This looks interesting... - Page 2

This looks interesting...

This is a discussion on This looks interesting... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks for the reply, now that being said, what are the advantages of the 1:7 and 1:8 other than accuracy with hotter loads after 100 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This looks interesting...

Thanks for the reply, now that being said, what are the advantages of the 1:7 and 1:8 other than accuracy with hotter loads after 100 yards? is that just simply it? is there an explanation why the twist ratio does this? Im just trying to get as educated as possible.. do you think there will be a barrel available in that configuration? I think my bushy has a 1:9 twist.. is this something i should be looking to upgrade as well?

BAC
    Not hotter loads, necessarily, but heavier/longer bullets. The heavier/longer a bullet is, the more inertia it has and the more it resists spinning. This necessitates a tighter twist so you can put more spin on the bullet to stabilize it well enough to fly well. The plus to these heavier/longer bullets is that they stay stable longer and have better flight characteristics. When bullets in the 70+ gr are used, a 1:9 twist usually won't stabilize them enough for consistent accuracy.

If you never shoot more than 69 gr bullets then a 1:8 and 1:7 twist barrel give you nothing... but it won't hurt anything you shoot, either ("overstabilizing" = myth). If you do shoot heavier bullets, or plan to, then you'll be better served with a tighter twist barrel. Competition shooters like heavier/longer bullets, and arguably the best LE duty loads in 5.56x45 are 75-77 grs.

Bushmaster had the perfect opportunity to get 1:7 barrels exactly like those Remington is getting, but still chose to do their own thing seemingly "just because". I'm not so confident Bushmaster will be offering 1:7 barrels. I'm not even confident they'll offer SBR assemblies or the Remington aluminum lowers. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    That looks like the one Magpul designed...

I think it is in fact...

Non the less a sweet looking carbine. I wonder if it might make it to my toy chest?? haha
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

How can they justify a mostly polymer rifle costing over $2,000?

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    How can they justify a mostly polymer rifle costing over $2,000?
    Because

A) MSRP =/= street price. MSRP for rifles is usually $300 or so more than street price. Unless it's a SCAR that a gun shop can only buy if it buys a package of other FN guns in which the SCAR is only one gun.

B) It's not mostly polymer. Lotta polymer, but not mostly polymer. (I pick nits. )

-B

Thanks for the speedy response and the innformation on barrel twists i appreciate all he knowledge everyone here kicks around. I know consider my self schooled.

BAC
    Well, as of SHOT show it's official that Bushmaster turned this outstanding idea into a $3000, 1:9 barrel, non-swapping-pistol-grip, 8.5lb empty mistake. Way to snatch defeat from the jaws of market victory, Bushmaster.

-B

$3000 msrp!!!?!?

Well, they just priced themselves out of the market for about 90% of the gun buying market, the other flaws notwithstanding.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Magpul Industries, indicating they are the design house that came up with the "Masada" design, with Bushmaster as the selected group with the marketing rights. In this video, the person doing the demo does mention the ACR acronym.

YouTube -- Magpul Industries showing the "Masada" prototype at the 2008 Fort Morgan Machine Gun Shoot in Colorado.

Interesting features. I wouldn't have any particular need to do quick-swaps of caliber, but it's nice to see that everything quickly strips to component parts, that the barrel swaps easily. Basically, with the push of a couple pins, you're inside the problem parts and can easily swap in a replacement. Very nice, with the AAC suppressor.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

From the 2010 catalog for Magpul Industries, pp80-81:

The Adaptive Combat Rifle (ACR) is the culmination of the united efforts of Remington Arms Company, Bushmaster Firearms International and Magpul Industries to bring the innovative Magpul Masada concept to market.

Unlike many weapons of its type, the Masada was not designed around a government solicitation or specification sheet, but was independently funded by Magpul and developed from the ground up in Boulder, Colorado. Six operational prototypes were molded, analyzed, built and test-fired in preparation for their public debut at the 2007 SHOT Show.

These original prototypes featured a modular and tool-less system to allow for rapid reconfigurable length, caliber, magazine compatibility, stock type, and fire-control to adapt to the mission at hand. This modularity forms an integral part of the ACR system combining a gas-piston operating system; tool-less, quick-change barrel system; multi-adjustable folding stock (optional) and integrated storage.

This unique firearm concept is contained in a package with the familiar feel of the M16/M4 series of weapons allowing for a natural transition with minimal re-training. The ACR platform represents the fusion of ground-breaking design and world class manufacturing to create an advanced weapon system for military, law-enforcement and civilian shooters.

As the concept originator, Magpul looks forward to leveraging our strength in ergonomic optimization to offer continued accessory enhancements for the Remington/Bushmaster ACR system. Scheduled for release the first half of 2010.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links