Shotgun for Home Defense

This is a discussion on Shotgun for Home Defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I do not hunt so I am looking for a 12 gauge strictly for home defense purposes. I see that Academy Sports has a Mossberg ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun for Home Defense

Shotgun for Home Defense

I do not hunt so I am looking for a 12 gauge strictly for home defense purposes. I see that Academy Sports has a Mossberg Persuader for $289. It comes with both standard stock and pistol grip and a shorter 18.5 inch barrel and is chambered for 3" shells with a 6 shell capacity.

Anyone here have one of these and if so, what is your opinion? Also, is it safe to fire slugs out of it?

Side question, do indoor ranges usually let you shoot shotguns? I haven't asked mine yet but will on my next visit. I've seen people shooting rifles. They don't have any restrictions on ammo or any signs posted about what you can and can't use. Just looking for general experiences, obviously each range is its own.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

2. Remove Ads

The Mossberg 12ga, for that amount, and with all that's included, sounds like a very nice deal. You should be able to fire slugs with no problem out of the smooth bore, but ask or check the manufacturer to make sure. Steel shot may be something to limit though. I might do it myself if I was wanting another 12ga. Academy Sports is going to build a store closer to where we live over the next year, and I'm glad! So far as I know, none of the indoor ranges around here will allow you to fire shotgun....they just weren't designed for it mainly, and the risk is great apparently.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    I do not hunt so I am looking for a 12 gauge strictly for home defense purposes. I see that Academy Sports has a Mossberg Persuader for $289. It comes with both standard stock and pistol grip and a shorter 18.5 inch barrel and is chambered for 3" shells with a 6 shell capacity.

Anyone here have one of these and if so, what is your opinion? Also, is it safe to fire slugs out of it?

Side question, do indoor ranges usually let you shoot shotguns? I haven't asked mine yet but will on my next visit. I've seen people shooting rifles. They don't have any restrictions on ammo or any signs posted about what you can and can't use. Just looking for general experiences, obviously each range is its own.
    I think the Mossberg 500 12 ga at 18.5 inches is a great gun for tactical and home defense. There are also some other tactical models that are as good or better. I actually prefer the Remington Tactical 870 series, 18" Rem870 Tact -12/18. Of course I sell both.

See my website listing in Buy-Sell. GundAndSupply.com Home
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I'll look into the Remington 870's. Looks like Academy has several variations at the same price +/- $10.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    Ruger 10/22

If you are looking for the best shotgun for home defense I would say a converted Saiga 12 with 19" barrel.

Stock with 5 round mag:

This is the pic I could find that looks the most like mine. Because they are basically AKs the amount of different parts you can put on them is insane.

Here's my Mossy 500 - Works great. Incredible home defense weapon. I think it would stop anyone, no matter how big or high on drugs.

The light has a pressure switch, and the shot pattern (00 Buck) hits right where the light shines, so the light acts as an aiming device as well as illumination.....................

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Rem 870

This is my Rem 870, I have a knoxx adjustable recoil stock.

And a (hellfighter x12, I know) with pressure pad on it.

The light is not attached at the moment though just giving you an idea.

I shoot #00 buck and quit using slugs due to over penetration and protecting my nieghbors.

Its such a solid gun, I love it and ill have this one for ever!
    Attached Images
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

I know you mentioned you didnt hunt and you also mentioned slugs. correct me if I am wrong, but dont you NOT want to shoot slugs in a home defensive situation as they go through alot of stuff you might not want them to go through ( ie. walls ) I was always told not to use slug in home defense situations but if I am wrong I will be the first to admit.

Finally somebody warned about using slugs in a HD shotgun, not a smart thing to do!!! As for the range, you need to ask the range officer, the one new range by us allows shotguns but the older one didn't. The shotgun you spoke of would make a great HD weapon. I have a somewhat rare Mossberg Mariner, this isn't like the new ones that have a coating on all metallic parts, this is a older model where every metallic part is SS, every screw, spring etc.... I installed a pistol grip and with the 18.5" barrel it makes a great HD weapon. There are a lot of accessories to customize the shotgun for your needs.
    Enjoy

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member
    Love my Mossy
    Attached Images

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    You're buying the best HD weapon of all time with a 12 gauge shotgun! Nothing wrong at all with the Mossberg but the best pump model of all time is the 870 IMHO. That's why most PD's carry them. I have the riot model with a Knoxx stock and load it 8 rds. of OO. I want penetration if I have to shoot through a wall/door or a BG who's wearing heavy clothing. It is set up very similar to Kenny256's except I have a Surefire mounted to the mag tube

I would personally not own any semi for a HD.

Here is a link to a 870 for a great price. It's a basic model that will get the job done, has an endless supply of parts and add on's that you can customize to your own taste and won't let you down.

I live in the sticks (thank God) so I can't tell you if your local indoor range allows shotguns. Some do and some don't. I do know from doing many live fire house clearings you should be wearing double hearing protection. On that subject let the perp come to you. Do Not try to clear your own home alone. It's extremely dangerous with a trained team and you are at a serious disadvantage attempting it on your own.

Regards

Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; October 31st, 2009 at 07:45 PM.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Thanks for all the feedback. I should have clarified, I don't intend on keeping it loaded with slugs for home defense, I've just never fired any before and wanted to at the range. I would use buck shot for in the home.

I also checked with the shooting range. They allow buck shot and slugs to be fired there. No bird shot. - Funny aside, the guy thought I was prank calling him since my question was, "Are shotguns allowed there?" and he thought I was asking if they were "loud"
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    Ruger 10/22

I have a Remington 870 20g with #4 buck.

I was going to fit a pistol grip....but they only make one for the 12g, then began thinking - what does the pistol grip bring to the party???

recoil with a 3" shell would be an absolute *****, might even be difficult to maintain a hold on the weapon. In the absence of a light or laser aiming would be damn dangerous

I'm going to give the Remington 870's a good look. It seems like its split down the middle.

I do have a 16 gauge Winchester that I inherited from my Grandfather that I love. I did a lot of shooting with it growing up. It's just gotten to be nearly impossible to find shells for it. Academy carries some but they cost 4x as much as 12 gauge shells. Haven't seen any at Wal-Mart in years.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    Ruger 10/22

I don't like a pistol grip myself. Plain old stock or better yet one of those that has shot storage is good. No sling for me either. Hangs up on the hooks I place it on and I don't carry the home defense shotty around long distances.

I slightly prefer the 870 to the Mossy but they both do the job. My main reason for the 870 is I like the push button on the trigger guard safety because its were I am used to it being and I like the fact that all 870 barrels fit all models because the tube ring is always located in the same spot whereas the Mossy you have to get the right barrel for whatever the model you bought's original tube length was. Not a big deal but something to think about. Its easier to convert an 870 with any barrel you run across is all. Not issue if you intend to get it right the first time and leave it alone. Many like the top safety of the mossy but it does not lend itself well when the pistol grip is put on. I don't mind a pistol grip/shoulder combo type stock though.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links