Pistol Grip on HD Shotgun

This is a discussion on Pistol Grip on HD Shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am probably going to buy a Benelli Supernova Tactical for home defense. I have enjoyed the Nova I have without a pistol grip... do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Grip on HD Shotgun

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

I am probably going to buy a Benelli Supernova Tactical for home defense. I have enjoyed the Nova I have without a pistol grip... do you guys think I need to get one on the Supernova Tactical? What are the benefits, etc. of having one?

2. Remove Ads

If it has a shoulder stock, it can only aid in contorl of the shottie, without a shoulder stock it is not the best form of a shotgun. I like the shotties with a pistol grip/shoulder stock. They seem to be a little easier to meaneuver IMHO
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

It will absolutely have a shoulder stock. I personally like the non-pistol grip of the Nova/Supernova. I'm just trying to determine if there is something I am missing that the pistol grip does for a shooter.

It seems to me that the recoil absorption using a pistol grip is accomplished by the wrist, a complex joint with no significant mass behind it. That's gotta hurt, my vote is for a shoulder stock so you can point and fire the weapon effectively with little on no felt recoil. Just my .02

NRA Life member

GOA member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    It will absolutely have a shoulder stock. I personally like the non-pistol grip of the Nova/Supernova. I'm just trying to determine if there is something I am missing that the pistol grip does for a shooter.
    I think it is just what you prefer.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think it is just what you prefer.
    That's what I thought! Thanks guys.

I find that the pistol grip/shoulder stock combo gives me better control of the weapon while being able to keep my elbow in tighter to my body than with a plain old shoulder stock.

I have a plain pistol grip on one of my 20ga guns and love it. It makes the whole gun very short and maneuverable and the recoil is easy and controllable. I would not choose that setup on a 12ga gun though.

back in the 70's/80's i had a pistol grip on my work remingtion 870. what a pain when shooting it!!! later i put the remingtion factory folding stock back on it. the metal factory stock. kept it on for many mango seasons, but what a pain when shooting it, but better than the pistol grip. then i found a wooden stock. great, hard to beat, nice. should have done it years ago. then about two mango seasons ago i put on a m4 type six position stock with a pistol grip. better than slice bread and free beer. so, any stock is better than a pistol grip if you got to shoot the gun much and/or have to use it at work. remember you got to control the gun and a stock helps in this control. but the pistol grip looks "cool" on raids, but that's all....
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    IMHO, a pistol grip on a shotgun is purely to look cool. Better control with a shoulder fired weapon of that recoil. They are a waste of time and money.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

If you're talking about a shoulder stock with a pistol grip go for it. I recently put a speedfeed VI on my 870. It helps alot with controling the gun when you are useing your support hand for other things (reloading, opening doors. etc) Some folks say they feel recoil through it. I put rearward pressure on grip and havn't felt any recoil even with 3in buck and slugs.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    IMHO, a pistol grip on a shotgun is purely to look cool. Better control with a shoulder fired weapon of that recoil. They are a waste of time and money.
    Glad I asked... I know nothing about them & just assumed that they were better for some reason. I don't think they look cool, so I guess I'm not cool!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    Glad I asked... I know nothing about them & just assumed that they were better for some reason. I don't think they look cool, so I guess I'm not cool!
    I thought about this some more for you and the only real advantage I can think of is how you hold your elbow. You can keep it in tighter with the pistol grip thus making you a smaller target when rounding a corner to your strong side. That is it.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I have a Blackhawk adjustable stock on my 870. I really like the way you can hold it a "low ready" for lack of a better description. Pistol grip in hand, shotgun straight up and down. It lets you hold the weapon and keep the muzzle in a safe direction. Nearly impossible with a regular stock. Just something I noticed while messing around with it, but I really like the feel of it. My wife is small and the M4 style stock is easier for her to deal with, plus it's adjustable to a shorter length for her. She likes the pistol grip only look, but it's not practical for her.

I've had both pistol grip and regular stocks on my shotguns. I've converted a couple myself. In my opinion, pros and cons are equal for me on this. As stated previously.....personal preference. I'd rather have a pistol grip on a full length stock than just a pistol grip alone though.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    a standard stock is quicker to the shoulder and offers a great deal of control...i may be partial because i grew up hunting birds and a quick gun is paramount in that respect...just like any firearm you own if you spend some time with it you will learn how to handle it in any situation with great competance...my current choice is a straight stock 21" barrel 12 gauge that snaps to my cheek quickly (a great partridge gun)...it can be handled with one hand in any position and is small enough to be very maneuverable...

you need to spend time with the gun and get a good feel for it...dont just buy a cool looking hd gun and put it next to the bed...in tight quarters you can still miss your mark and buckshot doesnt offer a large pattern to count on...slugs dont always hit their mark either...spend time with it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links