Ruger SR-556 or Something Else

This is a discussion on Ruger SR-556 or Something Else within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I love the new SR-556 but it's a bit out of my price range. SO I am trying to determine if there are any other ...

Thread: Ruger SR-556 or Something Else

I love the new SR-556 but it's a bit out of my price range. SO I am trying to determine if there are any other similar options out there a little cheaper. What I like about the SR is it's tactical appearance with the Rails and the piston Drive and the caliber. U

The only other options I know of are the Sig 556 and the Keltec SU16 - which I am serioulsy considering at this point because it seems to have a lot going for it and seems to have relatively positive reviews. The Sig is probably just as expensive if not more.

Thoughts

Mini 14 or AK if you are on a budget. BTW 5.45x39mm ammo is the cheapest bulk ammo going right now.

I hate to answer a question with a question but whats the main factor ?
    Caliber (5.56/223) or the actual rifle design ? I think the Ruger is great
    and just keep saving until you can get it or build your own black rifle.
    Ruger P345, S&W 637
    SKS, Ruger 1022
    Two Fist

No purpose other than I always wanted an AR but after some research, I think I want the more modern look of the SR556 as an example.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    What is your price range?

I bought a Daniel Defensive for about $1100.

After taking a basic carbine course, I came to the conclusion, as stated by the instructor, that unless I am Mr. Tactical, all those accessories just add extra weight to the front end and really don't give you that much.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

The benefit to the Ruger over traditional black rifles at this point, is that the Ruger has an "adjustable" gas piston drive. This allows you to shoot great ammo to crappy dirty ammo with the same result......flawless functioning...... Supposedly......... I don’t have one, but based on the Ruger reputation, and how every other Ruger eats anything I can stuff in it, I would prolly says the claims are justified. The piston will also lock the rifle to a single shot if needed or desired. (means manual cycling)
    I AM biased in this opinon though!! LMAO!! That being said, they can be bought all day for 1400-1500 bucks..... If your that set on one, save the extra 500-600 bucks....... I'm betting you'll love it........
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

I have shot the SR-556 and love it. If I could find a way to trade my crappy DPMS AR for it I would, otherwise, my wife won;t let me spend the $$$$.

If you have the opportunity to buy one, I would.

I have shot the SR-556 and love it. If I could find a way to trade my crappy DPMS AR for it I would, otherwise, my wife won;t let me spend the $$$$.

If you have the opportunity to buy one, I would.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    I love the new SR-556 but it's a bit out of my price range. SO I am trying to determine if there are any other similar options out there a little cheaper. What I like about the SR is it's tactical appearance with the Rails and the piston Drive and the caliber. U

The only other options I know of are the Sig 556 and the Keltec SU16 - which I am serioulsy considering at this point because it seems to have a lot going for it and seems to have relatively positive reviews. The Sig is probably just as expensive if not more.

Thoughts
    I recently purchased a gas-piston AR made by CMMG from cdnninvestments.com. They are currently listing them for sale at $899. One point to note, however, is that the listing claims that the barrel is chrome-lined and in fact it is not. CMMG uses a proprietary finish called WASP and the barrel is finished with this, rather than chrome. The carbonized finish is supposed to be twice as hard as chrome (at least that's what the CMMG rep told me when I inquired about it) and the barrel has a 1:9 twist, rather than 1:7.

I have been extremely happy with my gun. Lifetime warranty included. Mine did not come with sights so I picked up a pair of Troy flip-ups used for $200. It also does not come with rails, as does the ruger, so that would factor in to the cost as well.

FYI, WASP is not propietary - it's a form of Melonite (I don't know if it's Melonite Q, Melonite QP, or Melonite QPQ). Melonite is ferritc carbonnitriding, nothing new, but an EXCELLENT heat treatment.

I prefer to stick to DI on the ar platform. There's no hardened steel rails guiding the bolt carrier back. With a piston, the force that sends the carrier back does not originate from the centerline of the bore, but above it, which tilts the carrier into the reciever and/or buffer tube.

CMMG runs a larger dia 'tail' of the carrier if my memory serves me right, which is designed to minimize this - once you get the usual amount from break in that should be it.

The force on the carrier that moves it comes from the centerline of the bore on the DI systems, which aids in it's repeatability, and accuracy. I have a chrome lined bore/chamber and a TiN coated bolt carrer group that I've ran bone dry, 4 mags as fast as I can, without a problem, and then repeated the same test by taking teh bolt carrier group and literally soaking it in oil - no problems that way either. I have yet to run into issues with my new phosphated, chrome lined, bolt carrier group either.

In the AR platform, to me, it's simply an answer to the "but I want a piston!" demand. They can and will get just as dirty as a DI gun (although it will take more rounds, unless suppressed), and can and will malfunction, probably to the same degree as a maintained DI gun. They do suffer from a little less accuracy, but unless you're a precision long distance shooter, it shouldn't matter to you.

In short - if you want a piston gun, I'd reccomend shopping around for one where the base platform was designed to be a piston operated action. I'm holding out for the Remington ACR, whenever that comes out, for my piston gun :)
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

I like my SU-16. For the price, I prefer it to the Mini-14, mainly because it can take AR magazines, vs spending $90 each on the Ruger mags. If you're shopping in the <$700 range, I would recommend it.

If you can look at $1000 or so, look into regular AR's.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I'm holding out for the Remington ACR, whenever that comes out, for my piston gun :)
    You and me both...

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Found this. Nice. Looks like the XM8.

Remington ACR
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Sponsored Links