.204 Ruger?

This is a discussion on .204 Ruger? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking for a new chuck rifle and I like the Savage Model: 16 FSS in .204 Ruger. Any members shooting .204 Ruger? What ...

Thread: .204 Ruger?

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

.204 Ruger?

I am looking for a new chuck rifle and I like the Savage Model: 16 FSS in .204 Ruger. Any members shooting .204 Ruger? What are your thoughts? How does it compare to the 22-250?

2. Remove Ads

Both chamberings are accurate, but getting .204 ammo is harder. 22-250 ammo is on the shelf at WalMart, .204 is not!
    Twin 1893 Colt New Army DA Revolvers .41 Long Colt
    Twin 1951 Ruger Black Label Mark I Target Pistols .22
    1964 7 3/8" - 8 7/8" S&W Model 41 US Olympic Target Pistol .22
    1968 2 1/2" - 6" Dan Wesson Model 12 .357
    1990 S&W Performance Center Model 4006
    1992 13 5/8" Phelps Heritage .45-70

I have heard it is a very flat shooting round, but like 2 Gunz says ammois a little more difficult to find everywhere.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Now you're talking. The .204 is a phenomenal cartridge. While your local Wal-Mart may not have ammo on the shelf, ammo is not hard to find. My Ruger #1 in .204:

loves the Hornady 32 gr. V-Max factory ammo. I usually buy it from Mid-South Shooters Supply as they usually have it in stock and have the best price I've found anywhere. From the bench, this rifle will shoot sub 1/2", 3-shot groups.

I love shooting the .204 so much that before our last PD trip in September, I bought another one. Bought a Remington 700 VS SF II:
    I'm handloading for this rifle using a 32 gr. Nosler ballistic tip bullet. My load for this rifle shoots 5-shot groups into 5/8".

This cartridge in a good rifle is capable of amazing accuracy and it's effects on a PD are devastating. Hornady advertises their factory 32 gr. ammo at 4225 fps. My chronograph runs from multiple rifles puts it at just over 4100 fps. My handloads easily make 4000+ fps. I've found the 32 grain bullets to be the best choice for this cartridge. If you want to shoot 40 grain or heavier bullets, I believe you are better served by a 223 or 22-250. One of the biggest advantages of the .204 is that there is so little recoil that with a heavy barreled rifle, you see your hits. No recoil pulling you off target.

I like this cartridge so much that for our PD hunt in June, I talked my Son into buying a 700 Remington in .204 and I just bought my Grandson a Savage Model 12 FV in .204 for Christmas for him to use on our shoot next June.

If you have any questions that I may be able to answer, fire away.

PS -- forgot to mention about your rifle choice. I would strongly suggest moving up to one of the varmint weight barrels. I've never been chuck shooting so don't know if it can get as fast and furious as PD shooting, but if it does, you'll be glad you have the heavy weight barrel.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Now you're talking. The .204 is a phenomenal cartridge. While your local Wal-Mart may not have ammo on the shelf, ammo is not hard to find. My Ruger #1 in .204:

loves the Hornady 32 gr. V-Max factory ammo. I usually buy it from Mid-South Shooters Supply as they usually have it in stock and have the best price I've found anywhere. From the bench, this rifle will shoot sub 1/2", 3-shot groups.

I love shooting the .204 so much that before our last PD trip in September, I bought another one. Bought a Remington 700 VS SF II:
    I'm handloading for this rifle using a 32 gr. Nosler ballistic tip bullet. My load for this rifle shoots 5-shot groups into 5/8".

This cartridge in a good rifle is capable of amazing accuracy and it's effects on a PD are devastating. Hornady advertises their factory 32 gr. ammo at 4225 fps. My chronograph runs from multiple rifles puts it at just over 4100 fps. My handloads easily make 4000+ fps. I've found the 32 grain bullets to be the best choice for this cartridge. If you want to shoot 40 grain or heavier bullets, I believe you are better served by a 223 or 22-250. One of the biggest advantages of the .204 is that there is so little recoil that with a heavy barreled rifle, you see your hits. No recoil pulling you off target.

I like this cartridge so much that for our PD hunt in June, I talked my Son into buying a 700 Remington in .204 and I just bought my Grandson a Savage Model 12 FV in .204 for Christmas for him to use on our shoot next June.

