Benelli M4 and 922r violations

This is a discussion on Benelli M4 and 922r violations within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The M4 Benelli looks to be a really great gun and I've been wanting one for some time now. Don't let the two extra rounds ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Benelli M4 and 922r violations

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    The M4 Benelli looks to be a really great gun and I've been wanting one for some time now. Don't let the two extra rounds or lack thereof ruin the experience of owning such a nice gun. There's a deference in a HD scenario and a gun fight. From my limited understanding of the matter, you're most likely not ever going to need 7 rounds of 00 buckshot to get you out of a jam. If you're really finding a need to pour out volumes of lead, fight your way to your AR with 30 or more rounds, etc. (IMHO).

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    A Benelli dealer told me I needed to change 3 parts total. The magazine tube + 2 other ones.

The same rep told me the FNH one does not get imported fully assembled and the missing parts ar added in the US, that's why you can buy it with the larger tube capacity. He could not say anything negative about it. So I might get the FNH SLP Tactical.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    As mentioned in a previous thread, a Benelli M4 followed me home from a gun show. I was a little perturbed about the 5 shot magazine capacity as the military version can hold 7.

I have searched and found a magazine extender. HOWEVER, I also found out why Benelli artificially limited the magazine capacity to 5. It seems that because it contains imported parts (duh, from Italy), it violates an import ban unless the magazine is limited to 5. And because of ATF regulation 922r, I cannot legally add the extender because it has too many imported parts.

Here are some threads that explain it in more detail.

Benelli M4 & 922R

ATF Response to Legality of Full Length Mag Tube on Benelli M4

The gun is still NIB and I am seriously considering selling it because of this limitation. Had I known about this beforehand, I don't think I would have purchased this firearm. The other option is to keep it and just use/enjoy it with 5 rounds in the magazine. Ugh.
    There is a company in Mexifornia* that makes a kit to get the M4 into compliance as they have all three part need to add the 7 round tube extender? Let me look at my shot show stuff and I'll post the name of the company.

* before anyone sez a word, read the book Mexifornia a State Becoming! available on amazon!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Here is some info a Range Safety Officer put together to help with installing the three components and his notes to me:

Here is the PDF I put together to assist in replacing the Full Length Magazine Tube. Very easy process. Also, when changing out the Hammer, you might want to order the Corning External Grip Rings. These are stronger than the Benelli originals. If you donít order these, then be very careful NOT to over stretch the Grip Ring, for its very easy to damage.

These two additional components should get you in compliance with 922R.

I'll upload the magazine tube pdf after the break.

Got all three now!
    Last edited by onacoma; November 11th, 2012 at 03:15 PM.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

Here is a source for U.S. made Benelli M4 parts

http://freedomfightertactical.com/products-page/m4

Buy them while you can.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I had a Bulgarian AK once (had original trigger group) ... With a Magpul/US made magazine in it = compliant. Steel Eastern Block Mag in it = non-compliant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links