Looking for an Inexpensive...

This is a discussion on Looking for an Inexpensive... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tactical style Semi Auto Rifle for Range and Home Defense chambered in 5.56/.223 that can be had for under $1K. I don't really know what ...

Thread: Looking for an Inexpensive...

Tactical style Semi Auto Rifle for Range and Home Defense chambered in 5.56/.223 that can be had for under $1K. I don't really know what my options are other than the AR15. I saw the Mini 14, but I wouldn't consider it tactical. Are there any other rifles worth considering in my budget??? I do want it to be able to shoot both 5.56 and .223. Thanks in advance.

Make sure you get your rifle chambered in 5.56 in order to be able to shoot both. I'm a big fan of AR's, and you should be able to find a basic unit for under a grand, although with goodies it can get quite a bit more expensive. I've been pleased with my Bushmaster M4gery, and also heard good things about Rock River Arms.

There are also AK variants out there that have been chambered in 5.56, or Galil rifles, not sure about prices on those though.

They do have more "tactical" (for whatever that word actually means, I don't personally like in its current usage) Mini-14's with pistol grips and adjustable stocks and rails and whatnot.

If you go the AR route, make sure you get as many of the options you want on your initial purchase. Like I wanted a chrome lined barrel, 5.56 chamber, adjustable stock, 16.5" barrel, flat top reciever, ect...
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Kel-Tec SU16, builtin folding stock, AR mags, American Made and very versitile.
    Cheers

What exactly is "Tactical"? If you mean something with all the possible accessories, black stock instead of wood, folding stock, etc - the Mini-14 can do all that, too. Otherwise - well, I think the Mini-14 can do pretty much all the same stuff as the AR. Why do you consider it "not tactical"?

But there ARE AR's for < $1000 - priced similarly to the Mini-14, and with greater interchangeability of parts.

Siddhartha - thanks for the tip! One of the main reasons I decided against the Mini-14 was the magazines - I didn't know of other options that could take AR mags.

Not semi-auto, but something to consider.

Remington Law Enforcement - Rifles - Model 7615P Patrol Rifle
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
    Cheers
    Agree!! Go for the "C" model.
    "Evil prospers when good men and women do nothing" - British citizen

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    mini 14 can be had with "tactical" skins but you will pay more for magazines. Something to think about is the 5.45X39 you can get them in AK or AR rifles maybe some others. Same caliber but ammo is super cheap compaired to .223/5.56
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I agree with the Kel-tec suggestion and the Remington 7615 is also a very usable model as well with a 870 style pump action and takes AR mags as well.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    If you're not sold on an AR, want 5.56 under grand - check out the Arsenal AK in 5.56. Last I saw they were running an amazing sale. For $1K you could get a rifle, a bunch of mags, and plenty of ammo to know how to run it...

K-VAR Corporation :: Rifles & Shotguns :: SLR-106 Series 5.56x45 Caliber Bulgarian Stamped Receiver AK-74 Variant Rifles :: SLR106-31
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
    Cheers

Just picked up one of these at the gun show this weekend. priced at $479 - a good chunk less than the Mini-14 or even bottom-end AR's. Shot it yesterday - pretty happy with it overall. Especially happy that it takes standard AR mags.

Links