Another gun advice question...

This is a discussion on Another gun advice question... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Doublestar Star 15 M4 16" 6 Pos. Stock .223 for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $659.00 I really want to get an SBR (scary black ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another gun advice question...

Wink Another gun advice question...

Doublestar Star 15 M4 16" 6 Pos. Stock .223 for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $659.00

I really want to get an SBR (scary black rifle), but my budget is tight. Does anyone here own any of these? Reviews, good bad etc?

Thx!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I don't own one, but I have heard good things about DoubleStar rifles.
    Walk softly ...

BAC
    What do you want to do with it and how much of a hurry are you in to get it?

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    What do you want to do with it and how much of a hurry are you in to get it?

-B
    I want to shoot it, oddly enough!!!

No, I am just considering buying one as I have wanted one since I shot M-16's in the Navy CB's. I wouldn't shoot it a lot, maybe... Maybe use it for target, tactical courses down the road and for use against coyotes etc if I ever decide to go hunt them.

I am not in a huge hurry, I am just considering selling a rifle or two I have now and then buying one.

The biggest reason is that I want to invade Canada on my own, but I have a really limited budget!!!

Disclaimer!

Hey Gov, the preceding is a joke and I have no intentions of invading a neighbouring country...
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

BAC
    For your purposes, the rifle sounds fine (don't forget to factor in another $50 or more for a rear sight). A gun that you might drag through a carbine course will probably need a little more toughening up; frankly, most of the issues that would be had can be taken care of by staking the carrier keys and castle nut, using a good bolt assembly, and using lots of good gun lube like Slip 2000 or similar. If you want to make a routine out of carbine courses and expect higher round counts, you may need to look past these upgrades to getting a more appropriate rifle for the task.

The "how soon" is more a question of how patient you'd be willing to be in case this wasn't the rifle you really wanted (or needed for your stated purpose). Since it doesn't sound like you're going to be a carbine course or competition junkie (...or invade our frostier northern neighbor), I'll spare you any more of my ramblings.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Hey, since I have only shot iron sites on an M16/M203, how do I mount a scope to this so I won't be staring at the front sight?

Patrick Henry

I picked up this same rifle from a local shop about a year ago. I have put nearly 1500 rounds through it and have not had a single problem one. I would recomend this weapon to anyone. Here is a pic of mine as it looks now with a few added options.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I picked up this same rifle from a local shop about a year ago. I have put nearly 1500 rounds through it and have not had a single problem one. I would recommend this weapon to anyone. Here is a pic of mine as it looks now with a few added options.
    Thanks, that is good news. I am really meticulous on cleaning my guns and keeping them in excellent shooting condition and I don't shoot too much, but I have this in mind for an SHTF gun and also for general shooting, etc.
    Also, your pic allows me to see how a scope is mounted. Can you see the front site through the scope?

Patrick Henry

I picked up this same rifle from a local shop about a year ago. I have put nearly 1500 rounds through it and have not had a single problem one. I would recomend this weapon to anyone. Here is a pic of mine as it looks now with a few added options.
    Please tell me who makes that vertical fore grip. I really want one of those.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    Thanks, that is good news. I am really meticulous on cleaning my guns and keeping them in excellent shooting condition and I don't shoot too much, but I have this in mind for an SHTF gun and also for general shooting, etc.
    Also, your pic allows me to see how a scope is mounted. Can you see the front site through the scope?

I had a scope on mine for a short bit. The front sight just sort of blurred out. Wasn't an issue at all.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

if i were you, i'd go Rock River or LMT.

No, with this set up you can not see the front sight. From looking at the picture, you would think you could, but you can't.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Please tell me who makes that vertical fore grip. I really want one of those.
    TN_Mike, that front fore grip is made by the Mako group. This is a link for the cheapest place I have found it. Mako T-Grip Tactical Foregrip with 1 Flashlight adapter - Black [MAK-T-GRIP-B] - $59.95 : Area 51 Tactical, 334 375-7153

Hope this helps.

Hey, since I have only shot iron sites on an M16/M203, how do I mount a scope to this so I won't be staring at the front sight?
    UnklFungus, the scope mount that I use is the Burris P.E.P.R. mount. this allows for a varity of scope sizes and lenghts as well as it has picitiny mounts on the tops of the rings for, say a red dot holographic for CQB. Here is a link for the cheapest place I found it.
    Burris AR-P.E.P.R. 1" Scope Mount

Hope this helps.

UnklFungus, the scope mount that I use is the Burris P.E.P.R. mount. this allows for a varity of scope sizes and lenghts as well as it has picitiny mounts on the tops of the rings for, say a red dot holographic for CQB. Here is a link for the cheapest place I found it.
    Burris AR-P.E.P.R. 1" Scope Mount

Hope this helps.
    It helps a lot, thank you! I can't wait to get one!

Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links