Help w/ Remington 870 purchase and setup.

This is a discussion on Help w/ Remington 870 purchase and setup. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Pistol grip is easier to handle......MO...... but not very fun to shoot with a full load....specially 3" heavy loads. As I said before, if you ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help w/ Remington 870 purchase and setup.

Pistol grip is easier to handle......MO...... but not very fun to shoot with a full load....specially 3" heavy loads. As I said before, if you like a pistol grip...get one, but get a folding stock with it. Then you can have the stock folded out of the way most of the time, but can deploy it if needed.

500/590 is a very good gun..... you can get the "slugster" in the mossberg (what i have) so it comes w/ a rifled & ported barrel. Its fun to shoot slugs out of....thats for sure!! (but not with a pistol grip)

Either way you go....870 or 500/590....... I promise you'll be happy with it!! Very fun and very customizable......
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

2. Remove Ads

So 18.5" or 20" barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post
    So 18.5" or 20" barrel?
    Don't think you will notice a difference.

Are you planning on moving through the house with it, or just defend in place?

If you plan on moving (not a good idea tactically to try and clear a home by yourself) shorter would be better.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Thinking of using it while moving. My wife has a .40 she helps me with...but I would still be moving.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Don't think you will notice a difference.

Are you planning on moving through the house with it, or just defend in place?

If you plan on moving (not a good idea tactically to try and clear a home by yourself) shorter would be better.
    I agree with 10thmtn, that said, I bought the M590A1 with the 20" barrel because it has the largest capacity. It also has a 1 piece magazine tube, unlike the 870 and the heavy walled barrel was spec'd by the armed forces specifically because of the bayonet, and the stresses its use would put on a barrel. I love this shotgun.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Give the Mossberg M590A1 a serious consideration. Model 51663 is the model that the Navy just ordered 15,000 units of. Built like a tank. One piece mag tube, heavy walled barrel and bayonet mount and ghost ring sights. After handling the M590A1 the Rem 870 feels like a toy.
    Do you have anymore info on this? I've searched and can't locate it, thanks.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

[QUOTE=10thmtn;1367597]I've also read some reports of cheek-slap with it. QUOTE]

I read the whole cheek slap thing and I have never had it happen to me (more likely inexperienced shooters) and I let my brother use it for his LEO training and he did not have that happen to him at all.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

The ported & Rifled Mossberg only comes in a 20"...... and it's really not that bad. But clearing with a long barrel gun is hard...... a shot gun is more for a barricade yourself in a room a defend situation......god forbid anyone open the door with that pointed at them.....

An I agree with most..... If you are for sure you heard someone in the house, 911 and barricade. That is unless you have to get to your kids or others in the house, then take you weapons and barricade there. Would have to think there is nothing in your house worth risking your life over......let them have it, and insurance can replace it. Prolly just a good yell and a rack of the shotgun when you chamber will prolly get them to leave, because they are thinking the same thing.......nothing in your house is worth dieing over........

So 18" or 20"....... don't matter, 16" tactical would not be bad either, but I really like my rifled & ported barrel......... porting really keeps the barrel level. It puts the kick back into your shoulder instead of lifting the barrel.....and thats why I dont want a pistol grip on mine......prolly break my wrist..... LOL
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Visit the (serious) working pros and see what they do. Simple stuff, all based around reliability & application. Most run fixed stocks (fewer with pistol grips), extended mag tubes, side saddle shell-holders & sturdy ghost-ring sights. First/best mod? An oversized (mushroom) safety.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

[QUOTE=Kenny256;1369358]
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I've also read some reports of cheek-slap with it. QUOTE]

I read the whole cheek slap thing and I have never had it happen to me (more likely inexperienced shooters) and I let my brother use it for his LEO training and he did not have that happen to him at all.
    See my above post....... a ported barrel will really push back and, yea, it knocks my earphones off my ears sometimes......have NEVER had that happen with a non-ported barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post
    Snowman 23...do you have any pics?
    Sorry. Don't have any pics right now. BUT mine looks exactly like the bottom one that SubNine posted....just without the camo.

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Do you have anymore info on this? I've searched and can't locate it, thanks.
    Mossberg 51663 590A1 12ga 9SH HBGSRNG for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $441.00

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossber...s._Model_590A1

Military use

Mossberg claims the Model 500 is the only shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test, "a brutal and unforgiving torture test with 3,000 rounds of full power 12 gauge buckshot". (The updated 3443G specification requires a metal trigger guard, so only the Model 590A1 variants, which have a heavier barrel and use metal trigger groups instead of the standard Model 500's plastic trigger groups, will fit the requirements.[2])
    While the Army and Marines officially switched to the semi-automatic M1014 Combat Shotgun in 1999, various branches of the US military are still acquiring pump shotguns. The Navy acquired several thousand Mossberg 590A1 shotguns in 2004[9], and the US Army placed an order in 2005 for 14,818 units at a price of just over US$316 each[10] (The Benelli M1014 is considerably more expensive).

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Mossberg 51663 590A1 12ga 9SH HBGSRNG for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $441.00

Mossberg 500 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Military use

Mossberg claims the Model 500 is the only shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test, "a brutal and unforgiving torture test with 3,000 rounds of full power 12 gauge buckshot". (The updated 3443G specification requires a metal trigger guard, so only the Model 590A1 variants, which have a heavier barrel and use metal trigger groups instead of the standard Model 500's plastic trigger groups, will fit the requirements.[2])
    While the Army and Marines officially switched to the semi-automatic M1014 Combat Shotgun in 1999, various branches of the US military are still acquiring pump shotguns. The Navy acquired several thousand Mossberg 590A1 shotguns in 2004[9], and the US Army placed an order in 2005 for 14,818 units at a price of just over US$316 each[10] (The Benelli M1014 is considerably more expensive).
    I'm referring to your statement of the Navy just ordering 15,000 units.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    I'm referring to your statement of the Navy just ordering 15,000 units.
    I must have glanced over that passage and mistakenly attributed the Army acquisition to the Navy and got the dates wrong. Sorry. Either way, it's a GREAT shotgun. My future brother in law who is Army Special Forces OAD had men in his unit with these in Iraq and Afghanistan.

VIP Member
    I am with you, I will take the mossy any day of the week. I honestly don't like the long pump handle on the 870, if you notice people change it on them all the time. Then they look like mossy's after the change. Either way both are great.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links