Didnt Know What Else to Do

This is a discussion on Didnt Know What Else to Do within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last week on my way to my hunting club I stopped at a gas station to get some ice and drinks for the day. After ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Didnt Know What Else to Do

  1. #1
    Member Array 2ndAmend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    164

    Question Didnt Know What Else to Do

    Last week on my way to my hunting club I stopped at a gas station to get some ice and drinks for the day.

    After purchasing my goods I returned to my truck and opened the driver side door (both doors were locked). After putting the stuff on the driver side seat I went to the back of my truck to put the ice in the cooler.

    A few seconds after I opened the cooler a man approached on the passenger side of the truck and started asking me for money. I nicely told the man (he looked as though he was high on something and a little waked out) no I didn’t have any cash on me. He again asked if I had any money and began trying to open the passenger door. I again told him I had no cash and told him to go away. The scariest part was I had my shotgun on the passenger seat loaded as I always do on the way to hunt. He began to get agitated and trying harder to open the door. I told him again in a loud tone to go away and stop pulling on the door. When he did not comply I garbed the shotgun and pointed it at him through the window.

    Needless to say he looked at me and then the shotgun and very quickly walked away.

    It seemed like the best thing to do at the time but now thinking about it I believe I could have handled it differently. Can I get some feed back on what if anything I could have done different?
    Last edited by 2ndAmend; November 5th, 2009 at 11:11 AM.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array bryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henderson, Colorado
    Posts
    72
    i think you did the right thing. you gave him 2 chances to go away...........third time is a charm!! your vehicle is your property..you felt that you and your property were being threatened. i think you handled it in a manner that even a police officer would have agreed. now grabbing the gun right off and chasing him or something is a different story. it seems you kept your cool, and i think keeping your cool, is the way to always coming out on top of the situation.
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    John Wayne

  4. #3
    Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere near Nashville
    Posts
    1,271
    Seems largely appropriate and defensible to me based on your post. My only question would be:
    Did you leave the loaded shotgun in plain sight in the cab while in the store? That scares me a little, but has nothing to do with your response to the man.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

  5. #4
    Member Array 2ndAmend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Seems largely appropriate and defensible to me based on your post. My only question would be:
    Did you leave the loaded shotgun in plain sight in the cab while in the store? That scares me a little, but has nothing to do with your response to the man.
    I normally keep it behind my seat until I arrive at the club. On that day I hurriedly set it on the passenger seat. When I arrived at the store I realized what I had done. Instead of pulling it out and sticking it behind the seat (didnt want anyone to see it) I covered it with a large green sweat shirt. To any passer bys it would have just looked like a shirt sitting on the seat. I know I should not have had it in the front but everyone makes mistakes, I have learned and take better precaution now.

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere near Nashville
    Posts
    1,271
    Not beating you up 2nd, I was just curious about that point, and wondered if you had given it thought. Apparently, you have!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array gdm320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Not beating you up 2nd, I was just curious about that point, and wondered if you had given it thought. Apparently, you have!
    I had a similar question. I keep my hunting/sport shooting weapons secured in my hard-sided locking storage cases in the back of my 4Runner under the cargo cover so if I stop for food, gas, or whatever I won't have them unsecured.

    It sounds like you handled the situation very well though. Ultimately, he was trying to get into your vehicle and at you and apparently was very agitated. You gave him a chance and he didn't take it.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array nedrgr21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    3,553
    Just slowly drive away?

    Don't know about SC, but in MO it's illegal to have a loaded long gun in the passenger compartment - even with a CC permit, which only applies to concealable weapons. A game warden could also get you for road hunting, whether they saw you actually do something or not.

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array 10thmtn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,957
    Yo no hablo 'english'

    Drive away...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

  10. #9
    Ex Member Array F350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High in Colorado
    Posts
    1,706
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Just slowly drive away?

    Don't know about SC, but in MO it's illegal to have a loaded long gun in the passenger compartment - even with a CC permit, which only applies to concealable weapons. A game warden could also get you for road hunting, whether they saw you actually do something or not.
    Wrong there; I have a letter from the Attorney General's office saved on my home computer stating that because the CCW language says just plain old "firearm" loaded long guns ARE covered. The non-CCW car carry language specifically says "concealable firearm" so without a CCW illegal.

    The state game laws are where you could run into trouble, not sure and would have to look it up.

