Mossberg M590A1

This is a discussion on Mossberg M590A1 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just took the plunge on a Mossberg M590A1 model number 51663. I ordered it tonight and should have it mid-week. I have been in ...

Thread: Mossberg M590A1

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

Mossberg M590A1

I just took the plunge on a Mossberg M590A1 model number 51663. I ordered it tonight and should have it mid-week. I have been in the market for a solid performing HD shotty and I think this will fit the bill nicely. It has a heavy walled barrel, 8+1 capacity and ghost ring sights. I believe it is the same one the US Navy uses. I got a box or two of Poly Shok shells that I am looking forward to testing. Range report to follow. I paid $399 + tax and my FFL waived the fee because I do a lot of business with him.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats. I've been eyeing the same one.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Here's mine! I love it!

The only thing I added was a Tritium bead at the end of the barrel, the Side Saddle on the receiver as well as the removable butt stock shell carrier. I carry 20 rounds of slugs and buckshot in and on the gun. I also have a 56 round bandoleer lying next to it if I need more ammo.

Probably my only other addition will be a mounted Sure Fire Tac Light later on down the road.

(BTW... You should resize your posted photo. It messes with the page display and the moderators may get on you about that!)

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Here's mine! I love it!

The only thing I added was a Tritium bead at the end of the barrel, the Side Saddle on the receiver as well as the removable butt stock shell carrier. I carry 20 rounds of slugs and buckshot in and on the gun. I also have a 56 round bandoleer lying next to it if I need more ammo.

Probably my only other addition will be a mounted Sure Fire Tac Light later on down the road.

(BTW... You should resize your posted photo. It messes with the page display and the moderators may get on you about that!)

Does the tritium bead really help with sight acquisition? What kind? How much?

I like the ghost ring sights they have on them these days. Ghost rings weren't even invented when I bought my 590. Just a brass bead sight.

The tritium bead lets you see the end of the barrel in low light situations. I feel it helps a lot just knowing where the end of the barrel is.

Mine is starting to fade somewhat as I've had it on the gun about 12-15 years now. I can't remember the brand, but it was around $35-$40 IIRC. I do need to start looking for a replacement.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Congrats! I just got my 590A1 a few weeks ago. I put the Knoxx Spec-Ops stock on it. Took it out yesterday for the first time. Wow, a lot of fun to shoot.

Thumbs up

What a great gun! I love mine, which is exactly like yours sans the ghost rings. A blast to shoot. I took my son out, and he really liked the 3" High Brass 00 Buck. Nearly tore the young'uns shoulder off.

VIP Member
    You can't go wrong with a 590! I put a knoxx on mine!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Yes, I love mine as well. It is all the shotgun I need. Perfect HD gun and sufficient in the field for those shotgun-specific outings. I don't plan on making any changes like heat shield or Knoxx because I like to keep my guns as basic as possible. It feels very well built and the action is like butter after getting a few drops of oil.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    That shotgun has been on my wish list for about two years now. Excellent choice.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Links