If you have any questions that I may be able to answer, fire away.

PS -- forgot to mention about your rifle choice. I would strongly suggest moving up to one of the varmint weight barrels. I've never been chuck shooting so don't know if it can get as fast and furious as PD shooting, but if it does, you'll be glad you have the heavy weight barrel.

Hoss
    I am going to visit my FFL today to pay my balance and get myself down to $0 at which point I usually order something nice for myself. I have been eyeballing this Ruger and the S&W CS9 pistol. I would like the heavy barrel but finances dictate this purchase. I will keep you posted. As always, I appreciate your thoughtful commentary.

Senior Moderator
    I'm thinking of rebarrelling a Remington to one.

Whats the best twist rate for the 40 grainer?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I'm thinking of rebarrelling a Remington to one.

Whats the best twist rate for the 40 grainer?
    Virtually all factory barrels are 1/12. The following are the offered twist rates and recommendations from Shilen:
    .204/20
    - 9" for VLD bullets
    - 10" for all bullets
    - 12" for all bullets

If I were building a .204 specifically to shoot 40 gr. bullets, I'd probably opt for the 1/10 twist though I'd call and talk with Shilen first. Of the 5 rifles I have personal experience with, 4 of them shoot best with the 32 gr. bullets. The one other, the guy likes the 40 gr. but he is driving them with such a large powder charge to achieve his accuracy that with only about 1000 rounds fired, he thinks his barrel is shot out. My Ruger #1 has almost 4000 rounds fired and shoots as good today as it did new. I really think this cartridge excels with the 32 gr. bullet. With the 40s and above, about the only thing you gain over a 223 is a little better ballistic coefficient on the bullets.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    I am going to visit my FFL today to pay my balance and get myself down to $0 at which point I usually order something nice for myself. I have been eyeballing this Ruger and the S&W CS9 pistol. I would like the heavy barrel but finances dictate this purchase. I will keep you posted. As always, I appreciate your thoughtful commentary.
    Not sure what price your getting, but this is the one I just bought my grandson. I would have pointed you to the place I bought from, but they have jumped their price over $100.00 since I bought about a month ago (on Nov. 16th, I bought at $493.87. Their current price is $605.26). I know this gun isn't stainless, but for PD hunting, I'd trade stainless for the heavy barrel. As you can see, the blued heavy barrel is actually a bit less than the stainless sporter barrel. Again, since I've never been chuck shooting, you'll have to decide which is the more important asset for that type of hunting -- stainless or heavy barrel.

If you get one, email me and I can send you some loads that have worked well in the rifles I have access to and maybe save you some experimenting time. Also, especially if you get a Savage, you might want to try some of the Mid-South Varmint Nightmare bullets. Couldn't make them shoot out of my Remington but they shoot 1/2" groups out of my buddy's Savage. If they shoot for you, the price of $39.95/500 beats the heck out of the Hornady V-Max at $33.96/250, the Sierra at $86.65/500 or the Nosler (that my Remington had to like) at $35.70/250.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have a CZ 452 American with a bull barrel chambered in .204 and LOVE it. I just shot a bobcat I called in this morning. I've shot a 22-250 but don't have one so I'm not a good person to compare although my friend who owns it thinks it tears things up at closer ranges.

I shot my Bobcat under 30 yards this morning and it's always the same, a very very tiny little hole and no exit wound. It drops them dead still in their tracks. I bought it for my coyote gun but I think it would be good for chucks. What I like is how flat the trajectory is. Out to 275 yards you're talking a few inches either way which helps.

I personally love the CZ452 American. It's super accurate and I like the detachable box magazine and it has a set trigger.

My local Walmart carry's winchester .204 rounds and always has them. I prefer Hornady. Ammo isn't cheap and not as available as 22-250. I would recommend you consider reloading if you're going to shoot it alot.

I wrangled over what caliber to get and narrowed it down to the .17 rem and the .204. I believe they have the best balance of flat, long, fast, and little to no fur damage. I think the 22.250 will always be the gold standard but I think I like the ballistics and how a .204 feels when you shoot it.

Can't really go wrong with either.
    Gideon

Links