trading an AR15 for Sig 556

This is a discussion on trading an AR15 for Sig 556 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; All, I own four AR15s, with almost enough parts for a fifth. One of which is a Sabre Defense Arms M-4 carbine that I have ...

All, I own four AR15s, with almost enough parts for a fifth. One of which is a Sabre Defense Arms M-4 carbine that I have yet to shoot one time.
    Now for some time I have really had my eyes on the Sig 556, I really want one. I have contemplated selling it to buy a 556, but have been told that regardless of this carbine being virgin, I won't get much on its sale.
    Would trading this AR for a 556 be a fair trade?
    I would love to keep the AR, but since my divorce, money is tight and would take an eternity to save for the Sig rifle.

JD
    Administrator
    You'll LOOSE more on a trade than a sale, unless you're talking an even swap for a used 556.

If you trade to a dealer, he's going to mark up the AR to make some profit, you loose that mark up. If the dealer can get more than he offered you for it, you can get the same $$$ by going for an outright sale to an individual. If you don't want all the hassle, find a shop that will sell it on consignment for you.

Already having 4.5 AR's I say yes, you should trade one on a 556. But I dont think you'll get what it's worth on a trade. Its like w/ cars, they have to be able to make money selling it after the trade.

I'd say your best bet is to find a 3rd party buyer for your AR, then use the money for a Sig.

edit - remember that they will charge you to sell it on consignment for you. Local shop here charges 35% of sale price....
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    Already having 4.5 AR's I say yes, you should trade one on a 556. But I dont think you'll get what it's worth on a trade. Its like w/ cars, they have to be able to make money selling it after the trade.

I'd say your best bet is to find a 3rd party buyer for your AR, then use the money for a Sig.

edit - remember that they will charge you to sell it on consignment for you. Local shop here charges 35% of sale price....
    35% That's robbery.

VIP Member
    I absolutely prefer the Sig 556 to the AR15 platform.

The local shop here charges 12% of final sales price for consignment. 35% is robbery.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    35% That's robbery.
    yep, they charge %30 for layaway too....

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Gun shops are like car dealers, they'll make a penny any way possible w/o feeling bad about it. For every person out there who knows its a rip-off, there are 3 suckers who are willing to pay it.
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    yep, they charge %30 for layaway too....
    Holy ! Tell me you're kidding! I've never once had to pay a dime extra just to put a gun on layaway.

Wherever this shop is, they need to be avoided like the plague. That's insane!
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I've bought 3 guns from them... and I did my shopping around first. They have fair prices on firearms, its just all the little extras they rip you a new one with.

I will not put a gun on layaway, if i cant afford to buy it outright, i dont need it.

I do buisness with them b/c they're reasonable on firearm prices, but I make sure to warn anyone I talk to not to use ANY of their other services
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

My Air Marshal buddy has one of the SIG's and brought it to my property to try out. I was initially kind of confused by the trigger. It is sort of three stages. But once I figured it out, I really liked it. And it is sure easy to clean compared to an AR.

Gregg

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I absolutely prefer the Sig 556 to the AR15 platform.
    Ditto.

I saw this exact same thread last night over at SigForum, and didn't get much action of it there.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Don't be too hard on the local gun shops. Look at the inventory investment they have in relation to sales profit per gun. It's horribly unbalanced. How many gun shop owners do you see driving Mercedes? It's a tough business. Also, they have to compete with these "pocket FFL holders", of which there are fewer today than years past, but they're out there, at most every gun show peddling their wares. Then you have the politicians trying to ban most everything they can make a profit on. Any type of "black rifle" is on the hit list. Those are the guns that have the greatest sales potential.

Last but not least they are now forced to compete with the big sporting goods chains. Cabela's, Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse, this list goes on. Any way you look at it, owning a small gun shop today is a tough business to make a living at. Bill T.

Links