2 questions about Marlin lever guns....

This is a discussion on 2 questions about Marlin lever guns.... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have two questions about Marlin lever action rifles. I've always dreamed of owning an 1894C in .357. Had a chance to hold one in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 questions about Marlin lever guns....

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

2 questions about Marlin lever guns....

I have two questions about Marlin lever action rifles. I've always dreamed of owning an 1894C in .357. Had a chance to hold one in stainless and I wanted to talk myself into it but I guess I just really want a blued one.

Anyway, I noticed a white and black circular mark just ahead of the rear sling stud. It's an intential mark. Looks like a white circle with a smaller black circle. It looks like it marks where you would put a sling swivel but it has a sling stud installed about an inch or to further to the rear of the stock. I look at other Marlin guns and noticed the same thing and in picutures of 1894C's on gunbroker etc.

Anyone have any idea what this is all about?

Secondly, the only way I could imagine having a stainless version of the 1894C would be to have it with an all black synthetic stock. Anyone know if those are available and from where? I can't seem to locate one?

Thanks!
    Gideon

2. Remove Ads

The round circular mark is the Marlin "bullseye" which appears on all Marlin rifles. Strictly non-functional, but I'm sure there's some interesting history behind it.

To the best of my knowledge, centerfire Marlin lever guns have never been available with synthetic stocks, but they are available on the aftermarket. Ram-Line is one source. But don't overlook the utility of a good sealer on the wood "furniture" for durability's sake.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The round circular mark is the Marlin "bullseye" which appears on all Marlin rifles. Strictly non-functional, but I'm sure there's some interesting history behind it.

To the best of my knowledge, centerfire Marlin lever guns have never been available with synthetic stocks, but they are available on the aftermarket. Ram-Line is one source. But don't overlook the utility of a good sealer on the wood "furniture" for durability's sake.
    +1
    Thats right
    Led By Love Of Country

You can always paint or rubberize the wood stocks too.

For me, the only 2 options are blue and dark wood (walnut if I can get my hand on it) or SS with laminate (preferably grey). I really don't like syn stocks.

Thanks for the replies! Odd place to put a funny kind of mark!
    Gideon

I bought a Marlin .357 Magnum lever action carbine rifle this past year and it is an awesome rifle. Mine is blued with wood stock. They make LeveRevolution 357 rounds specially designed with a plastic tip in the hollowpoint to cushion the primers in the tube. It also shoots 38 special rounds as well. Fun to shoot either 357 or 38 rounds and is compatible with my Ruger 357 Revolver and 38 Snubbies. The Marlin bullseye is a neat trademark design.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I absolutely love my Marlin 336SS (stainless)...what a great gun...mine is in 30-30...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ah, yes, I really want a Marlin 1894C in .357 too. Have been wanting one since I shot one 15 years ago. About time I go out and scratch that itch...
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Well they aren't easy to get. I tried HARD to like the stainless model I held the other day but I just don't like to mix wood, stainless and black components. the sights on the stainless model are all black so you have three colors going on.

I've already found the scope I want to use so I'm going to hold out for an all blue version. I know it's sacrilige to put a scope on this gun buy my aging eyes demand it. I'm going to put a Nikon Prostaff 2-7 x 32 shotgun scope. It's really super compact but gives you good magnification for out to 100 yards. I think it's the right sized scope for a gun of this size/configuration.

They are sweet but I'm going to hold out for exactly what I want because I know it'll be in my family for a very long time.

And then I'll have to be a Ruger blackhawk in .357 to go along with it!!

My 1894c .44 mag is my favorite "Hog" rifle.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

The Stainless looks good on the newer Laminated wood stocks I do have to say.

Not sure they put that on many models though and do not see one on any of the Pistol Caliber models. I imagine one could be fitted though

Since I have a Ruger Redhawk in .44 magnum I have developed a hankering for one in that caliber

From Marlin's web site:
    12. What is the small round black and white dot on the bottom of my Marlin stock?

This is the Marlin "Bullseye". This trademark has been used since 1922 on all Marlin walnut buttstocks. Please note that this is not a suitable place to install a swivel for you firearm. Swivels should be mounted approximately 2 inches from the toe of the butt.
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I've already found the scope I want to use so I'm going to hold out for an all blue version. I know it's sacrilige to put a scope on this gun buy my aging eyes demand it. I'm going to put a Nikon Prostaff 2-7 x 32 shotgun scope. It's really super compact but gives you good magnification for out to 100 yards. I think it's the right sized scope for a gun of this size/configuration.

They are sweet but I'm going to hold out for exactly what I want because I know it'll be in my family for a very long time.
    Gideon, you might give some thought to a receiver (peep) rear sight on that Marlin. Williams, Skinner and Lyman all make good peep sights for Marlins; check the links I've enclosed. I suffer from the aging-eye thing, too, but I was impressed how well I could do with an aperture rear sight on a 10/22, having previously used just a scope on my other 10/22s.

Considering the ballistics of the .357, you probably won't be shooting at much past 100 yards, and a peep sight might be just the ticket. It wouldn't look out of place on a cowboy gun, either.

But if you do go with a scope, definitely stick with something compact. You don't need a lot of magnification or a huge objective.

Marlin peep sights

Lyman Products Your Primary Source for Reloading Equipment

Open Gun Sights and Fiber Optic Gun Sights from Williams Gun Sight
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    and check out the hundreds of old Marlin lever guns that show up on the pawn shop shelves.... at least half of them will have the sling swivel screw drilled right through the middle of the bullseye

Oops that where I mounted mine!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links