870 sights?

This is a discussion on 870 sights? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; id like to get some good sights for the 870, and also for our pardner pump. i figure ill get the same sights for both ...

Thread: 870 sights?

Question 870 sights?

id like to get some good sights for the 870, and also for our pardner pump. i figure ill get the same sights for both since both are in the house. im thinking of getting the mesa tactical saddle rail, so should i just get a front sight? in a HD situation would i even need anything requiring a rail? as much as id love to put an eotech on it it seems kinda impractical .

i see a bunch of cool looking iron sights around here but no idea what they are or how they go on.

thanks for your help!
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    John Wayne

2. Remove Ads

If you want just a front sight, a night sight bead is cheap and easy to install without much problem:
    MARBLE ARMS : TRITIUM SHOTGUN SIGHT - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools
    or a fiber optic:
    TRUGLO : SHOTGUN STARBRITE DELUXE SIGHT - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools
    If your 870 has the pedestal sight, XS makes a replacement for that, but it's more money:
    XS SIGHT SYSTEMS : SHOTGUN BIG DOT TRITIUM FRONT SIGHT - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools
    Not sure what threads the stock beads are, but they have a chart at Brownell's. Can't find it right now but I know it's there somewhere.

I like the rail they make. If you have the stand off distance to make use of an optic, go for it. I like the reflex sights from Meprolight and the Tru Glo scopes.

Traditionally I like just a normal bead sight on my shotguns, and it works well in most situations.

Recently though I got a 930 SPX, and am really digging the ghost ring sights on it, I think they are a pretty good addition to a defense shotgun. As fas as makers, I think google and the members here will be able to suggest some good ones.

Honestly I'd stay away from any sort of electronic sight on a shotgun. I'd be worried about recoil issues and how well the sight handles it, and in my mind it just seems kinda sacrilegious.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Hadn't thought about the recoil effect on the Tru Glo. I guess the biggest I've used one on is a TC pistol in .223 or a couple of ARs. Nothing with serious recoil. I'd trust the reflex, tho. Seems studier.

Administrator
    Whats wrong with the standard bead?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Superhouse, I know that I have seen electronic dot type shots made before for shotgun use, so I'm sure there are some out there that can take the recoil, but I wouldn't really want to trust my life on it, but that is just my personal opinion. Just like personally I won't put any sights on a fighting rifle that I can not immediately transition to a set up back ups if it goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

SIXTO, plain bead sights are boring, and everyone has them . There is actually nothing wrong with them, they work quite well and have done so for a long time. But the OP was asking for opinions different types of sites, and variety is the spice of life.

Honestly though, I'd add a weapon mounted flashlight before I spent money on any expensive new sight systems though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I like the Scattergun Technology Ghost Ring Tritium Sights.

Up close I look over the ring and use the front sight. That will take some practice, but it can be done, accurately I may add. For further distances I use the Ghost Ring as intended. This way I have the best of both worlds IMO.

Another good option is a tritium bead. I find that the front bead, or sight, having tritium is an asset that helps to draw the eye to it. This is a plus IMO, as it makes aiming easier, and we all know that you do indeed have to aim a shotgun if you want to hit your target. Beads, plain, work, just not as well in low light situations.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Absolutely Nothing. Remeber folks at it's core, the shotgun is not a truly "aimed" gun. It is more of a pointed weapon. The only exception to this is probably Turkey hunting where you are taking a 40 yard shot on a very small vital area.

In the HD setting, yes, you do need to have it pointing with a degree of accuracy because the shot spread at defensive distances will not be sufficient to hit everything downrange. But I'd suggest practicing your shotgun point shooting. I have found there are amazing results to be found both in speed and accuracy from all points of mounting the weapon--everything from the hip to fully shouldered.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

my wife uses the pardner pump now, and she says she cant see it. she practices with the shotgun in house at night, in case of an at night intruder.....and complains that "that front brass beat that it has sucks and seems invisible" as she puts it. so i guess im looking for something that will work in very low light more so for her pardner than my 870 i gotta keep her happy she is the one that lets me buy my toys
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    John Wayne

Links