.357 Carbine suggestion?

This is a discussion on .357 Carbine suggestion? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Least expensive but still trust worthy .357 Carbine suggestions please?? Links to your suggestion appreciated....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .357 Carbine suggestion?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

.357 Carbine suggestion?

Least expensive but still trust worthy .357 Carbine suggestions please??

Links to your suggestion appreciated.
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Marlin would get my money.

IMI made (they might still make it, I dont know) a neat little pump that is set up just like an 870. They range from 500 to 1200 depending on condition and market wind shifts.

http://www.remtek.com/arms/imi/timber/index.htm
    "Just blame Sixto"

Marlin Model 1894C

Without a doubt one of the best handling and best shooting firearms in my collection. They can be a bit tricky to find sometimes. But they are a pleasure to shoot with .38's, and the .357's aren't too bad either. As accurate as I am off handed out to at least 100 yards (furthest I've tried). No magazine to lose, reliable. If you have any specific questions about it I'll try to answer them for ya.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    +1000 on the Marlin.

I have one in .357 and one in .44. Light, tough, and great tight actions.

Do a side by side with a Winchester (no flames, I like Winchester too) and you'll pick the Marlin every time.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    Stay with the Marlin. I have a Marlin and a Winchester... I'll pick the Marlin over the Winchester everyday... The Winchester is not reliable with .38's, only .357's...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I agree... Marlin Cowboy 1894C. I pick it over my 30-30 Winchester.

Mine is the 24" barrel, not the 20 " barrel, and at 100 yrds no change in the sight, and at 200 yds, 1 click, with .357's. Nail it consistently at both distances with the iron sights. You can mount a scope if you want one, I haven't found a need for one.

I can carry my 7-shot .357 revolver , and no problem with carrying different ammo.

All of the above plus I would look at the Henry and the Rossi. 357 mag from a carbine is much more powerful than 357 handgun.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    If you want something a bit cheaper (just a tad) and a bit more available, and a bit shorter, consider the Rossi/Puma 16". The problem is they're top ejectors and there's no place to mount a peep sight or scope on top of one of those. You have to hand sights off a side plate or mount the sight to the side plate. The marlin has a solid top receiver that's tapped so you can add a peep sight or a scope. I don't have one but I think a fixed 4 power rimfire scope would look and perform perfectly on one It's the right size and enough power and it wouldn't look too bad on one.

So, other than these I've never seen a good .357 carbine that's current production.

I think there was a thread by somebody building a .357 sig AR-15.
    No doubt a custom job like that would set you back some cash, though.

Edit: A quick Google turned up this:
    http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/357...er-t67532.html
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I have a 38-357 Rossi carbine that I bought over 30 years ago. Wonderful little rifle!!!!! To this day it is my rifle of choice when der hunting in heavy cover. None have gone very far with a 158gr gas checked Keith style bullet in their boiler room.

Short,light,accurate, and powerful enough to get the job done when the limitations are taken into consideration.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    I have a 38-357 Rossi carbine that I bought over 30 years ago. Wonderful little rifle!!!!! To this day it is my rifle of choice when der hunting in heavy cover. None have gone very far with a 158gr gas checked Keith style bullet in their boiler room.

Short,light,accurate, and powerful enough to get the job done when the limitations are taken into consideration.
    What's the going price for a Rossi like yours now?
    For God, Family and Country!

Maybe a silly question...anyone make a lever or pump carbine in 9mm?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Go for the Rossi M92 Puma and be done with it. The Winchester 1892 action was designed around pistol length cartridges whereas the 1894 was designed around the longer (30-30) rifle cartridges. The only real issues that occasionally seem to crop up is when feeding the shorter pistol cartridges through a 1894 action.

I love my Puma M92's and have never had an issue with the ..357 Mag or .44 Mag. Besides, it the 1892 was good enough for the Rifleman and the Duke, it's good enough for me.

My .44 Magnum Rossi M92 Puma:
    Last edited by gglass; November 8th, 2009 at 03:55 PM.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Wink ummmmm kinda sorta....

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Maybe a silly question...anyone make a lever or pump carbine in 9mm?
    Not a pump, but I used to own one of these in a 9mm and I loved it! I had an extended 30rd mag for a Browning Hi-Power and that was the mag type I got the carbine for. Kel Tec The folding nature of this gun put it at almost exactly 18" folded. Very 0-0-7!

I also like this (next on my purchase list): Kel Tec
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by gglass View Post
    Go for the Rossi M92 Puma and be done with it. The Winchester 1892 action was designed around pistol length cartridges whereas the 1894 was designed around the longer (30-30) rifle cartridges. The only real issues that occasionally seem to crop up is when feeding the shorter pistol cartridges through a 1894 action.

I love my Puma M92's and have never had an issue with the ..357 Mag or .44 Mag. Besides, it the 1892 was good enough for the Rifleman and the Duke, it's good enough for me.

My .44 Magnum Rossi M92 Puma:
    I think you're confusing the 1894 (which was also designed around pistol length cartridges) with the model 36/336 (the .30-30 length action).

PC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links