Need help from the AR gurus!

This is a discussion on Need help from the AR gurus! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am wanting to swap the A2 gas block on my M&P15 with one that has a flip up front sight. I am curious as ...

Thread: Need help from the AR gurus!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Need help from the AR gurus!

I am wanting to swap the A2 gas block on my M&P15 with one that has a flip up front sight. I am curious as to how difficult this is and what tools I will need to do the job right without damaging anything. I mounted an EOtech 512 on it and I don't really like having the front sight in line with the red dot.

Thanks in advance!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

You need to remove the two pins that hold the front sight/gas block (they're tapered on most guns so only remove one direction), and the gas tube roll pin after removing the flash hider.

You'll need:

Action Block to hold your receiver in your vise
    A wrench for the FH
    A poly or wood block with holes in it to back your FH while you pound out the pins
    A set of short, high quality steel punches for the FH pins (brass, or long punches will bend, but will work fine for the gas tube roll-pin)
    A big hammer

IMO the barrel is the hardest part to install correctly for a newb, and an A2 gas block is the hardest part to remove.

ETA: You should check out ar15.com, they have a step by step assembly guide.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Brownells has an excellent free video series that details building an AR from the ground up. It's very informative, and I think it's a must-watch for any AR owner. Even if you aren't going to build one - it helps to see how they are put together!

Brownell’s Offers AR15 Assembly Videos Online AccurateShooter.com Bulletin
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Links