mossberg 88

This is a discussion on mossberg 88 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey everybody. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with the Mossberg 88. I've found it locally for 220. Do you like 'em? It's ...

Thread: mossberg 88

mossberg 88

Hey everybody. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with the Mossberg 88. I've found it locally for 220. Do you like 'em? It's primarily to sit next to my bed at night for home defense. Thanks for your help.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

2. Remove Ads

It's virtually the same thing as the 500, just a couple minor differences to reduce cost which im not sure what that is at the moment. A good gun for the money and good enough for what you need it for. Obviously you'd want something better if you hunt or do tactical gun courses.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Yeah that's what I thought from what I'd researched already....
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

I would look into getting a shortened pistol grip for it if its going to be strictly HD. You want to reduce your outreach as much as possible in a close quarters setting, less chance of the BG snatching it and taking it from you.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

good gun. Just FYI I saw a used Remington 870P today on gunbroker up for auction no bids at 145.00 Looks good some wear on the wood stock but for what your needing most likely a good buy too.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=152961698
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I had one for my wife's HD shotgun. The action was VERY stiff. She had to plant the but on her hip to cycle it and then return to point. Considering the intended purpose, it was next to useless after the first shot.
    I had the action "stoned", but it didn't help much. After about 300 rounds the forend (synthetic) started to split. That's when I traded it off.

I love Mossburg 500/590's and have more than one, but they made a mistake going "cheap" with the Maverick 88's in my opinion.

P.S. I saw one this past week for $179.95, new in box w/ 28" vent rib bbl and synthetic stock. The extra 18.5" "cruiser" bbl was $59.95.
    Last edited by TSKnight; January 7th, 2010 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Additional info
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

If you are talking about the Maverick 88 series, then I have the same one. I had one issue which was when I was rapid firing the gun a spent shell would stay stuck in the breech. I read that it was most likely gunk (cosmoline) that was still left. I used a green pad and some solvent and haven't had the issue return.

As far as the differences, it has a plastic/polymer trigger assembly, I believe the safety is different as it is in the trigger assembly as opposed to on the receiver and the pump action is one piece as opposed to 2. This means that you can't change out the forgrip without replaceing the little arm (can't remember proper term). This is easily done with the 870 part.

Love mine. I have 2, actually. One is a field model, the other being a security model. I keep the security model on the gun rack in my bedroom, and totally trust it. I've added a heat shield and a slip-on shell holder.

The 88 is a very good gun at a very good price.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I owned one for a short while just because I got it at a good price and I was looking for a shotgun I could use for game hunting. I eventually sold it because I'm more of a fan of the Remington 870 but the Maverick 88 is a solid choice that won't break the bank at all. I'm thinking about getting the security model for a cheap knock around shotgun and to arm a family member in the event of an emergency.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

The Maverick IMO is a better choice than the 500 IF you have the Secops recoil reducing stock.
    The 500's tang safety is a PITA to operate compared to the Mavericks crossbolt design.

“Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Links