Accessories for the AR platform

This is a discussion on Accessories for the AR platform within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I now own an AR and I am looking at getting some things for it. I want: 1. A good sling. I prefer a 2 ...

Thread: Accessories for the AR platform

Accessories for the AR platform

I now own an AR and I am looking at getting some things for it.

I want:

1. A good sling. I prefer a 2 point sling.

2. Replace the standard fore end with a 4 rail fore end that I can mount accessories on.

3. A red dot sight. (looking to stay in the $150 range or less)

4. A vertical grip to mount on the 4 rail fore end.

5. A light to also mount on the fore end.

Anyone that has any suggestions for any of these accessories please share them.

Thanks!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    1. I know I suggested it in your other thread, but I really like the 3 point Blackhawk! slings. For two point slings, I hate them, but I do really like the standard military style sling with the J hook. It's quickly lengthened and shortened, and can be adapted for hasty and loop slings. Seems decently durable also. I've had other two point nylon slings and they were harder to adjust and weren't as versatile.

2. I've got a Rock River Arms free float. I would go free float if you've got the tools and know how, or an honest gunsmith nearby. The hand guard itself is cheaper, and will help out slightly with accuracy since the sling pull or rest on the hand guard won't affect the barrel.

3. I've got an ACOG (army style with the hand adjusters) on mine, and it was pretty dang expensive. Really can't give any first hand input on cheaper models. I have heard a lot of good things about aimpoint though.

4. There's a lot of 'em out there. I think the most important thing is that it doesn't have any play when mounted. Secondly, get one that feels good in the hand. Brand really isn't that important.

5. Lights you can never go wrong with a surefire. I've been using SF's for years, but I do have an Insight Procyon on my pistol and am quite happy with it...it was a lot cheaper than Surefire, but the performance is on par, so if you can find something from Insight, it's definitely worth checking out.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

For 2 points, the VTAC is supposed to be pretty good, but if I was going to stick with a 2 point, I'd just go back to a parade sling. Like I said in your other thread, for going slick I prefer a good 3 point, like Spectre or Blackhawk.

I have a Midwest Industries non-free float. Its been a solid performer. If I was making a target rifle, I'd go with a free float, but for a combat rifle, I have no problem with a more traditional handguard set-up.

Aimpoint's and EOtech's aren't going to be under your $150 cap, but I do like Aimpoints. Something like the Burris Fastfire is closer to you price range, and a decent red dot sight.

Any VFG that mounts solidly onto your rail and feels good. I do kinda like grip-pods (the one with a bipod in the VFG), but they are a lot pricier than the standard VFG's.

Like he said, it's hard to beat surefires. You don't necessarily need a weapon specific one, you can just get a handheld model with a LED bulb and some shock resistance, and put it on a ring mount. That way you could move it between weapons, or just put it in your pocket.

Have fun accessorizing.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    1. I know I suggested it in your other thread, but I really like the 3 point Blackhawk! slings. For two point slings, I hate them, but I do really like the standard military style sling with the J hook. It's quickly lengthened and shortened, and can be adapted for hasty and loop slings. Seems decently durable also. I've had other two point nylon slings and they were harder to adjust and weren't as versatile.
    I looked at the Blackhawk 3 point sling but I don't think that I like the way the sling attaches to the front of the rifle. It looks like it has to wrap around the fore end. What's the point of having a 4 rail fore end if part of it is covered with the sling? I'd prefer to use the front sling point that is on the gun. Does the Blackhawk have to attach the way the photo shows?

By the way, after looking at tons of pics of AR's with 1 point slings attached to them, I noticed that they seem to have a swivel attachment at the rear of the lower, right where the telescoping stock emerges. Mine does not have this part but I assume it is an option I can add. Does anyone know where I can buy ones of these?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

You're right, it does wrap around the foregrip. I forgot about that...I had mine modified, which wasn't too hard. I have another one that works right away, but I can't remember who makes it. I'll have to dig through all my tacticrap and find it.

I think this is what you're looking for with the swivel at the rear of the lower:
    KNS PRECISION, INC. : .250" P-B Swivel Stud Pivot Pin (923-000-045) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

It's a sling swivel stud takedown pin. Just add your swivel of choice to that, and you're set.
    -Ryan

Here it is. It's made by Sling Systems. on the front it goes around your swivel, but can also go around the barrel under the gas tube if you want. On the rear, it has 3 different end pieces, one for solid stocks, one for tele stocks, and another for tele stocks. A little pricier, but maybe more what you're looking for. Also uses wider webbing than Blackhawk! so might be a little more comfortable.
    -Ryan

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Bravo Company USA, Inc. AR-15, M16, M4 Tactical Gear, Parts, Accessories.

The one stop shop for all your AR-15 tacticool accessories!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Links