30-06 Heavy Barrell

30-06 Heavy Barrell

This is a discussion on 30-06 Heavy Barrell within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anybody own one and can provide feedback? I am currently looking at Savage, but would like to purchase one already bedded in a kevlar tactical ...

Thread: 30-06 Heavy Barrell

30-06 Heavy Barrell

Anybody own one and can provide feedback? I am currently looking at Savage, but would like to purchase one already bedded in a kevlar tactical type stock. I don't want to go with the typical .223, .308, .300 Win Mag, etc. that most manufactures offer in their tactical packages right out of the box. Money is not really an issue.

Oh, and pics please!

Thanks!

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

I guess it all depends on your funds. Seldom hear of a 30-06 heavy barrel or tactical. Check with Aurora Tactical. I'm sure they'll know what's out there, or they could build you one.
    Aurora Tactical :: About Aurora Tactical

Senior Moderator
    Funny you should mention that.

I have a .308, .300WinMag and a .300 Whisper.
    I am considering building a .30-06 with heave barrel just to match the rest.

I plan on rebarrelling a .270 Rem.700 and chambering a Shilen Match grade barrel for it. It will be put in an HS Precision stock, which is what the others wear.

It's hard to buy a heavy barreled 06. Most of the heavy .30's are in the .308 caliber, one of the reasons that I am building one. The "tactical" rifles just aren't made in .30-06 anymore as the .308 is more efficient.

The HS Precision stock which is what most "tactical" stocks are, will run around $325.

I believe that you can buy a drop in for the Savage rifle, that might be the cheapest thing to do if you don't like the Savage stock.

I prefer Remingtons over Savages.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

look here

Sniper Central - Mel's Sniper Page
    in the for sale
    classifieds - rifles
    sniper central forums
    Guns dont kill people. people kill people
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Never seen a heavy barrelled 30-06 myself. Definitely my favorite "all around" caliber though and have a SS fluted 700 CDL which is seriously accurate. Seeing as how they are within a mile from home, if I was looking for a custom heavy barrelled 30-06, I would contact Briley.

Briley Manufacturing, shotgun choke manufacturer and shotgun chokes.

In fact they show a heavy barrelled 300 Ultra Mag on their web when you click on "Rifles". Their Custom Shop Rifle may be right up your alley. I've never had they do any work on my rifles but their work on my Berretta 686 Silver Pidgeon was impecable and reasonably priced also for custom work. You probably have some excellent gunsmiths locally but Briley might be someone to check with.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

never seen a heavy barrel 30-06. had a friend that used a heavy barrel savage in in 308 in long range rifle matches back in the 80's. it was one heck of a gun. he cut the barrel to 20 inches. it made it shoot better. it shot all most as good as my remington 700 bdl. i kept an 30-06 as the backup rifle for the team. but it was a normal remington 700. we used weaver t-scopes back in then. but, that is another story. so, the savage rifle is a good rifle.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member
    There is a reason 30-06 's in a heavy barrel are hard to find. While a 06 is a fine caliber, there are better choices to start with, and the manufactures have figured that out.

Kinda like buying a gas pick-up and doing alot of customizing to it trying to make it pull like a diesel, it can be done, but it is just more simple to buy the diesel.

With the longer 06 case, powder burn rate is not a uniform as a 308 case, the gun action is also a "long" action, so it is not as stiff as the short action 308 family.

If money is not object, you can have a great gun build in any caliber you want, sometimes it is just easier to start with a great caliber, than a good caliber for accuracy.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Senior Moderator
    Unless you have an abundance of '06 brass or bullets...the very reason I decided to build one.

If you have a good bolt action and want to make it even better, the heavy barrel isnt that expensive...certainley a lot cheaper to rebarrel than to buy a new gun.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

IMO, the Savage is underrated in many ways. Price isn't everything, and the Savage is relatively easy to smith yourself. I have a factory composite/kevlar stock for the Savage110 model (long action) heavy barrel just sittin' in the closet FYI.

Thanks for the info guys!

I am going to check out Brileys Manu.

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Sponsored Links