sjones said about a Chinese SKS rifles. I bought my SKS around 5+ years ago. I bought mine for a SHTF scenario as well. It wasn't expensive and it's fun to shoot as well. I still have the original sights on it and enjoy shooting it very much.

The price of $289.00 is a good price for that gun at this time. When I bought mine I paid around the $150.00 back then from a local gun store. I would recommend that you consider buying this SKS.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I have three of the Chinese SKS's. They are very reliable as has already been stated.
    The ammo is still cheaper then 223. My son took his first deer with a short barrelled carbine at a little over 100 yards. One shot.
    They are not a sniper rifle by any means, but for an all around carbine they are hard to beat.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I'll have to add also,I took a deer at about 125 yards with one shot from my norinco.I used a soft point and he went down and never twitched.I aimed right at the shoulder and it broke both shoulders. sj

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    I'll have to add also,I took a deer at about 125 yards with one shot from my norinco.I used a soft point and he went down and never twitched.I aimed right at the shoulder and it broke both shoulders. sj
    My son was using soft points as well. These guns will give a 30-30 a run for its money.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

VIP Member
    The sub doesn't really have much advantage over the handgun, esp in close qtrs. However the SKS might compliment the Ruger. Two defenders at 50 yds are better than one. I'll bet the SKS will outrun the mini. The offset sights aren't as bad as the AK. I actually like the SKS design better than the AK. The trigger has a long stroke, but I was able to smooth it out.

The KT would fit in nicely to a niche, but I think it'd be more fun outdoors. The SKS is even more fun outdoors. I put a red dot on my SKS, and from 50-100yds it's great.

I see where this is leading. You want me to tell you to get both, right?
    OK
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

SKS

Love the SKS (hate the AK-47s). Used both in Vietnam 1972-75 and while they are both reliable, the SKS is more accurate. My SKS is my best home SD weapon along with my 1911A1 - it is scary with the bayonet extended! Never used the mini-14 or those others, so no comments.
    D/U

I have 2 Yugo SKS rifles, both are all matching numbers, one is excellent condition, the other is very good condition. I bought them both for $100 each. Now they are going for $250-300 range. I think you should get the SKS, it might be worth more in the future.

I'll vote for the SKS as well. Your pistol will do anything the Kel-tec will do. A person with a handgun at 100 yds can definitely kill you just as dead as at 10 ft. Know more than a few people that can hit steel offhand at that distance. The SKS will turn cover into just concealment at ranges where the 9mm won't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links