Noob with questions about new m4

This is a discussion on Noob with questions about new m4 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How is it going folks. If you haven't read in the new members area I'm Andy from buffalo and I have a new Bushmaster m4 ...

Thread: Noob with questions about new m4

Question Noob with questions about new m4

How is it going folks. If you haven't read in the new members area I'm Andy from buffalo and I have a new Bushmaster m4 carbine. I did not buy the optics ready unit(flattop I think its called), I purchased the cheaper 1k$ model that looks like this http://www.impactguns.com/store/medi...wa3f14m4iz.jpg . A friend of mine is getting rid of an eoTech 512 that he no longer needs because of an upgrade. I was interested in buying it off of him for my rifle. How easy is it to remove the handle and the triangular sight on the barrel. OR should I just remove the handle and leave the triangular sight on like this one http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forum...a/500/M402.JPG ? Someone also told me that a gunsmith would have to do it for me. And would I need to buy rails for the eotech seeing I didn't purchase the optics ready model? ALSO One last question. If I wanted to not go with the eotech and go with a scope, does anyone know of any with a holographic dot or crosshairs in them? I'm a little confused and new to the rifle and accessories and modification of them, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. Remove Ads

You don't need to buy rails unless your Handle isn't sitting on one, and in that case your not getting rid of the handle.

After you remove the handle from the rail (Just unscrew and slide off) if you put the optic on that rail you will either be able to see just above the front sight (cowitness) or it is going to be in the way.

If it's in the way you can buy risers to add height to the rail. PROMAG AR-15 FLAT TOP SCOPE RISER ProMag Flat Top Riser Black A

If your handle isn removable or you don't like the risers you can buy a carry handle rail mount and put the optic on the handle.
    Tapco MNT0914 AR15 Carry Handle Mount
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Thanks man!

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    To get the handle off the depicted rifle would vary in difficulty somewhere between opening a can of soup with a can opener and removing the cap from a bottle of beer.

You shouldn't need to do anything about the front sight except in the off chance that you look through the Eotech and the front sight blocks your vision, in which case you need a spacer, which is simply a piece of metal or plastic that mounts on the rail upon which you can mount the optic.

DC Founder
    My DPMS has a removable handle that is mounted to the rails with two thumb screws on the side. Once removed, the EOTech can be mounted just ahead of a rear iron sight. In fact, you can still use the front and rear iron sights, sighting through the EOTech in some cases. If you don't have a removable handle you may have to use something like the Tapco linked above to have a suitable mount although I'm not sure how well that would work....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Just use the rail that mounts on top of the handle, or spend the 100 bucks to buy a new stripped upper and switch everything over. you'll spend WAY more than that to have it smithed to remove the handle and add the flat top.
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Another great optic for not a lot of $$$ is Bushnells copy of the ACOG. Mine has been awesome and holds zero perfectly!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Thanks for all the input guys. This site is awsome and alot of help. Thanks.

OK, it comes down to whether your carry handle is integral with the upper receiver (sounds like it is), or if it's removable.

If the carry handle is integral, you or a gunsmith can massacre the upper receiver by removing the handle destructively, but you'll be left with an ugly mess and no Picatinny rail upon which to mount your optic. Yes, you can spend $200 or so to get a foreend rail system, and then $400+ for your EOTech... but then you have a front-heavy carbine.

Another option is to get an accessory rail that screws into your carry handle so you can mount your optic. But unless you get a high cheekpiece for your stock, you'll be craning your neck high to see through your abnormally-high-mounted optic. (I have one if those mounts I'd be happy to sell you...). The same will be true for any optical sight, red dot or scope.

If you do mount an optical sight, just leave the front sight in place. Even with flat-tops, with optical sights you are completely unaware of the front sight unless the optic goes down. No need to remove it.

The flat-top really is the most versatile type of carbine, but - don't despair. Just enjoy the heck out of your gun as-is. I trained with a guy who was an Army Reserve Blackhawk driver - almost as old as I am - and this guy was a hard shooter doing as well with iron sights as the rest of us were with sexy optics.

Worst case, trade up to a flat top.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Unless he posted the wrong picture, he has a flattop carbine with the A4-style carry handle and sights.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Another great optic for not a lot of $$$ is Bushnells copy of the ACOG. Mine has been awesome and holds zero perfectly!!

NCH
    What is this copy you speak of ...?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Links