High velocity 12 gauge shells

This is a discussion on High velocity 12 gauge shells within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; would anyone recommend high velocity shotgun shells for home self defence? If not what would you recommend as far as quailty and low recoil? Thank ...

Thread: High velocity 12 gauge shells

would anyone recommend high velocity shotgun shells for home self defence? If not what would you recommend as far as quailty and low recoil? Thank you and happy new year to all

Low velocity is the way to go

You will see a lot of "low recoil" self defense 12 gauge loads. These are low recoil because of the laws of physics: the projectile is coming out of the barrel with less force, so the gun is recoiling with less force. These are the way to go with 12 gauge rounds. Save the high-velocity stuff for hunting, when trajectory matters. Average 12 gauge self-defense encounter for our department: 3.5 feet.

I have Winchester low recoil 00 buck in my shotty,In A Semi Auto I don't notice that much difference between them and regular 2 3/4" 00 buck
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have mine loaded up with some of the fed OO 2 3/4 shells. Supposed to keep a tighter group. Even with the short barreled HD shotgun. I would stay away from the slugs for HD since they can go through multiple walls.

Quote Originally Posted by lionassad View Post
    would anyone recommend high velocity shotgun shells for home self defence? If not what would you recommend as far as quailty and low recoil? Thank you and happy new year to all
    Nope. Look for the Federal and Hornady (and possibly other) low-recoil, "tactical" ammo - buck and slugs. And stay away from 3-inch shells for defense! Recoil is pretty rugged and there's no significant advantage on human targets.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I use Federal Low Recoil OO with the Flite Control wad.

Those jerks at Federal discontinued the civillian version, but it's still available in the LEO line. Regular angry emails sent.

It cycles my Benelli semi-auto and feels fine to shoot in everything. The patterns are amazing.

What benefit do you think/suppose a high(er) velocity shot would provide as benefit for use toward a close distance human sized slow moving target?

A far off distance (10+ yds away) fast moving rabbit or bird on the wing is a totally different type of target as well as targeting and shooting to score skill set and usage paradigm.

High(er) velocity and high(er) density (3 and 3.5 inch shell) projectiles makes purposeful sense for hitting targets as of the latter.
    Not so much as toward the former though when the range is measured in ranges 15' and less against a target on average 5'10" tall by 36 to 48" wide and moving a best human running speed which is as compared to any of the latter iceberg movement slow.

This sort of question falls under the more common birdshot is for bird use advisory.
    As noted by others above there is no good need to suffer the energy penalty as felt by the shooter with using high(er) velocity or high(er) density shells as for specifically combat use. Not when the trade off is quicker ability to score multiple hits on target and with increased accuracy due to less muzzle jump AND shooter felt accuracy eroding recoil.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I use Federal Low Recoil OO with the Flite Control wad.

Those jerks at Federal discontinued the civillian version, but it's still available in the LEO line. Regular angry emails sent.

It cycles my Benelli semi-auto and feels fine to shoot in everything. The patterns are amazing.
    That's what I have. They're the leo line, picked up a box at a gun show.

A friend of mine has a few cases of 12 gauge slug ammo, but they are shorter than regular shells. I don't remember the brand, but I imagine that they may work for self defense.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    What benefit do you think/suppose a high(er) velocity shot would provide as benefit for use toward a close distance human sized slow moving target?
    Much more sporting to use standard velocity, and work on leading them just a little more...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

no to the high velocity and the slugs both will do the job yes but risk is to high for them to over penetrate and hit/destroy othe things get a nice buck shot and it will work just as good at 5-10 feet with 00 buck the BG wont get up

Links