Bushmaster AR-15 ??? - Page 2

Bushmaster AR-15 ???

This is a discussion on Bushmaster AR-15 ??? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good gun, but that price seems pretty steep to me. -Plop...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bushmaster AR-15 ???

Good gun, but that price seems pretty steep to me.

-Plop
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have a Bushmaster with the heavy barrel A3. I was told that the heavy barrel is more accurate. I picked mine up 6 months ago for 950 through my FFL. Your price seems high. Also, remember you will end up spending more than the price on accessories, I guarantee it. Once you start shoppong for goodies you can't quit. I recommend you get the A3 version so you can remove the carry handle for optics and sights.

@ BAC......

Yea, it's the Gov. barrel, my I (and my smiths) refer to ANY AR that has the smaller barrel as a thin barrel, simply because it has the same diam. in the cut down portions as the lightweight barrel (see SGBs AR? The barrel is smaller than the flash suppressor. A Lightweight barrel.) This makes the barrel only as strong as it's thinnest part. Now in my experience in the military, and outside as well, this is a weak spot for the AR platform. Yea the lightweight barrels are lighter, but they overheat faster. Same as a "govt" barrel w/ the 203 notches. It's where the barrel will fail first. This is why I always recommend the heavy or (my fav) the bull barrel. There is absolutely nothing wrong with shooting a lightweight barrel, it's just not what I want, nor recommend to a serious shooter.

This IS of course….. MHO as always!
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

@ KAP
    We prolly have the same rifle Kap...... mine is post-ban so it's a few years old! :)

@ Ram
    What Bushy do you have? You gonna bring it when you come shoot??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

BAC
    Interesting. And yet Bravo Co., Daniel Defense, and others who market more towards the heavier shooting community are all coming out with or already offer lightweight barrels (at customers' requests). Both ADCO and MSTN regularly turn down (make thinner) barrels for customers. G&R Tactical took a poll for who would buy custom uppers with lightweight Colt barrels and there was quite a lot of interest. This may be a good read.

For what it's worth, Army shoot-to-destruction tests did not show barrel failures at the 203 notch on gov't profile barrels (the file is too big for an in-post attachment, I can email it to you if you want). I think all failure points were under the handguards, but I haven't read it in a while.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

@ BAC
    Yea... I love facts & info, and your right....failure is under the hand guards, but on the Govt. models only the M4A2 has the heavy barrel under the hand guards and is a lot more resistant to over heating, the others have the same Diam. as the 203 notch under the hand guards with a larger diam. for the front site mounts & hand guards. Most military failures in the barrels right now, in the middle east, are from "sustained fire barrel over heating." (notice I said barrel, not weapon) I'm not gonna argue the cyclic Vs. sustained fire..... if they feel they need to hold the trigger down and run through the mags..... I'm not gonna second guess, cause I'm not there right now......
    SO, I'm not advocating against the light weight barrels for EVERYONE, heck, I don't really care what they shoot, I'm just not gonna recommend them to friends and family...... bottom line is, I really don't know WHAT I'll have to do with my weapons, but I DO want to eliminate as many weak spots or troubles I may have before I need to find out. That is only MO on the subject..... I really like, and will only own, a heavy or bull barrel...... wait, let me rephrase that.....only own, UNLESS someone wants to GIVE me a lightweight barrel.....I'll take that any day......just not paying for one......

BAC
    There's a difference between hard use and abuse. Using the weapon hard means using it at the upper end of its design parameters. If you're abusing the weapon then you're exceeding its design parameters and something is going to fail. This is true of everything out there. By your logic, we ought to be making 1" thick inconel barrels for guns that may go into harms way. I'm willing to bet that most barrel failures in the military aren't on ARs either, but on machine guns, since it takes far more rounds in one sitting to destroy an AR barrel than a soldier is likely to have on him (20+ magazines).

Lightweight barrels are plenty strong enough to fight hard with; ask the guys who take them to training courses, the guys who teach said courses, and the 3-gun and run-and-gun competition guys who just plain shoot a lot. Of the parts on an AR-15, the barrel is one of the least likely to fail if it's made well (the barrels will usually outlast most other parts on the rifle, save for some of the low-stress lower assembly parts...), and there are a lot of well-made lightweight and medium-weight barrels out there. If it's a personal preference, cool, rock on with the heavier barrel, but isn't it a bit disingenuous to suggest against something that's not problematic?

