Battle of Tactical .22LRs - Page 3

Battle of Tactical .22LRs

This is a discussion on Battle of Tactical .22LRs within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by MoResident Ok, I have a question. When they go from .22 to .223, why does the price triple? The manufacturing cost has ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Battle of Tactical .22LRs

Quote Originally Posted by MoResident View Post
    Ok, I have a question. When they go from .22 to .223, why does the price triple? The manufacturing cost has to be approximately the same...
    If you're referring the the likes of the Colt/Umarex and the S&W, the manufacturing costs are quite different. The receivers are plastic in the .22s and that wouldn't hold up to .223, at least not the upper receiver. The blowback operating system is simpler with fewer parts. And they're not built to take the same punishment.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

Quote Originally Posted by MoResident View Post
    Ok, I have a question. When they go from .22 to .223, why does the price triple? The manufacturing cost has to be approximately the same...
    Pricing for every product and service is based on what the offeror believes the market will bear.

It has been this way since forever.

Other considerations inclusive such as design, material and production costs, the bottom line is that only a small minority of persons will pay .223 dollars for a gun as chambered in .22.
    Oppositely a gun chambered in .223 could be produced at .22 dollar value but the resulting product quality would suffer.

Have someone, anyone, though mention publicly that either .22 or .223 gun is thought to be 'banned' and quicker than you can say PROFIT!, the prices for either and both have and would increase.

:|

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    The only disadvantage is it lacks a flash hider (mostly for looks).
    I have threaded several already. Some people like the Smith better than the Colt but they dont like the fact that it does not have a threaded barrel.

I built a mandrel so that I can take the top half off,set it up and thread it in the lathe, 1/2-28 threads to fit the standard flashider.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I avoided the whole Colt vs. S&W boondoggle and just built my own .22 AR rifle. Spikes Tactical has everything you need or want to build any AR platform rifle in any caliber. It is a real AR, not just a look-a-like masquerading as one. If I want to stick a different upper on it I can turn it into a 5.56 or 6.8 in about 1 minute. It is a little costlier but worth every penny.

Mrs. Santa ordered me a Wilson Combat TTU drop-in trigger and a new Mueller Scope so on Dec 26th it'll look a little different.

Here is a photo of my rifle. I spec'd it with a Lothar-Walther match barrel and Magpul furniture. I love this rifle.

My newest acquisition :

S&W M&P 15/22

I've been wanting a plinker, I also wanted to get something I could pass on to my daughter when she gets older, and after some time holding and checking up information, I decided to go with the smith. I put $150 down on it, and will pick it up before the end of next month (luck withstanding.)

Today was a good day. 
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    My newest acquisition :

S&W M&P 15/22

I've been wanting a plinker, I also wanted to get something I could pass on to my daughter when she gets older, and after some time holding and checking up information, I decided to go with the smith. I put $150 down on it, and will pick it up before the end of next month (luck withstanding.)

Today was a good day. 
    Picked mine up on Friday. It was fun shooting, just need to get use to the sites.

anyone have an idea about the cost of extra magazines are for the M&P 22?
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    I found some on gunbroker.com that have been pinned to 10 rounds. $28.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    You can get them for $17.96 per unit from Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 25rd Magazine. I picked up 8 direct from S&W last week when they were running a sale. However sale is off so cheapest right now that I can find is Botach Tactical.
    To all you current and former military ... thank you for your service! Let no one forget that the sacrifices you have made allow us the freedoms we enjoy.

I bought a S&W's last August for $450 (includes tax) and love it. The only real complaint I've had is the difficulty in finding mags for it. I ordered two magazines for my 15-22 from S&W in September and FINALLY got the notice a few days ago my order had been shipped from the factory.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Anybody try a SIG 522 yet? How much are they going for and can you get higher capacity mags for them then the S&W?

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Anybody try a SIG 522 yet? How much are they going for and can you get higher capacity mags for them then the S&W?
    Has it been released yet? Last I heard it was still in firearms limbo...
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Has it been released yet? Last I heard it was still in firearms limbo...
    Thanks, I thought it was close to being out, if not out already. Any idea of the timeframe and an approximate street cost?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links