Marry Christmas Honey~~~~Part II

This is a discussion on Marry Christmas Honey~~~~Part II within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So my lovely wife gave me a Stoeger double defense for Christmas with a Barska "holo-sight" in 12 ga. Stoeger Double Defense But I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marry Christmas Honey~~~~Part II

Marry Christmas Honey~~~~Part II

So my lovely wife gave me a Stoeger double defense for Christmas with a Barska "holo-sight" in 12 ga.

Stoeger Double Defense

But I have a couple questions?

1) do you grease the joint/hinge or oil it?

2) How do you maintain a Matte/Flatt finish on the barrel? I never had a matte finish before and I ain't sure how to clean/oil/polish this particular type surface.

3) The ejector? oil? or grease? or nothing?

4) at what range do you sight-in a 20" defensive shotgun? I'm thinking 20-25 yards, but I might try it out to 50 yards?

5) The barrel says it's designed for 3" 12ga but I have a boat load of 2¾" bullets, can assume they will work just fine?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get this thing to the range and start to blow stuff up
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I don't have personal experiance with that particular shotgun, however I have always greased the break-actions (Hinges) I have ever had/used. My peference has been towards lithium grease, but YMMV.

Smaller shells should work fine in the shotgun.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Thanx for the response, I have lithium grease so I'll put a little dab in there and see how it works.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Just be careful calling them 12 ga bullets...the purists here will be all over you. LOL They are "shells".
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Just be careful calling them 12 ga bullets...the purists here will be all over you. LOL They are "shells".

ya, I was debating that, but I always thought a "shell" came out of a howitzer or the business end of a 16" cannon on "Big Mo"
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Congrats!

1) Either or, your choice, I like grease. As mentioned white lithium works well.

2) Clean it as normal. Sometimes when wiping down a matte finish with a white cloth or towel, it will leave a white lint. Use a black t-shirt as a cleaning rag and you won't see it. It is safe for any commercial gun cleaning products.

3) Just a little oil. Too much will collect dirt and jam up the mechanism.

4) Is your house 50 yards long? With the shells you end up choosing, pattern the the gun at 5 yards, 10 yards and 15 yards and the sight it in for point-of-aim -> point-of-impact at 10 yards. Depending on what you choose for ammo, even at 15 yards, you won;t be getting a large spread yet; it will probably be about chest size. Realistically, you would not expect to use that particular fire arm in any other situation than home defense. So think about the distance from your bedroom to the end of the hall, stairs to the door, etc. and consider that when thinking about distance.

5) If it is stamped for 3" shells, you can use anything 3" or less which would include 2-1/2, 2-9/16, and the most common 2-3/4. All of which are safe. While 3-1/2" shells may physically fit in the chamber, it is not safe to use in your gun. Also consider that changing the shell length will have some (though not much) effect on your pattern as well, but should not affect your POA-POI.

Quote Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
    Congrats!

1) Either or, your choice, I like grease. As mentioned white lithium works well.

2) Clean it as normal. Sometimes when wiping down a matte finish with a white cloth or towel, it will leave a white lint. Use a black t-shirt as a cleaning rag and you won't see it. It is safe for any commercial gun cleaning products.

3) Just a little oil. Too much will collect dirt and jam up the mechanism.

4) Is your house 50 yards long? With the shells you end up choosing, pattern the the gun at 5 yards, 10 yards and 15 yards and the sight it in for point-of-aim -> point-of-impact at 10 yards. Depending on what you choose for ammo, even at 15 yards, you won;t be getting a large spread yet; it will probably be about chest size. Realistically, you would not expect to use that particular fire arm in any other situation than home defense. So think about the distance from your bedroom to the end of the hall, stairs to the door, etc. and consider that when thinking about distance.

5) If it is stamped for 3" shells, you can use anything 3" or less which would include 2-1/2, 2-9/16, and the most common 2-3/4. All of which are safe. While 3-1/2" shells may physically fit in the chamber, it is not safe to use in your gun. Also consider that changing the shell length will have some (though not much) effect on your pattern as well, but should not affect your POA-POI.
    Thank you very much for your response, I went with oil and that seems to work well. I'm going out Saturday to the range and scope this thing out to 20 yards, which is the length of my house. I figure if the BG is in the driveway, thats close enough
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Just make your your state agrees with you on that.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    Just make your your state agrees with you on that.
    hey this is NY, we just had a case were a guy went out and confronted 3 "kids" breaking into cars and shot one dead..........they arrested him on 1st degree manslaughter.......jury trial.........NOT GUILTY
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    But I have a couple questions?

1) grease the joint/hinge or oil it?
    2) maintain a Matte/Flatt finish on the barrel?
    3) The ejector? oil? or grease? or nothing?
    4) what range do you sight-in a 20" defensive shotgun? I'm thinking 20-25 yards, but I might try it out to 50 yards?
    5) The barrel says it's designed for 3" 12ga but I have a boat load of 2¾" bullets, can assume they will work just fine?
    I have the Stoeger Supreme single trigger and love it. It shoots great.

1) I use oil, but you can use grease.. but I wouldn't overdo it.

2) Clean it like any other finish.

3) It doesn’t have ejectors, these are extractors. There is a difference. Oil ONLY, lightly with no access.

4) As an SD weapon , surely you won’t be shooting anything at 25 yrds, but that’s a good distance to use. There's not much to 'sighting' one. It will hit everything within 6 ft + of where you are pointing it at 25 yds unless you are use 00 or a slug.

5) It will shoot 2 ¾” or 3” shells, either one.

I don't know if yours does, but mine uses screw in chokes. Some chokes don't like slugs used in them, so you might check that out with Stoeger before doing it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    ya, I was debating that, but I always thought a "shell" came out of a howitzer or the business end of a 16" cannon on "Big Mo"
    If it helps you can think of it as a home defense cannon.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

thanx for the replies.

I took it to the range Yesterday. I sighted it in at 25 yards. For the price ($60) The Barska is pretty decent sight. I ran 20 rounds of 2¾" slugs through it and got it down to a 3" group. I also ran 6 rounds of *00* buck through it, I pasted all 9 pellets in a 10" target at 25 yards.

For a 20" barrel (no choke tubes) I figure I'm right in the ball park.

But I'm not use to shooting a SxS shotgun. Shooting 26 rounds in 20 minutes put a whooping on me, I got to tell ya, my shoulder is killing me this morning Bench shooting sux

I believe I will be looking for a better recoil pad, I really like shooting this gun and it attracts a lot of attention at the range. I spent half my time on the line telling people about the weapon A lot of people thought it was very cool the weapon came with Picatinny rails, but of course that means I need to go buy a flash light for it
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If it helps you can think of it as a home defense cannon.

works for me
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

VIP Member
    For the record no recoild pad is going to make your gun feel better. Just take joy in the fact that even though it is kicking the poo out of you during practice it will be worse for the bad guy if you ever really have to use it. After sighting in with the good stuff you can buy cheaper and less powerful rounds to practice with. #7 game load is much easier on the shoulder.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    For the record no recoild pad is going to make your gun feel better. Just take joy in the fact that even though it is kicking the poo out of you during practice it will be worse for the bad guy if you ever really have to use it. After sighting in with the good stuff you can buy cheaper and less powerful rounds to practice with. #7 game load is much easier on the shoulder.
    well, maybe I'll duct tape a pillow to the butt

I have a bunch of left over bird shot (which needs to be used up) so I'll just use that for a while.

I have some USPSA targets I can park 10 yards in front of me and practice shooting from the hip, that should be interesting
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links