Keeping Shottie Loaded?

Keeping Shottie Loaded?

This is a discussion on Keeping Shottie Loaded? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After a recent incident at my house I decided to purchase my first ever shotgun and was wondering what the consensus on keeping the mag ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Shottie Loaded?

Question Keeping Shottie Loaded?

After a recent incident at my house I decided to purchase my first ever shotgun and was wondering what the consensus on keeping the mag tube loaded all the time was? Won't this create excessive wear and tear on the spring? I'm not worried about the cost of replacing a spring but I am worried about the spring failing when I might need it most.

Right now I'm keeping the shottie within arms reach and I have a full saddle on the stock. However, the more I read here the more I question my decision to keep the mag tube unloaded.

On a side note: I gathered the family together recently and went over scenarios in the event someone tries to get in the house / gets in the house in the future. Everyone was given their responsibilities and now knows the game-plan.

Springs wear out when cycled, not when left compressed or relaxed. Keep it loaded, otherwise you have an expensive club. Of course, keep it locked up if kids are present in the home.

Of course you can keep it loaded. How would people have used unloaded guns all these years?
    And, it's a shotgun, not a "shottie."

I agree....keep the mag on my 870 loaded to full capacity with 2 3/4". I also keep a spare mag spring.

I keep my FN TPS loaded one down in the mag and chamber empty. That way I can pop a slug in if warranted.

Keep it loaded.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

i keep mine with 6 in the tube, none in the chamber. it sits next to my bed, but i also dont have to worry about kids in the house.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
    Of course you can keep it loaded. How would people have used unloaded guns all these years?
    And, it's a shotgun, not a "shottie."
    I was going to let the "shottie" thing slide, but MAN that just gets under my skin!

Ok, I feel better, back on topic:

Yes, you can keep it loaded!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Keep it loaded, away from the kids (if any), locked up when your not home, and close by when you are. That spring will be just fine.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Springs are cheap and don't wear out from compression. They wear from cycling. The last thing on earth you want is to need to use fine motor skills like loading the mag in your 870 with a BG in the house. That needs to be done, because you won't HAVE any fine motor skills at the time. The gross motor skills to pump the action will be there but that's about it.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

The last thing you want to be doing is trying to load shells in your shotgun while an intruder is in your house.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    As has been said, keep it loaded.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

You can call your Scattergun a Shottie if you want to. I don't care what it's called as long as you know how to use it and if it were pointed at me I'd just call you Sir. Keep it Cruiser Safe, Mag loaded, Chamber empty. I like Tactical Buck for the house and Slugs for general application i.e. hunting, patrol. If you are really concerned with penetration of building materials use Turkey Loads, #2, BB, or #4 High Brass. I'm an Instructor not a cop BTW. And this is not "Instruction".

My coach gun is just inside the safe. There are five shells on the stock, and two shells sitting on a ledge above...when I pull out the coach gun I can load the two 'sitting shells' in an instant, but I do not keep the shells in the coach gun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for all the replies! Never realized "shottie" was a bad term. I've always heard them referenced this way along with "scattergun" etc. Looks like the consensus is to keep the tube loaded and chamber empty and that's what I'm going to start doing.

Eventually, when $$$ and time permit I plan on getting my CHL and a pistol for daily wear but for now the pump will have to do. I hope to never have to use it for SD but if the need arises I want to have the best odds of protecting my wife and kids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links