Home Defense Rifle. - Page 2

Home Defense Rifle.

This is a discussion on Home Defense Rifle. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an old Win94 30-30 with and a Ruger PC-9 carbine to supplement my 12ga, 357 and 9mm selections. The PC-9 uses the same ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Defense Rifle.

I have an old Win94 30-30 with and a Ruger PC-9 carbine to supplement my 12ga, 357 and 9mm selections.

The PC-9 uses the same mags as my Ruger P-89 pistol and the mags are a dime a dozen. Its semi-auto and has a blowback action. Very reliable, fun to shoot, cheap to buy. I got mine for under $300.

No I'm not paranoid; I have a large house, barn and am typically more worried about the 4-legged problems that the 2....

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    p90

for all your close quarter needs. 50 fully automatic reasons the bad guy should have chose your neighbor.

Perhaps a .30 M1 carbine.

Light weapon about 8lbs and 20+ inches long. .30 caliber round is effective. Magazines range from 5 to 30 rounds.

I have a Universal Arms .30 carbine and like it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    9mm out of a carbine will have more overpenetration issues than .223; 9mm rounds keep punching though walls, while .223 will fragment...
    This can't be true. Seriously? I shoot 147 grain HP's that I got a case of from a LEO friend. They feed well and I believe they are standard pressure. Typically I have my Walther PPS and my Fenix LD20 bedside but if the situation called for turning up the heat I could always fall back to the PCC for some metal storm action.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    This can't be true. Seriously? I shoot 147 grain HP's that I got a case of from a LEO friend. They feed well and I believe they are standard pressure. Typically I have my Walther PPS and my Fenix LD20 bedside but if the situation called for turning up the heat I could always fall back to the PCC for some metal storm action.
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Become enlightened.

It is true.

Seriously.

See the link above for proof.

.223 tends to yaw after hitting something solid; when it yaws, it breaks apart...9mm tends to keep driving on.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Actually, very true. Because of their slower velocity, pistol rounds have less of a tendency to break up on impact. Rifle rounds tend to self-destruct.

There was an episode of MythBusters where they were trying to test the myth of being able to dive under water to escape someone shooting at you. They found that pistol rounds were still lethal at a pretty good distance (around 12 ft. IRC) but they could not recover any rifle rounds as they disintegrated when they hit the water. They even borrowed a swimming pool and tried it with a 50 BMG and even the big fifty blew up in the water.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I stand corrected. Good thing I didn't say "prove it and I'll eat my words" because getting this 24" widescreen in my big mouth would be a chore.

HK USC 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

This stuff stays attached to my belt, in the pants next to the bed. Shoes are there as well.

This isn't far away. Although it's got a 235lumen Fenix PD30 mounted ahead of the front sight (not pictured)
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I have a 95lb Doberman Pincsher. If she fails the ward off the threat then I have my AR with Frangible ammo.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    In addition you may not have to shoot your carbine if they break in. ARs look scaaaaaaaaary..... especially if you equip a green beam on em'
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    In addition you may not have to shoot your carbine if they break in. ARs look scaaaaaaaaary..... especially if you equip a green beam on em'
    Good grief...

There's just so much wrong with that statement/belief that it's hard to know where to start...

If it's night, how will the intruder see it? The green beam, yes...which will show them right where you are, without really effecting their ability to fight back...but they ain't gonna see the rifle; for all they know, it's a pointer...

Give me a high-lumen light that will blind them momentarily while I ID them, determine if they're armed, and any other factors that may need to be addressed, instead of trying to scare them with a tacticool lazer.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Good grief...

There's just so much wrong with that statement/belief that it's hard to know where to start...

If it's night, how will the intruder see it? The green beam, yes...which will show them right where you are, without really effecting their ability to fight back...but they ain't gonna see the rifle; for all they know, it's a pointer...

Give me a high-lumen light that will blind them momentarily while I ID them, determine if they're armed, and any other factors that may need to be addressed, instead of trying to scare them with a tacticool lazer.
    I think you're taking his post too literal and serious. He is right however that AR's are very intimidating weapons and it doesnt necessarilly mean its going to be pitch black when using a laser either. They will probably see the gun. Take it for what its worth man.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links