  11. #10
    Member Array 2ndAmend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Just slowly drive away?
    I wasn’t in my truck at the time. I was standing next to the bed trying to put ice in my cooler. This all happened in just about a minute, didn’t have much time to react.

    I hunt in the sticks and with a couple of local LEOs, its not very uncommon for the hunters to travel with their rifles/shotguns loaded in the truck. Not to worried about the game warden either spoken to him on many occasions and he has seen the shotgun in the truck loaded no problem there.

    Here in SC 12" barrels or longer are not considered cancelable.

  12. #11
    Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,764
    I don't know all the laws involved but the practice of carrying a loaded gun on the way to hunt or target shoot is a gross safety violation.

    Either we're carrying concealed a ccw weapon which means it's on or it's a hunting gun and shouldn't be loaded until we're in the field. Even if you're legally carrying concealed you'd never want to leave your loaded gun in the car while your out of it.

    As far as presenting to the guy to scare him off, you told him what to do and he advanced and you presented a loaded weapon. I suppose you may have wanted to call the police to report the incident.

    Again, I think you need to really think about the carrying the gun "loaded as you always do" on the way to the hunt. Thats a very very risky behaviour.

    I am glade it worked out as it did for you.

  13. #12
    Member Array steelhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I don't know all the laws involved but the practice of carrying a loaded gun on the way to hunt or target shoot is a gross safety violation.

    Either we're carrying concealed a ccw weapon which means it's on or it's a hunting gun and shouldn't be loaded until we're in the field. Even if you're legally carrying concealed you'd never want to leave your loaded gun in the car while your out of it.

    As far as presenting to the guy to scare him off, you told him what to do and he advanced and you presented a loaded weapon. I suppose you may have wanted to call the police to report the incident.

    Again, I think you need to really think about the carrying the gun "loaded as you always do" on the way to the hunt. Thats a very very risky behaviour.

    I am glade it worked out as it did for you.
    I can't speak for the other guy, but when I am hunting, and driving from place to place, I have the rifle loaded, but none in the chamber.

    My procedure is to empty the chamber, close the bolt while releasing the firing pin. Then I load the bullets into the magazine well. It can't go off, but can be ready in an instant. When I reach my hunting area, I throw the bolt and put the safety on. When I am ready to get back into the truck, I open the action, push the round down into the magazine, then close the action making sure a round doesn't get chambered.

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,701
    yes.,..... I would never have a loaded shotgun in the passenger seat of the truck.

  15. #14
    Member Array ItsMyRight2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SouthFlorida
    Posts
    315
    Looking at it from both sides(yours&law).

    I would have to say bad call. And I say that because ....... you had a loaded shotgun sitting on your passenger seat, which is probably illegal in your state. And I also believe you had many other options before you pointed a loaded firearm at the man. You should only draw on someone if its your LAST choice. And you said you self you pointed it at him through the window....meaning you were in the vehicle. so you did have other choices.

    If anyone had seen that you could have been arrested for reckless display at the least.

  16. #15
    Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere near Nashville
    Posts
    1,271
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post
    Looking at it from both sides(yours&law).

    I would have to say bad call. And I say that because ....... you had a loaded shotgun sitting on your passenger seat, which is probably illegal in your state. And I also believe you had many other options before you pointed a loaded firearm at the man. You should only draw on someone if its your LAST choice. And you said you self you pointed it at him through the window....meaning you were in the vehicle. so you did have other choices.

    If anyone had seen that you could have been arrested for reckless display at the least.
    I believe he moved from standing next to the bed of the truck to standing next to the cab/door, and reached in, while standing for the shot gun. It appears to me he feared that the subject might gain control of the gun, or vehicle, and further he could argue he was already in fear of his safety at the time.
    Sounds reasonable to me, minus having left the gun un attended.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. The one time I didnt have my gun on me...
    By rangerman2003 in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: September 20th, 2010, 11:37 AM
  2. Wow didnt see this one coming...NOT!!!
    By jwhite75 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 2nd, 2009, 01:42 AM
  3. Glock didnt fire. TWICE!
    By highoctane in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: April 28th, 2009, 10:54 PM
  4. I didnt think this was possible!!!
    By palmgopher in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: September 17th, 2006, 01:39 AM

Search tags for this page

i felt i had to take action but i didnt know what to do after i call the police

Click on a term to search for related topics.