Defensive Carry banner

MSAR/ AUG for home defense

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Bob The Great 
#1 ·
This past weekend at a gun show I held a MSAR for the first time, and yeah it could almost be described as love at first sight.
For a carbine as short as it is, it does not have to be an SBR, a major plus to me. The ergonomic's are perfect for me. Not to mention the rail would be perfect for an Aimpoint or EO tech. I will be saving for one and I believe it to be the perfect home defense rifle. What do you guys think? I'd love to hear from any MSAR/ AUG owners how you feel about them.

#3 ·
I don't know about a good AK, but a solid post nonetheless. :hand10:

-B

#4 ·
Aren't those chambered in 5.56?

If you can afford it by all means go for it!

You can save yourself a bunch of money buy getting an AR-15 and lots of ammo for the price of a MSAR, as Mitchell stated you can also take a defensive carbine course. Or you can really cut down the cost and go with a 12 gauge pump shotgun for home defense!

#5 ·
I fired one for the first time yesterday (set up for us leftys!) and I thought it was an SBR looking at it. I don't know if there are any advantages other than length and handy-ness (if that's a word). Plus the neatness factor.

#6 ·
The issue with most bullpup designs is getting a face full of hot brass if you need to fire from your off-side shoulder.

The new Kel-tec bullpup solves this by ejecting cases to the front. Of course, this results in a pile of brass in front of you, that you need to step on or over as you advance forward.

I prefer a more conventional design that ejects spent shells well away from me. YMMV.

#7 ·
That Kel-Tec RFB I think its called looks promising but I dislike the MSRP.... given most dealers cut down the price I'm thinking it will be within the 1,400-1,500 dollar range. Considering its chambered for the 308 (7.62x51 NATO) its an expensive gun to shoot. If I could afford it I'd buy one.

#8 ·
The MSAR is an awesome gun. Also, I read an article today that Saber Defense is now making the Steyr Aug and I checked Gunbroker and there's a few "buy it now" items in the $1500 range.

But you could get a solid AR and a class for that price as said above. Or an AK, and a shotgun, and a handgun... or....

#9 ·
I like the MSAR, but it is pricey for sure. If you get one, make sure it is the newer E4 model that accepts standard AR mags. The older ones with the proprietary mags are cheaper now, but extra mags will up the cost significantly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.