Slug barrel

This is a discussion on Slug barrel within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking for an aleast 22 in, rifled slug barrel for my 500a persuader. I want to try hunting with it this season locally (I'm ...

Thread: Slug barrel

Slug barrel

I'm looking for an aleast 22 in, rifled slug barrel for my 500a persuader. I want to try hunting with it this season locally (I'm having trouble being able to make it up to the rifle areas here in MI this year). Any recommendations? I have found this on their website

www.mossberg.com

Anyone use this?

2. Remove Ads

I have the Mossberg 500 slugster..... comes with a 24" ported & rifled barrel. I know you can buy just the rifled barrel for the gun as well. I have not had the gun long, and have not sited in the scope, but it seems to be fairly accurate at 100yds. I would think anything under 100 yds should be gravy for a shot.
    However, I'm not sure you'll have much left to eat if you hit something with a 3/4oz or 1oz slug. If your trophy hunting, you should be fine. I think you can only get the rifled barrel in a 24", least its the only length I have seen for the Mossberg.
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

I have a Hastings 24" rifled bbl w/ cantilever scope mount for my 12g Mossberg 500 and am very satisfied with it. 1 1/4" (one hole) groups @ 100yds w/ Winchester's 2 3/4" BRI sabots. I believe the bbl is more accurate than I am able to shoot.

I've taken one doe with it, one shot @ approx 80-85yds. She made one jump and dropped. Can't complain about results like that.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Are you hunting dense forest or open field? If it's more open where you have a longer shot, I would suggest going black powder. With a quality gun and optics, you can shoot 200-225yd accurately and ethically. That is about double what you would get out of a slug gun. Granted, they are great up to about 100yards, but after that gravity takes over. It all boils down to what kind of terrain you hunt. Best of luck this year ;)
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

VIP Member
    I have that bbl in my closet (not very) used and in very good condition (my 500 is now a pure home defense rig). 24 inch rifled, ported and with scope rail $100 + shipping and it's yours.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have that bbl in my closet (not very) used and in very good condition (my 500 is now a pure home defense rig). 24 inch rifled, ported and with scope rail $100 + shipping and it's yours.
    PM me a few pics and we may have a deal here.

EDIT: Let me first ask, is your 500 the "Persuader?"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thijones View Post
    PM me a few pics and we may have a deal here.

EDIT: Let me first ask, is your 500 the "Persuader?"
    No but I called Mossberg and they should fit. just to be sure though measure your mag tube from where it enters the reciever to the end and tell me what you get. If we get the same # it will fit. Then I'll send pics.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Links