Help me picking up a trap shotgun

This is a discussion on Help me picking up a trap shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Would like to get into some trap and skeet.Need help picking up a gun.My budget is around 1K (LOL) I really like the Over and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would like to get into some trap and skeet.Need help picking up a gun.My budget is around 1K (LOL) I really like the Over and Under.

First decide on an action. Do you want a double, pump, or semi? Are you only using it for fun, or will you be hunting too? I hunt with a pump, so naturally that's what I shoot clays with. Most people use O/U's, and they are nice but more pricey.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Administrator
    If it were me just getting into the shotgun sports, I'd buy an 1100. Its been around forever and is highly respected in both sports. Parts and accessories are cheap, and there is a tough of help out there should you need it.

I'm shooting a 391 right now, and I really like it. However, its a lot more expensive to have a do it all with one gun with the euro guns.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I keep score for trap shooters at my gun club. The one thing I've found is that they love to talk about their shotguns as much as they love to shoot. My advice is to go to a trap field and haunt the place for a couple of days. Ask the folks there what you should get. Someone may even know of a great used gun in your price range. By great I mean a well kept used gun worth twice what you would get buying new.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

For trap, you only load one shell at a time, so any shotgun will do - I use my 870 with a 26" barrel.

For skeet, you need to fire two quick shots. A pump is at a disadvantage here. A semi-auto or a double would be better.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

rem 1100 is a great choice, its a semi auto and its what i always have used.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    For trap, you only load one shell at a time, so any shotgun will do - I use my 870 with a 26" barrel.

For skeet, you need to fire two quick shots. A pump is at a disadvantage here. A semi-auto or a double would be better.
    Just for the record, there are trap doubles as well. Not sure if the OP has any interest in that, but it is an option.

Personally I've been shooting a Beretta 391 Urika Sporting for the past few years. I've been happy with it. Generally a semi-auto will give you some recoil reduction.

The advantage of an O/U is that you can run 2 different chokes. You can put a tighter choke for the second shot in doubles which will typically be a longer shot.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired in View Post
    Would like to get into some trap and skeet.Need help picking up a gun.My budget is around 1K (LOL) I really like the Over and Under.
    You can get a used Beretta or Browning for 1K. New, I don't think so. A basic Citori NIB will set you back between $1200 - $1400 depending on model and options.

Most trap shooters tend to like longer barrels, and some skeet shooters like them shorter. It is really a preference thing. I shoot primarly with 26" barrels. A lot of other shoots think my gun is "short." :)

A Remington 1100 is a good gun, and you can get one for around/under $900. That was good advice from several folks in the thread.

For singles in trap, a BT-99 Browning with 32-34 inch barrel is hard to beat. I shot competition from the 27 yard line for years. For doubles an O/U is needed. Skeet is a different story. An O/U with 26" is the way to go. I shot all 4 gauges in skeet for a couple of years. Personally I much prefer trap (and the trapshooters) over skeet (and the skeetshooters). When I added up the money I blew out the end of a gun barrel in components in a year, I quit. In today's dollars it would exceed 15K.
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If it were me just getting into the shotgun sports, I'd buy an 1100. Its been around forever and is highly respected in both sports. Parts and accessories are cheap, and there is a tough of help out there should you need it.
    +1 on the 1100 or 11-87. It's my primary shotgun and has been since the early eighties.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

I'm shooting a 391 right now, and I really like it. However, its a lot more expensive to have a do it all with one gun with the euro guns.
    +1 ...very nice all around auto shottie.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    If you're not heavily built I would definitely recommend the Rem. 1100. A lot less kick, but not as much fun as an 870. But for 1000 bucks you can probably have both. Remember, it's how you shoot, more often than what you shoot.

Thumbs up Help me picking a trap shotgun

Many thanks for all of the responses.After I make my choice will post a picture of the one that I picked up

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired in View Post
    Many thanks for all of the responses.After I make my choice will post a picture of the one that I picked up
    Please do, there are a few shotgun guys around here.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I am a budding shotgun enthusiast as well with no budget for it...LOL we will anxiuosly await your pictures.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links