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I don't have a high opinion of Bushmaster's products, and for $1250 you could easily get a Colt 6920, a Daniel Defense XV (which comes with a $250 gift cert if bought by the end of the year) or a Bravo Company complete rifle from gandrtactical.com.

Of course there are those that will be along soon to say that you don't NEED a rifle that's actually built to a standard - but I say if you can have one that is and one that isn't for the same price, doesn't it make sense to buy the better rifle?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Sorry, NOT gonna argue with you...... I went to armor school in the military, and I have friends who teach armor classes in the military to this day. I also have a cpl guys who do my smith work here (one is possibly the best in S. Colorado) and say the exact same things my friends have told me. Besides, an AR has never been classified as a machine gun (machine guns are usually a crew served weapon.) So disingenuous? Not in the least, i would never recomend to someone something that is "ok." I'll recommend something that they can stake their life on, because I stake my life on it as well...... and that my friend is a heavy barreled weapon. I have carried the A1 & A2, the SAW, the 60 cal., and the 50 cal., so I can tell you that it really doesn't take to much to overheat the barrel at a sustained rate of fire for ANY of these weapons, let alone one with a lightweight barrel.
    But that is why we are on here and ppl ask us...... you get to make recommendations or opinions on all your experiance with weapons, and I get to make my recomendations based on my experiance with weapons.
    For the record..... I have over heated an A2 barrel and a 60 cal. barrel..... the 60 cal. got so hot it went run away and we had to break the links. The A2's rifleing was.......well, not really rifleing anymore, it became more of a shotgun.... but again.....this is OMO! Please, everyone, purchase whatever you feel comfortable with.......I already told the OP it was too much money for too little weapon.......

sgb
    60 cal. ? ........... sure you don't mean the M 60 in 7.62?

As to overheating a AR barrel ........... well I've never seen a semi-auto AR get as hot as a M-16a1 on auto. I've run hundreds of rounds through the M16a1 at a time with the go fast switch on without damage to the weapon. To each their own.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    60 cal. ? ........... sure you don't mean the M 60 in 7.62?

As to overheating a AR barrel ........... well I've never seen a semi-auto AR get as hot as a M-16a1 on auto. I've run hundreds of rounds through the M16a1 at a time with the go fast switch on without damage to the weapon. To each their own.
    Yea...sorry, it was late and I started to rattle off nomenclature, but then switched back to Cal. as I figured everyone would know the caliber but maybe not Nom. Not sure everyone knows A1,A2, M3,M4 Ect. differences.
    Really the only barrel diff, between A1 & A2 was, A2 had a thicker barrel AFTER the hand guards, but had the same barrel UNDER the hand guards, which made no sense to me. Most failures come under the hand guards because there is more heat there, however, some barrels have been bent at the weak/thinner points because of......well, imagine what a solider might do with a weapon while fighting for his & his buddies lives. I can only speculate how a barrel would get bent, and I really don't care as long as they brought it back alive. They can have a new weapon.

So I stand by my original post..... I, personally, based on my experience, only recommend a heavy or bull barrel. But that is only my recommendations.....If someone wants a weapon made of paper mache, (and i'm NOT say that as if any are....just an example) that is their choice……again, I really don’t care what they carry………

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    When I was looking to buy a black rifle I was looking for a Bushmaster because
    it was made right here in Maine. I wanted to have the ability to shoot 556 or 223 ammo with out any problems.I waned a chromed barrel as they are easier to clean,last thing I wanted to 7 twist or 1 to 9 twist in the barrel and ended up getting 1to 9 twist.

I have a Bushmaster dissipator (16" barrel, flat top, long handguard, low-profile gas block, fixed front sight) that I bought about 2 years ago new for $825. With this economy and the amount of guns flooding back onto the market (especially the used market), with the demand down, you should be able to get a good deal. Alot better than $1250 anyways.

As far as bushy is concerned, its a great gun and great company. I have received great service and have modified the heck out of it, a new trigger, a few different uppers. I shoot it a lot and it is holding up better than my DPMS.

This is a local guy in NH that does business through gallery of guns, but this should give you an idea of where you stand. Davidson's Catalog Item Detail

I'll chime in here as a very happy Bushmaster customer, (6 total).

Left to right: M-4, 4 rail free floater, Modular Carbine, 20" A-2, M-4 Heavy Barrel, Carbon 15, Model 21-S Pistol

Bushmaster BA-50 Rifle. All of my Bushmasters have served me well with zero problems. All have run like a top with zero FTF or FTE for thousands of rounds. Bill T.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links