20ga 870 for home defense?

This is a discussion on 20ga 870 for home defense? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We already have a Remington 870 Express 20ga shotgun for the farm (20ga because my petite wife didn't like the kick on the 12ga; Express ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20ga 870 for home defense?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

20ga 870 for home defense?

We already have a Remington 870 Express 20ga shotgun for the farm (20ga because my petite wife didn't like the kick on the 12ga; Express because I hadn't read these forums before I bought it).

If one wanted to turn this into more of a home-defense weapon, what would one do to it? I'm thinking a flashlight would be in order, but don't know if it needs much more. Someone elsewhere said something about replacing a 'follower' (I don't know what that is, to tell the truth)... other suggestions? Best ammo?

And do folks have opinions about the shotgun rack that goes under one's mattress to hold a shotgun between mattress-side and covers?

How 'bout a shoulder holster?

(OK, just wanted to let you know I'm willing to take comments of "don't be ridiculous" if they're warranted.)

2. Remove Ads

An 18 1/2" barrel would be a good idea for HD. Makes it easier to move around your house. I also have a 115 lumen LED light attached to my 870. As far as ammo goes, 00 Buck is what I use.

I attached the flashlight with something similar to this.

http://www.tacticalshotgunaccessorie...lightmount.htm
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Well, you already have the gun, now get you and the little woman out to the range/woods and see just what that HD weapon can do.
    Set up some cardboard and let the wife practice so she can determine patterns at different distances.

Stay armed...practice...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    To make it an HD shotty, keep it in the house close by. I think it'll work as is although a light would be nice.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Load it with buckshot and keep it handy.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Federal TruFlight Slugs, Extended Mag Tube, Surefire front grip with Flashlight, Hi Viz front sight. 20 ga is a good choice for anyone.

20 Gauge only comes in #3 and #2 buckshot, however they are plenty enough for house defense.

20 gauge can reach out and touch with a full choke.

It has been said that 20 gauge will pattern tighter than 12 gauge.

My wife shoots a 20 gauge Mossburg 500 and I have grate respect for her and it.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    20 Gauge only comes in #3 and #2 buckshot, however they are plenty enough for house defense.

20 gauge can reach out and touch with a full choke.

It has been said that 20 gauge will pattern tighter than 12 gauge.

My wife shoots a 20 gauge Mossburg 500 and I have grate respect for her and it.
    Around here you can't find #2 or #3, only #4 which I have had poor results with. Every time I am in the gun stores I check.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

18.5" barrel, side saddle, magazine extension, barrel clamp, Light, night sights, speedfeed forend.
    heres mine, but in 12 gauge

You could do a heck of a lot worse than what you have!

This is great! I have a 20 ga Savage that hasn't been fired since the early 80's. ( I never get rid of anything and it makes my wife crazy) I was just wondering yesterday what to do with it. Thought I'd dust it off, clean it and see what it was worth.
    Now I have an idea to work with.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I'm having trouble finding the 18.5" barrel and mag tube for 20ga: anyone have suggestions?

That is a fine HD gun, the follower is in the magazine tube, they are cheaply made as stock. PM Ramrod he has pictures of one he replaced, but a shorter barrel and light is about all you will need and some good buckshot.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...defense-2.html

Check out this thread, I posted a question basically the same as yours a month or two ago, and am currently using my 870 20ga as my HD gun. I've decided to change out the front bead for a tritium one and possibly change the stock, but haven't been able to do either as of yet. I'll also be upgrading the mag follower, but these mods will have to wait until my work picks back up.

Brownel's lists a new mag extension for the 20. No picture yet and not a lot of info, though.
    REMINGTON : MAGAZINE EXTENSION KIT, 3-ROUND, BLUE

The follower is a drop in part, I have the red one in my 500 in 12 and 20. I think the factory model is crappy cheap plastic, no-brainer.
    BROWNELLS : Remington Follower, Alum, Red, 20 Ga. (080-000-166)

Good sights are always nice. IIRC 6-48 is the stock threads, unless you have a pedestal base but here are a few choices. Easy install.
    BRADLEY GUNSIGHT : SIGHT BEADS
    XS SIGHT SYSTEMS : SHOTGUN BIG DOT TRITIUM FRONT SIGHT
    HIVIZ : COMP SIGHT
    TRUGLO : SHOTGUN STARBRITE DELUXE SIGHT
    HIVIZ : SHOTGUN FIBER OPTIC SIGHT
    CARLSON'S : HIGH VISIBILITY SHOTGUN BEADS
    KIMBER : TRU-DOT DAY/NIGHT SHOTGUN BEAD

I'm assuming by your question that you have a long "hunting" barrel for it. The 18" is certainly easier to move with if your plans would involve moving around the house or grounds to check on kids or such. If your plans for the gun are just to stay in a safe location and guard an area or an entryway, and not move around, just keep the long barrel. It probably patterns better and gives better performance than the 18" cylinder bore barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links