AK-47 muzzle brake removal: NEED HELP!!

This is a discussion on AK-47 muzzle brake removal: NEED HELP!! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm trying to remove my WASR-10's slant muzzle brake so that I can put a new PWS FSC47 brake on, but I cannot get it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK-47 muzzle brake removal: NEED HELP!!

AK-47 muzzle brake removal: NEED HELP!!

I'm trying to remove my WASR-10's slant muzzle brake so that I can put a new PWS FSC47 brake on, but I cannot get it off. I know that the threads are opposite, but it will not budge.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Odds are that it's welded on.

This may sound very stupid. But did you push the detent (button) down and turn it at the same time? (this is only if its not welded) Also, try a little break free or PB blaster, friend had one that wasnt welded and it was stuck like it was. PB took it off nice and easy.
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Post high quality detailed (macro) photos of the brake from several angles if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    This may sound very stupid. But did you push the detent (button) down and turn it at the same time? (this is only if its not welded) Also, try a little break free or PB blaster, friend had one that wasnt welded and it was stuck like it was. PB took it off nice and easy.
    ~Steve
    yes, i did have the plunger pushed down. What do you mean by PB blaster?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob13 View Post
    yes, i did have the plunger pushed down. What do you mean by PB blaster?
    It's a penetrant/rust remover that every man needs in his toolox. Sold at most decent hardware stores. As was suggested......pics...must have pics!

PB blaster is an orange colored, very powerful rust breaker/corrosion destroyer. It is called PB Blaster,comes in an areosol can and is sold in places like NAPA, autozone etc. Only reason I suggested it was because on my friends AK the brake had frozen in place due to rust/corrosion in the threads. PB will seep into the SMALLEST of crevices and free almost anything. Used to use it on lug nuts and brake chamber bolts and such on tractor trailers, works GREAT. (Just dont get it on anything like leather,suede,styrofoam it will literally MELT styrofoam) If absolutely NOT welded, spray it down, wait a little while - 1/2 hour or so and try to move it by hand. If not try a pair of pliers and WRAP THE JAWS in something that will protect the finish but not slip and slowly try to turn it off. ALSO as said before - PICS FROM VARIOUS ANGLES, HIGH QUALITY TOO PLEASE
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

I'm uploading some photos from photobucket, but it is not responding.
    Standby

So..what is it that you don't like about the original slant brake? Just asking. Looks like some epoxy of some sort behind it. I'm thinking a little application of heat may help, like one of those small plumber's torches for sweating copper. What sort of tools have you tried in your attempts to remove it? If you are using clamp type pliers, it may be crushing it down even worse. If you don't care about saving the original brake, then I might suggest using a small pipe wrench and good vise, EZ outs or pipe removers (use a size large enough not to go into the muzzle!). I also might cut it with my Dremel tool and still save the threads. I am an aspiring gunsmith, and I'd treat every firearm like my own. I've never screwed up anything. I would try the heat first. The brake should be softer than the barrel steel. We need Rock and Glock back since he's more of an AK expert. We'll get things going one way or another, just don't get impatient and do something you'll need to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    So..what is it that you don't like about the original slant brake? Just asking. Looks like some epoxy of some sort behind it. I'm thinking a little application of heat may help, like one of those small plumber's torches for sweating copper. What sort of tools have you tried in your attempts to remove it? If you are using clamp type pliers, it may be crushing it down even worse. If you don't care about saving the original brake, then I might suggest using a small pipe wrench and good vise, EZ outs or pipe removers (use a size large enough not to go into the muzzle!). I also might cut it with my Dremel tool and still save the threads. I am an aspiring gunsmith, and I'd treat every firearm like my own. I've never screwed up anything. I would try the heat first. The brake should be softer than the barrel steel. We need Rock and Glock back since he's more of an AK expert. We'll get things going one way or another, just don't get impatient and do something you'll need to fix.
    I wanted to upgrade to the PWS FSC47 brake. I really don't care how beat up the old brake gets because i don't plan on saving it. I did put some WD40 on it an let it soak in for a while then try it, but it didn't work.

I wanted to upgrade to the PWS FSC47 brake, it has less muzzle climb and reduces recoil. I'm not trying to save the old one so i really don't care how beat up it gets.
    Roger that. I'm not real familiar with the brake you're wanting to add. Only reason I am in the loop on the AK's is because of small experience, ownership, and a certain respect and love of the platform. I don't keep myself as up to speed as I should in some areas.
    There's another really good AK expert on this forum, and I'm thinking it's Rob72 or something. He really knows his stuff, so like I say....just be patient.

I don't have a torch available at the moment, but do you think that a lighter or candle would work if i just let it sit on there for a while?

I don't have a torch available at the moment, but do you think that a lighter or candle would work if i just let it sit on there for a while?
    No. Let's just give it a while, and more help will arrive. You need more input before you do anything. I'm serious. Your firearm is an investment.

Do you know anything about that PB blaster stuff?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links