Mossberg 500 50278

This is a discussion on Mossberg 500 50278 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I will appreciate any personal experience info on the Mossberg 500 in the 50278 model. I searched, but only found a closed thread with one ...

Thread: Mossberg 500 50278

Mossberg 500 50278

I will appreciate any personal experience info on the Mossberg 500 in the 50278 model. I searched, but only found a closed thread with one response. It was no help. Thanks in advance.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

2. Remove Ads

Overall great shotgun. ONE problem I personally have is the 6 position stock. Never liked them on a shotgun, probably never will. I prefer a straight stock or a full length pistol grip stock (not the hip fired version). All this specific model of mossberg is, is the Mossberg 500 12 gauge with the marine-cote (mariner model) with an M-4 style stock and a "tactical" fore grip. Also, for anyone wishing to see it, heres a link to one I googled. By the way, I believe it is choked cylinder and hold the same as standard mossberg 500, 5 + 1.
    ~Steve

TheGunSource: Mossberg Rifles/Shotguns Mossberg 50278 MARNR 12 18 6SH CB TACT SYN
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    Overall great shotgun. ONE problem I personally have is the 6 position stock. Never liked them on a shotgun, probably never will. I prefer a straight stock or a full length pistol grip stock (not the hip fired version). All this specific model of mossberg is, is the Mossberg 500 12 gauge with the marine-cote (mariner model) with an M-4 style stock and a "tactical" fore grip. Also, for anyone wishing to see it, heres a link to one I googled. By the way, I believe it is choked cylinder and hold the same as standard mossberg 500, 5 + 1.
    ~Steve

TheGunSource: Mossberg Rifles/Shotguns Mossberg 50278 MARNR 12 18 6SH CB TACT SYN
    i agree with you 100% on the 6 position stock. they are simply inappropriate for use on a Mossberg with the top-mounted safety. I have a Mossberg M590A1 (51663) and it is a really great HD shotgun. I don't need a speed feed stock or a heat shield because they just add additional weight and I never fire a shotgun in enough rapid succession to heat up that heavy walled barrel anyway. My advice is to keep your HD shotty basic and that way you can use it in the field as well as for defensive purposes.

I would note that the LOP on the M590A1 is a little long for me. I will probably be replacing the stock with a Hogue that is about 1.65 inches shorter. But otherwise the Mossberg is a great gun and a great value.

both replies are appreciated....

I am not really 'up' on shotguns. I have only owned 2 in past years, many years past. Neither of those were pumps. I am interested in a HD gun only with regard to shotguns, and I am thinking the shorter overall length the better. Thanks, again.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

"hip fired version"

What is a "hip fired version"?

Shotguns with a pistol grip should be fired from outside your pectoral versus down by your hip.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Forgive the way I worded it. I meant to say a full-stocked version NOT a true pistol grip version. Pictures are better because Im very tired. This is worth a thousand word errors that I will need to fix if I continue to type...

I meant like the stock on the benelli autoloader,that stock is GOOD, the other shotgun is BAD in my opinion. My apologies, Im too tired and have been all day.. Also, I will NEVER hold a 12 guage like the one here ANYWHERE near pectoral (chest) region unless there is a stock and the butt is against my shoulder... I like my face just the way it is..
    ~Steve
    Attached Images
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

SteveinNEPA

A right handed shooter would hold a pistol grip shotgun just to the right of his/her right pectoral, elbow bent and tucked close to the body. This is more of a close quarters (7 ~ 12 yards) point shooting affair versus using sights.

BTW, Tobyhanna is one of my favorite places. A friend has a cabin in the area that he generously allows my wife and I to use to get some down time away from the hustle and bustle of Long Island.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Links