HD shotgun for a woman

This is a discussion on HD shotgun for a woman within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That would be me. I intended to buy a pistol grip with a fold out stock thing but was talked out of it by the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HD shotgun for a woman

HD shotgun for a woman

That would be me. I intended to buy a pistol grip with a fold out stock thing but was talked out of it by the gun store employee who basically said I would hate it, it would be awful etc. So I bought a Mossberg Maverick 12G and it is too LONG for me. Had no problem shooting it and I didn't fall over either but it is too long for me to pump it easily. This is going to be for home defense. I will practice of course but it is not going to be used to hunt or any other purpose. I have several handguns and a AR 15 but would like to have a shotgun as well. I am not small, 5'5", just average length arms. I gave the Maverick to my 6' son. Suggestions?
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

2. Remove Ads

He 6'2"
    She 5'1"

We both do well with our mossberg 500, with a pistol grip and collapsible AR-15 style stock. My wife shoots it one notch back from all the way forward, I shoot with it all the way extended.

I'm not familiar with the maverick, but if it's a 500 receiver, you can get a collapsible stock and pistol grip like ours for it, or you can get a bantam (youth/ladies) stock that reduces your length of pull and should make working the action a little easier.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    Here is mine & my wife's.....

Her Mossy has a Hogue over-molded stock. You can see how much shorter than the standard length of my 870. This helped her a lot by decreasing the length of pull. (she's 5'5" 125lbs)

(she also likes the Aimpoint, since there is one on her M4gery....)
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    check out the "junior" model... 13" length of pull with standard stock.

Knoxx, now Blackhawk have recoil reducing stocks if that's an issue. Also, the 20 guage is often overlooked as an adequate SD shotgun.
    HD only, I'd go with a pistol grip (to reduce length) 20 guage junior loaded with buckshot with a mounted light. Depending on the home (apartment, house etc.), you needs will vary. JMO
    Last edited by JB-Norcal; November 28th, 2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: speling

A stock upgrade should fix things for you. Or you can look at shotties in a youth configuration. That should shorten things up so you can pump it ;)
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

VIP Member
    The shortened or adjustable stock will make the biggest difference...You could also look into an autoloader. It would lessen the recoil and with a shortened stock solve the length problem...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the help! I have already given the Maverick to my son, so an alteration is not in the cards, it fits him perfectly.

I am going to check into all the suggestions, I really appreciate it!
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    He nailed it!!!

I agree with the previous poster on the 870 youth 20. If that's not an option, my wife and 16 yr. old daughter (both under 5'5") shoot a Maverick 20 gauge. The stock is shorter on the 20 and shorter barrels can be purchased for the Maverick line of shotguns. I own the 12 gauge you gave to your son. I put an 18 1/2" barrel on mine.

I'd go with a 12ga and federal low recoil buck with the flite control wad. Also try to get something with a sporting type forend rather than the shorter "rat-tail" or "corn-cob" type. Slap a houge youth stock or the speedfeed IV LE butstock on and your good to go. If you go with a mossberg with the tang safty skip the pistol-grip type stock. Since blackhawk took over production of the Knox recoil reducing stocks they have done a little redesign (read "cheaper") and I have heard of the stock slipping out of the channel on occasion and I even hear of the spring slipping the cam and whacking a gun in the face. If you want recoil reduction buy reduced recoil ammo and a good recoil pad.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Here's another vote for a 20 ga. youth model pump gun-either Remington or Mossberg flavor will do. 20 ga. buck or slug loads are certainly adequate for home protection. In addition to having lower recoil than standard 12 ga. loads, the frames on the 20 ga. guns are smaller and lighter.

If you want to hang extra hardware on your gun, a smith can help fit a magazine extension to your shotty, but for home defense purposes, it probably isn't necessary. (Some Remington "Express" models require a minor alteration to remove "dimples" from the end of the magazine tube before an extension can be added. I discovered that the 870 express Youth Model I bought for my son some years ago did NOT have that problem.)

PC

A different slant in HD.

I have this in 12 ga, but you could get it in 20 ga.
    It's not for everyone, but it does serve as my HD partner. Short for movement around the house, and an eye-opener for unwanted guests.

Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme in 12-Gauge and 20-Gauge with 3” Chamber
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My wife has both Remington 1100 20ga and Stoeger Coach Gun 20ga. Her Stoeger is her favorite, by far.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links