MSAR/ AUG for home defense

This is a discussion on MSAR/ AUG for home defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This past weekend at a gun show I held a MSAR for the first time, and yeah it could almost be described as love at ...

Thread: MSAR/ AUG for home defense

MSAR/ AUG for home defense

This past weekend at a gun show I held a MSAR for the first time, and yeah it could almost be described as love at first sight.
    For a carbine as short as it is, it does not have to be an SBR, a major plus to me. The ergonomic's are perfect for me. Not to mention the rail would be perfect for an Aimpoint or EO tech. I will be saving for one and I believe it to be the perfect home defense rifle. What do you guys think? I'd love to hear from any MSAR/ AUG owners how you feel about them.

2. Remove Ads

For the cost, you can buy a good AK, 5 mags, a case of ammo and a 2 day rifle class which would make you able to defend your home better than putting down the $$ for a more expensive weapon.

BAC
    I don't know about a good AK, but a solid post nonetheless.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Aren't those chambered in 5.56?

If you can afford it by all means go for it!

You can save yourself a bunch of money buy getting an AR-15 and lots of ammo for the price of a MSAR, as Mitchell stated you can also take a defensive carbine course. Or you can really cut down the cost and go with a 12 gauge pump shotgun for home defense!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I fired one for the first time yesterday (set up for us leftys!) and I thought it was an SBR looking at it. I don't know if there are any advantages other than length and handy-ness (if that's a word). Plus the neatness factor.

The issue with most bullpup designs is getting a face full of hot brass if you need to fire from your off-side shoulder.

The new Kel-tec bullpup solves this by ejecting cases to the front. Of course, this results in a pile of brass in front of you, that you need to step on or over as you advance forward.

I prefer a more conventional design that ejects spent shells well away from me. YMMV.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    That Kel-Tec RFB I think its called looks promising but I dislike the MSRP.... given most dealers cut down the price I'm thinking it will be within the 1,400-1,500 dollar range. Considering its chambered for the 308 (7.62x51 NATO) its an expensive gun to shoot. If I could afford it I'd buy one.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

The MSAR is an awesome gun. Also, I read an article today that Saber Defense is now making the Steyr Aug and I checked Gunbroker and there's a few "buy it now" items in the $1500 range.

But you could get a solid AR and a class for that price as said above. Or an AK, and a shotgun, and a handgun... or....
    "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I like the MSAR, but it is pricey for sure. If you get one, make sure it is the newer E4 model that accepts standard AR mags. The older ones with the proprietary mags are cheaper now, but extra mags will up the cost significantly.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Links